Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Serious steering stop rubbing/wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serious steering stop rubbing/wear

I read enough about steering stops, idler arms ball joints to sink a ship. The original problem is that when turning sharply, or while jumping a curb, the front end of the pickup makes a horrible grind/thunk sound. I've taken a few photos and believe that is it my steering stops. If someone could confirm this that would be awesome. I've attched a few rough photos but hopefully you can see the bolt gound down against the other surface. Any tricks another than slathering grease on each contact point? Not sure what the heck prompted, or why, the two contact points to started to grind against each other. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Serious steering stop rubbing/wear-img_0092.jpg   Serious steering stop rubbing/wear-img_0085.jpg   Serious steering stop rubbing/wear-img_0093.jpg  
Old 04-17-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Don't worry, it's what ifs toyota s do. It's a horrible noise, but it causes no real harm.

There was a plastic head on the adjustable stud originally that cut down the noise some, but they don't hold up for long.

Seems I saw some custom made teflon ones offered on ebay once, but they were way too expensive, considering that the noise causes no harm.

Fogetteboudit.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:24 PM

yeah, ignoring ugly sounds from the front of the truck is easier said than done. From my research, I agree that there seems that not much that can be done. However, it's hard to believe two metal contact points will inevitably rub or grind against each other, without the possibility of repair. It's so crazy, my steering stop seems to have a gouge taken outta it. Hmm... telfon you say.

Last edited by Harold Of The Rocks; 04-17-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:36 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold Of The Rocks
yeah, ignoring ugly sounds from the front of the truck is easier said than done. From my research, I agree that there seems that not much that can be done. However, it's hard to believe two metal contact points will inevitably rub or grind against each other, without the possibility of repair. It's so crazy, my steering stop seems to have a gouge taken outta it. Hmm... telfon you say.
I'm a stickler for mechanical reliability in my machines, because I don't like to walk home from remote places, so I do listen and identify any noises that I hear.

The steering stops only make their noise when going over some irregularity with the steering at full lock, and at no other time.

I anticipate this noise and accept it for the minor nusance that it is. Just letting the steering wheel come slightly off lock is enough to avoid it, and it's easier on the power steering pump as well.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by millball
I'm a stickler for mechanical reliability in my machines, because I don't like to walk home from remote places, so I do listen and identify any noises that I hear.

The steering stops only make their noise when going over some irregularity with the steering at full lock, and at no other time.

I anticipate this noise and accept it for the minor nusance that it is. Just letting the steering wheel come slightly off lock is enough to avoid it, and it's easier on the power steering pump as well.

Well said. Really well said. I suppose the next step is being able to distinguish between this minor PITA and other more significant idler arm/ball joint issue. Like your idea going easy on the power steering pump by consciously avoid steering at full lock.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:39 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
"Doc, whenever I put my arm like this, it hurts." "Well, don't put your arm like that!"

Originally Posted by millball
.... Just letting the steering wheel come slightly off lock is enough to avoid it, and it's easier on the power steering pump as well.
When the steering is at full lock, the front IFS can still flex, so it's rubbing on the steering stop. Most people call that sound a "groan." So the part provided by Toyota is called a (wait for it ...) groan stopper. http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq...066171&x=0&y=0

They're not real cheap, but they really do work a whole lot better than just grease. They will last a long time as long as you follow "Doc's" advice -- when you hear it, back off!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
"Doc, whenever I put my arm like this, it hurts." "Well, don't put your arm like that!"

When the steering is at full lock, the front IFS can still flex, so it's rubbing on the steering stop. Most people call that sound a "groan." So the part provided by Toyota is called a (wait for it ...) groan stopper. http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq...066171&x=0&y=0

They're not real cheap, but they really do work a whole lot better than just grease. They will last a long time as long as you follow "Doc's" advice -- when you hear it, back off!

Groan stopper, that's too funny, although intuitive to the problem it is solving. The bolt that has had the rubbing is somewhat ground down/angled (pics kinda show it), is it necessary to replace them in general or prior to the groan stoppers being put on?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Your pictures show your busted-ass existing groan stoppers. I wouldn't be surprised if they died for the cause and your bolts (underneath) are fine. Just pull off the old ones with a pair of pliers, clean everything up (too much grease underneath will keep the replacements from seating), and tap on the new ones.

Yeah, a dab of grease on the outside of the new groan stoppers won't hurt, but I don't think it helps much either.