86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SAS Problem/Question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS Problem/Question!!!

my 4runner had the ADD hub setup before the solid axle swap, now that i have selectable hubs, what do i have to do to get the trucks 4x4 to work properly. if the truck is running and i shift to 4H it will go into 4H, but if i go to 4L it wont engage. i have to competely shut the truck down, shift into 4L and then turn the truck back on. then it works. what the @#$% is going on with my truck. also if thier is anyone else who did a SAS on an ADD truck please let me know what to do with the ADD vacuum lines and whatever else needs to be done. please help! thanks.

Last edited by geTBeNt2NIghT; 07-29-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

If it turns out to be your T-Case I have one out of a 1990 Mini Pickup with the 3.0 that came from the factory with manual hubs.

So this would be a fully manual 3.0 case from a pickup with factory manual hubs. No luxury ADD.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:11 PM

sounds like a t case problem cause i put manual hubs on my add system. still have ifs and i took out the solenoids and vacume lines. i have no problem with my t case shifting into 4h or 4lo. do you have different gears from front to rear and do you stop complealty and put it in neutral hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by killa b
sounds like a t case problem cause i put manual hubs on my add system. still have ifs and i took out the solenoids and vaccume lines. i have no problem with my t case shifting into 4h or 4lo.
i second sounds like a t case prob, the new axle or hubs should not have any effect on the 4 wheel drive operation. good luck
Old 07-29-2007, 03:13 PM

My truck had ADD with the auto tranny. When I did the SAS I shorted out the ADD indicator switch. The connector for this is by the oil filter. I put a jumper in and taped it up good. This way the ECU thinks the ADD is on. Should be 2 wires you are jumping out, green with yellow stripe and pink with green stripe if it is the same as the '91's.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:21 PM

I also unplugged the electrical connections to the two VSV's and removed the vacuum hoses on the discharge side of these. There may be more but this is all I remember for now...
Old 07-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Which tranny?

Which T-Case?

I'd have thought your T-case would be either direct gear drive (4CYL) or chain drive (V6). Either way, nothing requires electrical connections or power to go into 4WD low.

I removed my ADD when I did my SAS. I connected the wires together at the old ADD plug on the IFS diff... but that was just so the 4WD light would go on. I just installed a dual crawler setup, and have nothing plugged in. So, no 4WD indicator, but zero issue getting into low.

This is a dumb question, but how do you know it's not working? The truck doesn't go into low, or you believe the front axle isn't engaged?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:31 AM

ok fellas read my post carefully, it is something electrical, if i turn the truck off and put it in 4l it WORKS! if the truck is running and i go from 2h to 4l and only goes into 4h. yes the front axle engages, i didnt do the sas, bought the truck already done. so im having to go back and fix a ton of bs. i do think that it has something to do with the green and yellow wires but im not what to do with them. btw, its the chain drive tranny and case...v6
Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member

I am curious, very curious now.

I have re-read your posts, and you feel the engagement is an electrical problem, not mechanical. I would like to better understand what the problem is you are experiencing. I just don't see how it could be a wiring or electrical issue, and if it is I'd like to figure it out as I am sure you do.

I am sure you know this, but the V6 transfer case is all mechanical, no electrical involved. Sure, indicator lights... but mechanical as far as changing gears. One could remove the transfer case completely, set it on a workbench, and still be able to engage 2H, 4H and 4L.

What exactley can't you do?

Will the stick not physically move from 4H to 4L until you turn the truck off? In other words, can you move from 4H to 4L all day long if the engine isn't running?

Most transfer cases won't really let you go from 4H to 4L unless you are basically stopped, or going really slow. Is your speed to high perhaps when you try to go from 4H to 4L?

Once the stick is in 4L, you feel the low gearing engaged... correct?

Your 4L works, you just are having trouble getting in and out... is that right?

And "chain drive tranny and case... V6" ... is that a 5SPD or Auto?

If auto, perhaps there is a safety of sorts that could be electrical and won't let the T-Case go from 4H to 4L unless certain situations are met. Low speed for example.

Just throwing out some ideas and questions that might make the problem easier to solve.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:39 PM

sas

i just did an sas a few weeks ago, all i did is chopped the wires and vacume hoses off and it works fine, could be something internal?
Old 08-04-2007, 05:13 AM

I am pretty sure getbent2night is running an A340H auto tranny. The tcase for this is electrically controlled. The ECU operates the No. 4 solenoid which carries out the high-low transfer case shift according to the FSM. The FSM also states that the high-low shift will not take place unless the vehicle speed and throttle opening angle come within the appropriate range. But it for sure should shift if you are stopped and the throttle valve is closed. Maybe you should check these signals...

This weekend sometime I will pull the jumper between the wires I mentioned above and see if I can simulate your problem. Hopefully it is something that easy.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:06 AM

This are the wires I jumpered together. Not sure if it is the problem but would only take you 10 minutes to try. Mine has been like this since 2001...
Old 08-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by coldwiz
I am pretty sure getbent2night is running an A340H auto tranny. The tcase for this is electrically controlled.
If that's the case, this problem would start to make more sense for sure.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:35 AM

ok elvota, yes the stick will move from 2h to 4h to 4l with no problems and the truck running. i never shift the transfer case if the truck is rolling. im always stopped. yes once i turn the truck off put it in 4l then turn it on it engages and works fine. getting back into 4h or 2h is no problem either. its just getting into 4l without having to turn the truck off is what im trying to acomplish. its the auto tranny also...a340h.

coldwiz, you seem to be on the right path. someone else was saying something like that but gave up.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:31 AM

Its a wire that needs to be grounded. I used to have it grounded to a bumper bolt on the front passenger side, give it a look and make sure its still grounded. This used to be my truck and i had the same problem. It was fixed before I sold it to the guy you bought it from.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elvota
<SNIP>

I'd have thought your T-case would be either direct gear drive (4CYL) or chain drive (V6). Either way, nothing requires electrical connections or power to go into 4WD low.

<SNIP>
If he has an auto tranny (v6) then the xfer case is not direct gear drive nor is it chain driven.
It's basically an "auto" xfre case

Fred