Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Small coolant leak with pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small coolant leak with pics

Hey guys, trying to figure this out quick. I've been seeing some spots on the driveway. Took off the skidplate today and found a coolant drip onto the oil pan and eventually further down. Coming from a place where a large hose ends...maybe it is a gasket leak? If anyone recognizes this and can point me in the direction, I'd be much obliged. Thanks.

Name:  leak2.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  leak.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  58.6 KB
Old 11-20-2010, 10:22 AM

So after researching for a couple minutes it seems like this is the thermostat housing. Is it reasonable that the gasket would start leaking without the thermostat even being changed or anything?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Your thermostat is that low? It sure looks like that's what it is.

Anyhow;

You can see that the mounting studs for that housing are completely corroded. It could be the housing is cracked, or the thermostat 'seal'(a rubber ring around the thermostat that serves as the gasket, nothing else) has finally failed. Personally, I can't see how you'd get those nuts off without damaging the threads, and even then, you'd probably not want to use them again, right?

If you have a book, I'd look into exactly what you need to do/remove/what tools you'll need to remove that housing, then replace the studs while in there. It's the 3.0, right? ...so is the thermostat housing bolted to the aluminum intake or to the block? Don't have my book in front of me, sorry, and not a big 3.0 knowledge base myself, lol. Be sure you clean the surfaces of both the housing AND flange where the thermostat seal rests, VERY WELL, ....then go from there. Maybe someone on here will know what the size of those studs are. Meaning "M8x1.25" ???? You can probably order all 3(maybe there's 2? lol) with the nuts, from Toyota, for a few dollars. Eventually, that could be sucking in air to your coolant system, which will cause some wonky running in some cases. But more importantly, you can't have a leak that could get VERY MUCH WORSE while driving around town, ya know?

PS> I pulled the timing cover and waterpump feed pipe(on mine, that's kinda what it looks like and where it is, to be honest), from a junk yard clean motor for a buddy... took all the studs and bolts from the entire cover, etc.... My point is, you CAN find the stuff, many places... Personally, I'd just order them and be done with it for 8$ or whatever.

PSS> is it running warm? If so, would make sense that the Thermostat is stuck and causing tons of pressure, thus...LEAKAGE! lol. I'ma go get my book and see what that is... Is that picture looking from the top, downward, at the right side of the timing cover?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
yep! just like anything else parts over time wear out. the gasket should be cheap and while your at it do some preventive maintenance and chage your thermostat
Old 11-20-2010, 10:40 AM

One picture is from below where the skid plate would be, and one is from above. Yes its the 3.0. I'm not driving the truck right now, getting ready to sell it actually. I'm not completely sure that's the thermostat housing but it seems like it based on reading in the haynes manual...is there also something called the water outlet?

Also...it seems there isn't a full gasket that goes on the housing but just a rubber o ring that sits inside...surprising that that would be enough to prevent leaks...

No, it's not running warm, but yeah I would replace the thermostat anyway during all of this...

Last edited by CoolDoodz99; 11-20-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:02 AM

Hey there,

Originally Posted by CoolDoodz99
One picture is from below where the skid plate would be, and one is from above. Yes its the 3.0. I'm not driving the truck right now, getting ready to sell it actually. I'm not completely sure that's the thermostat housing but it seems like it based on reading in the haynes manual...is there also something called the water outlet? That's what I mentioned... the Water Pump Outlet has a slightly bulbous look(thinking not that much, lol) and it's only seal is the hose clamp... That seems to have studs....which means it mounts, independently, unlike the water pump outlet.

Also...it seems there isn't a full gasket that goes on the housing but just a rubber o ring that sits inside...surprising that that would be enough to prevent leaks... There are several like that on these Yotas.... Tiny lil o-ring holds the up-pipe into the underside of the manifold on the 22re.... And, these thermostat housing seals are actually genius.... I have had them stay sealed for 13 years, and probably would have stayed sealed if I hadn't gone in there for replacing the thermostat when I bought it.

No, it's not running warm, but yeah I would replace the thermostat anyway during all of this... Get an OEM Thermostat, as well... only a few bucks and well worth it. However, if you're selling it, and you want to save around 5$.... I guess it wouldn't matter much(I'd feel better selling it with an OEM one in there, lol...Just me, maybe, lol)
Have to type something to post, outside of quotes, lol.... Best wishes on the repair!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
WAIT! Before you do anything, replace the clamp on the lower radiator hose with a screw-type clamp.

The spring clamp can lose a bit of oomph after all these years, and the connection can leak slowly.

The bad news is that you probably need to drain the radiator to do it, but that doesn't take too long, and you can pour the same coolant back in to check to see if that was the real problem.

And if that fixes it, but you didn't like what you saw in the coolant, draining the coolant a second time (to replace it) will be easy-peasy.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
WAIT! Before you do anything, replace the clamp on the lower radiator hose with a screw-type clamp.

The spring clamp can lose a bit of oomph after all these years, and the connection can leak slowly.

The bad news is that you probably need to drain the radiator to do it, but that doesn't take too long, and you can pour the same coolant back in to check to see if that was the real problem.

And if that fixes it, but you didn't like what you saw in the coolant, draining the coolant a second time (to replace it) will be easy-peasy.
GREAT point. It just looks like the fluid is leaking past the housing and out the stud holes.... seeing as they're so rusted... I guess maybe it's just been pissing out that hose long enough, it could rust out the studs, hmmm. Yes, that would be the best bet, first... but be prepared to swap out the hose, too....someone might have overtightened it, and it could be torn. Have to get in there and see, ...and if it's more like what I said it looks like... You'll be familiar with it all after tearing it down, and you'll be doing that, anyhow, to change out the thermostat, so why not, eh?