Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ShortMag's 22re Rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

hey man where the pics at?? but just so ya know i loved your black color for the valve so in doing almost the same except im painting my block red with the efi and the valve cover black
Old 02-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Sorry, checked on that harness and it had a few broken connectors.

Originally Posted by ShortMag
How much would you want for the harness? I have a flywheel, I'm just afraid it is cracked too badly to repair. I'll take it by O'reilly's tommorrow to have it looked at. I was looking on Marlin Crawler while I was snowed in this weekend and saw the 1,200lb clutch for $179 so i plan on going with that. I also looked at their flywheels but i don't know if I want to give $100 for one. I plan on ordering both a slave and master cylinder from MC along with the clutch.

I also need/want new motor mounts. The stock ones are cracked at the top and bottom so I don't want to put those in and then have to replace them when I get dual cases. Toyota wants around $130 a piece for OEM ones and I don't have 3 or 400 bucks to spend on motor mounts. I've heard the RockStomper's are pretty harsh as far as ride quality goes, but my runner won't be a DD. What do y'all think?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Riozpr
i love your build.. all these 22re builds have motivated me to do mine.. im replacing my head along with headers still dont know which ones.. any ideas.. but excelent im starting mine tomorrow

Originally Posted by Riozpr
hey man where the pics at?? but just so ya know i loved your black color for the valve so in doing almost the same except im painting my block red with the efi and the valve cover black
Thanks! You mean header . Second on the LC Engineering. I haven't used their parts before but have done a little research on them and everyone has great things to say about them. I think I'm just going to use the stock header and do 2 inch pipe to the muffler and 2 1/4 out from that. There's an earlier post on my thread that has a link to a thread that i believe Ted from engnbldr started and that's where i got the specs for the exhaust from. Sounds like a good paint combo. I've learned more from doing this build than i ever have in a class or from doing research. Read as much as you can. There are a ton of rebuild threads on this site with a ton of good info. Flyingbrass has an amazing thread, as well as iamsuperbleeder and olharleyman. I've referred to all of those numerous times. What head are you getting? Good luck with the build! That's one clean lookin' engine bay BTW.

Originally Posted by soarerjzz30
Sorry, checked on that harness and it had a few broken connectors.
Dang. I'm afraid I'm going to have trouble finding one in perfect or near perfect condition. What about that flywheel? I took mine in today to get resurfaced and they said it was past repair.

A few teasers:

Old 02-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
dang that's purdy!

the engine, not that flywheel

makes me want to rebuild another one

great job!

FYI, your oil pressure sensor's in the wrong spot you'll have one hell of a time getting the motor mount on with it right there

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 02-02-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:04 PM

Haha i was gonna put a post up asking what that was and where it went. It sat in my garage floor for weeks in a small puddle of water that drained out of it. I might invest in a new one.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 PM

I'll check the flywheel tomorrow, and I may have one more harness in a box somewhere.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:16 PM

Awesome. I just realized you live in Fayetteville.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:01 PM

Ok I do have another harness and it's in better shape, it's missing one plug though and I can probably salvage it off the other harness and part of the tps plug is broke but not bad with the metal clip it will stay in place. I also checked the flywheel and it seems to be in better shape than the one above, It would be up to the shop to determine if it's resurfaceable.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:17 PM

Good deal. How much for both?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:02 PM

message sent
Old 04-08-2011, 08:24 AM

Well guys, I'm bringing this old thread back to life. THE MOTOR IS IN!!!! That's right. After almost two years of sitting it's finally got my rebuilt 22re sitting in it. I seem to have run into a problem though... wiring. I have absolutely no clue where most of the connectors on the harness go. If anyone has some detailed pictures laying around, or you happen to know what color wires go where, please let me know.

Here's a quick phone shot of the motor in the truck. Ignore the filthy engine bay.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:30 AM

almost finished

That is a very good looking engine rebuild. I might overhaul mine soon too.
I don't have much to do now. My 88 has about the same wiring so I can run outside and find out how the wiring is supposed to work. I replaced my head gasket a couple of years ago and reconnected the wiring so that should be the same.
Are you working with the original harness or are you starting with the second hand harness?
The harness should be routed down the fender and into the front of the intake manifold beneath the throttle body and I don't see that in your picture. I doubt installing the harness is even possible until the plenum is removed from the intake runners. The bundle should emerge from the manifold area just behind the thermostat housing.
Do you have the Toyota FSM for reference? That has some very detailed information about the wiring and the connectors. Some of the connections will be obvious after the wiring is routed properly.
I can snap some pics or check on the colors of the wires if that would help.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:49 PM

She lives!!!!

Originally Posted by stock88pickup22re
That is a very good looking engine rebuild. I might overhaul mine soon too.
I don't have much to do now. My 88 has about the same wiring so I can run outside and find out how the wiring is supposed to work. I replaced my head gasket a couple of years ago and reconnected the wiring so that should be the same.
Are you working with the original harness or are you starting with the second hand harness?
The harness should be routed down the fender and into the front of the intake manifold beneath the throttle body and I don't see that in your picture. I doubt installing the harness is even possible until the plenum is removed from the intake runners. The bundle should emerge from the manifold area just behind the thermostat housing.
Do you have the Toyota FSM for reference? That has some very detailed information about the wiring and the connectors. Some of the connections will be obvious after the wiring is routed properly.
I can snap some pics or check on the colors of the wires if that would help.
Thanks 88pickup! I looked around a little bit and saw that it runs under the plenum like you said. Actually got everything wired this weekend (it all fell into place when I had it routed correctly) and FINALLY figured out all my vacuum and coolant stuff. Put a battery in and put fluids in last night and SHE RUNS!! At first it would start and then just die, but I did a little searching and found out the MAF cuts fuel if no air is sensed, and I didn't have the tube from the MAF to the throttle body. Stuck my finger in the MAF to open the little flap door and she ran like top. I let her run for thirty minutes and then called it a night. Gonna build an intake tube out of PVC tonight since mine is crap. Should have her on the road tomorrow! Big thanks to everyone who has helped out.