86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sabotage? I think so!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sabotage? I think so!

When I bought my 90' 4Runner w/3.0 the CEL never worked (didn't know how they worked then), and my Oil PSI gauge didn't work either. Well I when I test drove it, I gave the damn thing HELL!!!!!! I even got permission to take it out of town and on that trip I was pushing the shiz out of it, performed great, mileage was good so I bought it.

After I bought it, I decided time to change the oil, when I took the filter I noticed a wire hanging, well it was the wire for the oil psi gauge, hooked up, according to Toyota's trusty gauge I have low oil pressure, during cold winter warm ups it barely goes past the 1st 1/4 mark, during normal driving it comes in just a shade under the 1st mark, and idling it goes up just slightly past the Low mark. Toyota tech buddy of mine said don't worry about it he's seen it before, as long as it runs good, and the gauge moves when the RPM's go up, that it should be alright and last alittle while longer.

When doing my HG replacement recently I wanted to check and make sure my CEL was working incase I was throwing any codes after the fact, never did. Today I took my cluster out (surprisingly easy BTW), and lo and behold there is no bulb for the CEL *wink wink* snipped oil PSI wire, removed CEL bulb? Wonder what the hell was done to this engine me thinks? When I tore it apart it didn't look to bad, I've got 170k miles on it, and it could have been better but it wasn't all that bad. When I bought it I did carfax report that checked out fine, has never been reported in an accident, has gone through an auction house though.

Now that I recall too, I tested another 4Runner at the same dealer, CEL never came on when I started the rig either. I remeber trying to figure out how to start the damn thing it wouldn't start, well it was an auto and I had it in drive, thats why. but the CEL never came on. I've made up my mind before this to never buy anything from that place again, this just confirms it, and I'll tell anyone and everyone to not go there...

So for you NW'ers, don't buy anything from BJ's used auto sells in Milton-Freewater Oregon, just a few miles south of Walla Walla Washington!
Old 06-23-2006, 11:28 AM

Found the extra bulb and socket! I was getting ready to head down to the local dealership when I started checking all the bulbs so I can replace any bads and what not. I had a bulb and socket sitting in for Rear Anti-Lock which I don't have... Moved it over to CEL and I got my CEL light, and of course its on when I'm driving.

Time to sink more money in my Runner!
Old 06-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

don't know about your state but that is very illegal here in Texas. In fact the phrase "get a rope" comes to mind
Old 06-23-2006, 01:28 PM

I'm sure it's illegal here too, but its been way to long since I've bought for me to do anything. And the hard part would be proving it was the dealership and maybe not someone else down the line...

Case in point, I'm glad I was stuck on getting another Yota, otherwise any other make of vehicle it would have been a true POS. Since its Yota it's still going strong
Old 06-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuki
Since its Yota it's still going strong
Tell me about it...
I have zero compression in cylinder #3 due to burnt/collapsed valves, and it still gets me to work every day and the grocery strore on the weekends.

It sounds and stinks like crap, but it still putts along.
Hopefully long enough until my FJ Cruiser swims over here.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Corey - the lights on your FJ are blinking - time to change the headlight fluid
Old 06-23-2006, 01:58 PM

Geez I just checked my codes and MAN what a list!!!!

Codes

I wonder what they were trying to cover!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a lot of codes, try restting the ECU, then drive the truck & see what codes come back up - some of those codes could be old or from when work was being done & therefore not real problems.

What are those codes for - I don't have my book infront of me.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chuki
Geez I just checked my codes and MAN what a list!!!!

Codes

I wonder what they were trying to cover!
Here is the Manual Page that has the code definitions.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...26diagnosi.pdf

Looks like you've got a bunch of either disconnected sensors, or bad sensors...
Old 06-23-2006, 02:35 PM

you guys are good LOL

Those are from when I had everything disconnected, I left my battery connected so I could listen to the stereo while I replaced the headgaskets, I was freaking out at 1st until I started reading the codes, then I reset the ECU, and I have no codes! Was kind of freaking out thinking I would 100% most positively have a code 52 my knock sensor wire was pretty brittle and the parts guy I go to at our local dealer was out of town, and the newb there couldn't find the wire, so I just repaired my wire.

Thats a code for basically anything that can be connected and read by the ECU was throwing a code, since it wasn't plugged in, and the ECU was just retaining all them codes.

I especially thought code 52 since my 4Runner pings, right now I have my timing at 10* and I have 87 octane fuel in it and it pings when I steadily go up a hill, not a large hill just hill that would require just a teeny bit more throttle, if I give it a little more go juice it stops, same if I let off the pedal.

Last edited by Chuki; 06-23-2006 at 02:38 PM.