86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So I Bought an '86 for $1000...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I Bought an '86 for $1000...

Hey, I am new to this forum, Toyotas, and 4x4s.

I just bought a nice 86 4x4 pickup with 186k miles, everything else is stock (I think)

I am not sure where to go with it. I want to fix her up, and build something, but not sure exactly what yet. I have a few ideas after doing a little research, but would like some advice on where to start.

The only thing that did not work on the truck when I bought it a week ago was the parking brake. Turns out the bell crank assembly was frozen. I fixed that, put on new shoes, and the breaks are great now.

Yesterday the driver side window got jammed real bad from old weather stripping, so that is the next thing on my list. Then it has a hard time starting unless it is above 70deg outside. Once it is warm, it runs great.

Other then those things I wanted to get advice and suggestions on where to start this build. I am a family guy, with an outdoor family. So my top priority is to get us back into the areas on Northern Colorado, and out safely.

I'd like to get a little larger tires, upgrade the suspension (maybe a small lift), get some off road bumpers for the front and rear, winch, a couple of extra lights, roll/light bar for the bed, rear mounted seats for the bed, etc. Things like that.

In the reading I have done over the last week, there is a lot more I have to learn about to start putting this 4x4 together. Things like gear ratios, locking differentials, suspension changes, engine upgrades, etc. Are still a mystery to me.

With all that said, what do you think? Where is the best place to start with this project? Engine, Trans., Suspension, Frame and body, Tires, and wheels?

Thanks for the help, and advice.

PS - If anyone knows of some good part dealers in Northern Colorado, please let me know.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:16 PM

Weather Stripping

Hey, anyone know where to get good weather stripping to replace the ones on the interior, and exterior of the window on the driver and passenger side doors?

I also need to replace the weather stripping around the top of the window too.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use the Change Vehicle to put in your rigs info and then look on the Body tab for the correct section:
http://www.toyotapartseast.com/secti...rts-11946.html

Others may know, but I'm thinking dealer only.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:00 PM

Wow bud I to just bought one earlier this week my need a lot of interior work
Old 05-20-2012, 08:12 PM

pics!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
pics x2
Old 05-21-2012, 05:30 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech

:wabbit2:
Old 05-21-2012, 07:15 AM

Welcome to YT. Yota Jim in Denver is awesome. PICSx3
Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your cold start injector and your aux air valve for that cold start problem. Should be a few threads on here about how to check those.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM

Ok, you asked a lot of questions right off the bat! First off run some seafoam through the tank and then through the motor. Follow the directions on the can.
Change all of your fluids oil,gear oil etc.
Tires and lift... Just put on new good shocks and grease the hell out of your truck.
Tires buy some used 16s and put on 265/75r16s on your truck. Treadwright sells retreads for cheep, they will work great for you.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Use the Change Vehicle to put in your rigs info and then look on the Body tab for the correct section:
http://www.toyotapartseast.com/secti...rts-11946.html

Others may know, but I'm thinking dealer only.
I looked this up, and it is all there. Awesome, and a HUGE help. Thanks a million.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:20 PM

'86 4x4 Truck Fiber Glass

I'm looking at replacing my stock front and rear finders with fiberglass.

I went and took a look at them yesterday, and the front seems relatively easy to install. The rear though, looks tough. Does anyone have some experience replacing the stock rear finders with fiberglass ones on a '86?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-David
Old 05-22-2012, 07:25 PM

Awesome Video?

I saw this yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7GNF...e_gdata_player

It looks really cool, but I am courious if it is legit. Seems too cool, know what I mean.

I am just starting to put ideas together for my '86 4x4 Truck, and am thinking about a 25% mix of this truck, with another 25% of a solid rock crawler, and the other 50% setup as a daily driver.

Is this a good thought process, or just wishful thinking?

Any thoughts, and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For what it's worth... it's definitely legit. Total Chaos makes some serious hardware that will stand up to just about anything. I'm surprised they didn't show any jumps.

As far as mixing it up goes, I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you even want to come close to the capabilities of that truck, you'll be looking at some monies. If you want to rock crawl... you can stay IFS, or put a solid axel under there. Some guys swear by the Blazeland IFS long travel kit, similar to the one in the video, but maybe not as stout, and far cheaper.

I think you need to decide primarily what you want to use the truck for, and then how much you want to spend on it. Also keep in mind the style of desert running shown in the video is most likely 2wd, as CV joints (that don't cost a fortune) will NOT be able to keep up with the articulation and strain.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 AM

Okay, Pictures coming soon.

I also have an interesting question. I saw a post on frontrange4x4.com where a guy was interested in trading custom fab work for a website. I own a online marketing, and web design company, so I sent an email and met him Monday morning. Anyhow, we are going to take care of all of his online needs for a front and rear bumper, rock sliders, and a light bar/roll bar/headache rack.

Part of the trade is that I need to buy the steel which is $500. The custom fab guy said that I need to make sure I have the correct finders on so the all the custom pieces fit correctly. So my $500, is more like $500 + new fiberglass fenders, tires, suspension, etc.

To me, getting the new steel is backwards of how I would normally build this. So I feel like I am needing to get everything at once, just because of the timing of getting these custom pieces.

Any thoughts, and advice would be great.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:17 AM

Total Chaos is legit, but to have suspension comparable to that truck, you're looking to spend at least $5,000...
Old 05-23-2012, 01:17 PM

Cool video, looks like it was filmed in the Mojave during the week. Weekends that place is packed with 2 and 4 wheelers to be hauling that fast.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:45 PM

Welcome. No pics..cmon already...!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 PM

Okay, okay. I have some pics now.

Let me see if I can load them on here...
Old 05-23-2012, 08:42 PM

So I have tried several ways to get the pics from my iPhone on here, but it is taking up too much memory. I'll reformat them, and post them shortly.

Quick Reply: So I Bought an '86 for $1000...