Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Second Blown HG on 3VZE: Desperate

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Second Blown HG on 3VZE: Desperate

Well, after a blown head gasket last March and a full rebuild, I've blown the new head gasket in the SAME LOCATION!!

See the old thread for those who didn't follow it in the beginning: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-ghost-108156/

DAMN! It happened just like last time; after I'd towed a trailer weighing about 2800 lbs. I emailed Ted at www.engnbldr.com:

"Hello again, Ted.

Well, I got some bad news yesterday...I've blown another head gasket, on the exact same cylinder as before. Not sure why; I checked the block & head...both were straight as an arrow. Now I'm left wondering if I should fix it again or cut my losses & go with a different engine.

A penny for your thoughts on why I've blow two head gaskets on the number TWO cylinder (unusual) and now have a repeat with no overheating and it's been running great?? The only common denominator is that I towed a trailer just before both HG issues occurred (@ 2800 lbs). Nothing crazy in weight & didn't abuse the engine....

???

Gary"

and here's what he had to say:

"
Morning.
Well, that is bad news. Gaskets fail because an area gets too hot and the stress becomes too great. The cooling system can handle the heat in the system but the area gets overheated anyway. Thus no symptoms sometimes.

Towing of course adds stress.

#2 is odd, we see that but rarely, normally it's #5 or #6. Probably the engine head or block casting has a thin spot or something like that.

Long list of possibles, but whatever is the cause is still there and another gasket try will probably repeat. Sometimes it pays to cut the losses and try something else.
Ted"

Does anyone have anything else to add? I'm into this truck for almost $2000,00 and there's no way I'll get that out of it in it's current condition. I'd REALLY like to keep it, but I don't have any money to spend on it right now....

Comments/suggestions, anybody? Please don't tell me to swap in a 3.4-- like I said, I have NO money right now...

Old 08-31-2007, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

By the way, I'm in the market for a CHEAP, economical car (Honda Civic, etc. under $1500.00)

Last edited by TNRabbit; 08-31-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:02 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Comments/suggestions, anybody? Please don't tell me to swap in a 3.4-- like I said, I have NO money right now...
Gonna be hard to do ANYTHING to it with NO money.

But thanks for confirming my suspicion that putting $0.10 into the 3VZE is wasted... just swap it for a 3.4L when it goes.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of thoughts. My rod knock was on the #2 rod (you can see in my rebuild thread what shape the bearing was in).

Don't know what your full rebuild included, but is it possible that there is something partially blocking coolant flow in that area, inside the block or head?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by runethechamp
A couple of thoughts. My rod knock was on the #2 rod (you can see in my rebuild thread what shape the bearing was in).

Don't know what your full rebuild included, but is it possible that there is something partially blocking coolant flow in that area, inside the block or head?

Thanks; nope--everything was taken apart & clean thoroughly in the rebuild. I was concerned the initial HG was the result of a blockage, but I never found any....
Old 08-31-2007, 08:19 AM

tnrabbit, such bad news. your rebuilt thread was extremely useful for my rebuild, sorry to hear your truck went belly up.

maybe you can take your time and hunt for a cheap, low mileage block?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

The limiting factor is I have to get another vehicle RIGHT NOW for the commute to work (46 miles one way) because this is my ONLY vehicle.

I'm really stumped as to why it's blown another gasket. It's obvious the first blew because of the same reason the second did, I just can't figure out what that was. Both the head & block were WELL within the factory specs for warpage (barely measureable), there are no signs of hotspots or blockage in the oil or water passages, & I used Ted's headgaskets (well known for quality).

Blurr: did you get your rear main seal replaced yet?

Last edited by TNRabbit; 08-31-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

tnrabbit, sorry about your truck. as far as cars go, go with a honda civic. i have a 95 model and they are great on gas, and super easy to work on. i have rebuilt mine from top to bottom. if you do look at hondas here are few things to look for, aside from the t-belt, a-c compressor, and front end parts. the rear trailing arm bushing would be of high interest, and all three motor mounts. good luck, really sucks about your truck.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:47 AM

rabbit, i'm going to have to sit on that rear main seal leak for the foreseeable future. like you, i'm done with major car work for now.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:50 AM
MSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
who's gasket set did you use
Old 08-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MSR
who's gasket set did you use
Ted @ engnbldr
Old 08-31-2007, 09:26 AM
MSR

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Ted @ engnbldr
does ted make them in the back room or is it another companys set i.e. felpro,victor,apex,o.e. toy, extra thick, mls, copper.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

I believe they are made by ROCK. Lots folks here and on ToyotaNation.com have used them with great results.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:14 AM
MSR

i've had a rash of failures on the .030 thicker head gaskets from apex. The oe style with the shim facing head have worked great with new bolts. How much material did you take off the deck and head? I've seen techs bottom out head bolts without knowing.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
wow! you where the last person I would expect to pop another headgasket!
You have done one of the most involved total engine rebuilds on here.

In anycase, did you check your intire cooling system when you rebuilt the engine?

If you decide to rebuild this engine I would recomend you try johnnys cams, my engine ran smoother then ever after I had them done.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Holy shiznit! Sorry to hear the news, TN. Seriously.

You have a very good idea, though. Get an inexpensive, gas-friendly commuter for the time being. You can save a lot of money and solve your Yota dilemma down the road. You'll look like a geek until then, but personally I'd still welcome you around the forum no matter.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:39 PM

One thought! Nissan! On second thought, maybe, NISSAN!
okay, I'm just razzin you guys, and I am sorry as well to hear that. rom what I have read, you have put a lot of work into that one. Maybe a small block chevy? I know they are very popular with the FJ owners. Why is that? Then again after all I have learned in only the last month, that 3.0 was like the worst engine Toyota came up with. I hear the newer 22Rs are just as powerful and more reliable.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:53 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grass Valley Gal
Then again after all I have learned in only the last month, that 3.0 was like the worst engine Toyota came up with. I hear the newer 22Rs are just as powerful and more reliable.
The 22RE and 3VZE stopped production at the same time. The newer 4 cylinder you are referring to is the 2.7L 3RZFE
Old 08-31-2007, 02:10 PM

Thanks,
I appreciate that. I couldn't remember what engine it was. My roomate has that 2.7 in her 97 Tacoma. Can that engine be installed in a 1989 Toyota 4X4? Without a ton of mods? What am i saying? I must be strong! I cannot let Toyota hook me! I must stay strong. I'll be back!
Thanks TC

Good Luck TNRABBIT
Old 08-31-2007, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Grass Valley Gal
Thanks,
I appreciate that. I couldn't remember what engine it was. My roomate has that 2.7 in her 97 Tacoma. Can that engine be installed in a 1989 Toyota 4X4? Without a ton of mods? What am i saying? I must be strong! I cannot let Toyota hook me! I must stay strong. I'll be back!
Thanks TC

Good Luck TNRABBIT
If you are going through the trouble of swapping engines then its a no brainer to go with the 3.4L v6, great mileage and over 180hp if im not mistaken.

Quick Reply: Second Blown HG on 3VZE: Desperate