86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smog Help... Again...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Thanks a lot, guys! No code that I know of. However, tech mentioned something about a sensor so possibly the TPS.

Phil,,

Yeah, 32°... Maybe he read the timing angle from diagnostic equipment?
Thanks for the pics. My year has a round connector that needs to to be jumped.

Terry,
I'll focus on the timing first 'cause that's the only issue the tech mentioned. I wont be completely accurate, though unless I have a tach.
An advance timing light has a button or dial that shows timing advance. Turn the knob to whatever number and the light will flash the zero mark. For instance, set the light to 22° and when the timing is at 22° the crank pulley mark will line up with 0.
I recently worked on a 3.0 with a faulty tps. Timing showed like 28° or something at idle. If you were actually at 32° base timing, you would be pinging like crazy. Short the diag connector and check for codes. Also check to see if the timing changes when you short the connector(hook up the light, and while watching the mark, pull the jumper wire out and see if the timing mark moves). If it doesn't, your computer isn't seeing the idle signal from the tps. Either faulty, misadjusted, or filthy throttle body hanging the butterfly open.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:16 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Leading to TPS

Thanks, j2the-e, Eton and guys.

Originally Posted by j2the-e
.... If you were actually at 32° base timing, you would be pinging like crazy...
Exactly. She runs as strong and smooth as you'd expect a 22R-E to, I get 20/22 MPG, I've driven her to Shasta and back to SD, To Big Sur and back to SD with no issues.

Short the diag connector and check for codes. Also check to see if the timing changes when you short the connector(hook up the light, and while watching the mark, pull the jumper wire out and see if the timing mark moves).
No change in idle when diag connector is jumped. (mentioned in 4crawler site, too)

If it doesn't, your computer isn't seeing the idle signal from the tps. Either faulty, misadjusted, or filthy throttle body hanging the butterfly open.
Yes, will check that tomorrow. I'm also trying to find which section of FSM TPS is covered, but haven't found it yet. Could anyone pls point it out? (i.e., EC for Emission control, FI for Fuel system, etc)

Update:
Found relevant write-ups on TPS adjustment, Throttle body maintenance and Checks. Cleaning throttle body as you guys suggest is surely a sensible preventive maintenance activity. After all, this is a 27-YO truck and we do not know when throttle body was last cleaned.

Thanks a lot to the following for sharing their knowledge:
LCE's
4Crawler's

P.S. Thanks, Chefyota, for noticing the oil on top of my cylinder head cover; cover nuts were very loose! Fixed that yesterday. Can't find any torque spec for nuts (I guess because these have rubber-loaded washers), so I just made them hand-tight.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 07-20-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: TPS discussed by LCE & 4Crawler
Old 07-21-2013, 03:53 PM

Got Code & Cleaned Throttle Body

Hi guys,
Update:
Throttle feels sticking so I cleaned the butterfly valve, the walls around it and got rid of that sticking.
Shorted the connector encircled in light blue on 4Crawler site here.

Got CEL. I have no code reader but I count 11 flashes. Then pause, then 11 flashes...

Now searching for what that means. Hope someone can post it here if you know.

TIA
Old 07-21-2013, 06:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TroubleCodes/
Old 07-21-2013, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just go to search browser type in check engine light codes for OBD1.
You'll see code 11 you have Momentarily power to your ECU you mite want to check out your throttle position sensor. Check the Connection.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:50 PM

Wow low Compression on 1&3 well it all go's well for you.
Rings and head if your that far why not a complete rebuild that would be fun.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 AM

Thanks, Phil.
11 flashes points to TPS etc.

I've never had a CEL until I shorted out those terminal.
Isn't shorting out the terminals necessary to set timing, and a CEL is a normal outcome of that? OR am I wrong, and I should not get a CEL/ code when I short out the terminals to check timing?
OR do you think there was already an error cord and shorting the terminals is how one would force ECU to display the code?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:07 AM

Ray,

you do need to short the terminal every time you set timing.

I don't know if you can have a fault code without it flashing on the dashboard firstso it's hard to tell if your code was a result of shorting the terminal or if it was already there all along
Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Thanks, Phil.
11 flashes points to TPS etc.

I've never had a CEL until I shorted out those terminal.
Isn't shorting out the terminals necessary to set timing, and a CEL is a normal outcome of that? OR am I wrong, and I should not get a CEL/ code when I short out the terminals to check timing?
OR do you think there was already an error cord and shorting the terminals is how one would force ECU to display the code?
Code 11 is for no idle signal from the tps. The ecu won't show a check engine light for this fault because it has no way to determine if there is a problem. It just thinks you are holding the throttle open. Until you install the jumper wire. fix your TPS and you will be able to set base timing. And you must always install the jumper to properly set the timing.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:28 AM

So shorting the pins makes sure that ECU sees TPS at idle position when setting timing?
11 flashes code was caused by shorting the pins so that's normal?
Tnx, guys
Old 07-22-2013, 07:36 AM

Ray, i'd do this in this order:
1) remove throttle body and adjust tps to spec (4crawler has an article)
2) short diag port and set timing

You need throttle plate adjusted to spec to properly adjust tps, and then tps working to set timing (I think)
Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Philbert
Ray, i'd do this in this order:
1) remove throttle body and adjust tps to spec (4crawler has an article)
2) short diag port and set timing
You need throttle plate adjusted to spec to properly adjust tps, and then tps working to set timing (I think)
Thanks, Phil and guys.
To bad I'm running out of time 'cause smog cert is due on the 28th. So busy at the office right now so might just have to take it to a trusted shop to have this looked at.

Lesson learned: get smog check done at least a month before due date. (Smog check station also gives me 30 days to have problem done, then I'll just have to pay them $10 for cert when I come back.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Blind an
Wow low Compression on 1&3 well it all go's well for you.
Rings and head if your that far why not a complete rebuild that would be fun.
Fun except spending the $ on it isnt, esp for a runner I picked up for $3k. I found a guy who is recommended by the guys on here Tim and CT Engineering, he wants $800 to do the head, and in a worst case scenario, $2700 for a full rebuild. Seems like a good deal to me considering rebuilt 22re's seem to be 2200-2500+.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:42 PM

Pair valve is not needed to pass smog readings. It may fail a visual if they are looking for it. The pair system only operates when the engine is cold, and during deceleration. It looks like this test was performed at a constant speed, so pair valve being removed will have no effect at all.

I still want to know, what are your compression numbers?
It was low on 3 and 2, not 1 and 3. =) 87psi and 110psi. Both low. Now im thinking new pistons, rings, and new head.

Thoughts? Would that low compression cause my HC and CO to be high?

Thanks,
Eton
Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by etont
Fun except spending the $ on it isnt, esp for a runner I picked up for $3k. I found a guy who is recommended by the guys on here Tim and CT Engineering, he wants $800 to do the head, and in a worst case scenario, $2700 for a full rebuild. Seems like a good deal to me considering rebuilt 22re's seem to be 2200-2500+.
Wow $2700 dollar for a 22re. What in that price deal? Even though I still trust a rebuild over a remanufactured or a used engine
Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by etont
It was low on 3 and 2, not 1 and 3. =) 87psi and 110psi. Both low. Now im thinking new pistons, rings, and new head.

Thoughts? Would that low compression cause my HC and CO to be high?

Thanks,
Eton
It can. If the compression is low enough to cause the fuel to not burn completely. Gauges all vary as well, so without knowing what the "good" cylinders tested, I don't have a great idea of how low your compression is. However, with 2 adjacent cylinders being low, I might suspect a head gasket issue. Did they ever perform a leak down test? I know you said compression came back up with a wet test, but it always comes up with a wet test. Leak down is the best way to know for sure where the problem lies. It could also be a weak spark, which allows the unburned fuel to wash the cylinder walls. Or any number of other issues

Last edited by j2the-e; 07-23-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:54 AM

It can. If the compression is low enough to cause the fuel to not burn completely. Gauges all vary as well, so without knowing what the "good" cylinders tested, I don't have a great idea of how low your compression is. However, with 2 adjacent cylinders being low, I might suspect a head gasket issue. Did they ever perform a leak down test? I know you said compression came back up with a wet test, but it always comes up with a wet test. Leak down is the best way to know for sure where the problem lies. It could also be a weak spark, which allows the unburned fuel to wash the cylinder walls. Or any number of other issues
They did do a leak down test, they told me they were fairly sure it was the valves not ring/pistons. But as always, couldnt tell me for sure until they pulled the head.

Im thinking I will buy a new head from engbldr and replace the head myself, but before I bolt on the new one, snap some pictures of the pistons to see if anyone can tell if they need to be done as well.

On that note, I have never done a head gasket, seems fairly simple. I heard a trick to put the gasket on the block, then gasket sealer on the head for a good dependable seal... Any thoughts?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Blind an
Wow $2700 dollar for a 22re. What in that price deal? Even though I still trust a rebuild over a remanufactured or a used engine
2700 being low or high? =) It would be a, drop my car off, they pull the motor do all the work. Machine the block, crank, etc all seals, new head, etc. A true re-build.