86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 4runner power loss at 2k RPM, poor acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 4runner power loss at 2k RPM, poor acceleration

Hi all, I recently started having some sporadic issues with my 4runner. It's an automatic 22RE with 220k miles. At times, it loses all power while in 2nd gear. It revs fine in 1st and shifts smoothly into 2nd but then the issues begin. It feels like i'm hitting a wall. I brought it to a mechanic and he said that "the transmission is slipping" but offered no explanation as to how he came to that conclusion so I took his opinion with a grain of salt. Additionally, this issue does not happen all the time.

Based on the recommendations on this forum, I talked to Larry @ Yodaman (I'm in the bay area) who said to check a few things, one of them being the AFM. While I was at it, I took out the throttle body to clean and noticed that the TPS is sticking a little bit, however the resistances are all to spec. Nevertheless I ordered another one. The AFM however, does not seem to be fully to spec.

All the above resistances were to spec except for E2-Vs which was reading ~650 ohm. Is this enough to be considered out of spec? The diagnostic (T-E1 pin short) is throwing 2 blinks with <1 second frequency, then a ~3 second pause, then 8 blinks at <1 second frequency, then a 3-4 sec pause. I am having some difficulties reading this code, there's nothing in the manual that corresponds to it. Can someone help me decipher what these codes mean? Is it safe to assume that the AFM needs replacement; I don't want to order another one unless I have to.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:56 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Check your AFM per Roger Brown's instructions here: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AFM/index.shtml

Been a while since I've looked at his site, but I think he has a dynamic test in addition to those static tests from the FSM. That E2 to Vs reading is the position of the vane, so maybe that points to an issue, but reading it static, with the vane closed probably doesn't mean a whole lot since if the engine is running it won't be closed.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:07 AM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Sounds like you are throwing a code 2 and a code 8.
Check this reference here:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TroubleCodes/
Both of those codes deal directly with the AFM.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:03 PM

okay, thank you for that. i didn't have banana clips for my multi-meter so it would've been difficult to do a dynamic test by myself. anyways, i just got some so that i can adjust the TPS so they should come in handy with the AFM dynamic test as well. I'll report back on the resistances.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:39 PM

The E2-Vs resistance with vane open/close varied from 0.4-1.7 kohm. There was no correlation between position and resistance, as far as I could tell. Example: at 25% open, it was at around 0.9kohm, at 50% open it was 0.4kohm at full open it was around 1.2 kohm and around 75% open it was 1.7kohm. furthermore, at around 10% open it spiked to infinity, which is strange.

I'm fairly convinced the AFM is faulty. With that said, is there any way to service these? I know the manufacturer recommends replacing but I've had bad luck replacing MAFs (not that it's the same thing but close) with aftermarket. It looks like Toyota discontinued this part. Do y'all know where you can find an OEM replacement for a decent price? I searched ebay but when I asked the sellers how they tested them.... Crickets.

Last edited by ralfk807; 04-11-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:35 PM

unfortunately my problem is still not solved

i replaced all the plugs, plug boots/cables, vacuum hoses, O2 sensor, cleaned throttle body, replaced & adjusted TPS per spec, replaced AFM. AFM is a remanufactured part, TPS sensor is OEM, O2 sensor is OEM. Now it starts and idles at a much lower RPM when on drive. I bumped up the idle RPM when parked to around 800 RPM. The engine vibrates pretty bad at low RPM. I reset the ECU but when I drive, it feels as though its entering limp mode again. At around 2000 RPM 2nd gear I hit a wall and no further power. If I floor it, the RPM surges but bumps back down with no gain in acceleration. I jumpered the T-E1 pin and no codes are showing.

I also adjusted the throttle cable and shift point cables as described in the manual.

Anyone have any ides on what it could be?