Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fuel Pump Sabotage???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump Sabotage??? PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and last night I was looking at a 1998 Tacoma Xtracab 2.7 4x4 that is for sale. When I got there the truck wouldn't start. It wants to start and it turns over and it will even shake and shimmy for about a second like it's about to start.

The seller said she had just driven it that morning and there was another guy there looking at it already when I got there. The seller said the other guy had just started it not too long ago and the guy confirmed that he did...he didn't speak english too well but I could gather from his spanglish that he did start it plus the radiator and engine was warm.

The guy was just hovering around and kept telling the seller to let him know what ever I offer and he would counter offer. When I tried to start it it would do as I mentioned above, but the mexican guy came over and acted overly dramatic and was like "Oh, that no good fuel pump" and said he couldn't hear the pump as I was trying to turn it over. It all seemed just a little too suspect to me that it started for this guy that wants to buy it and then after him it wouldn't start. He was there in a Toyota truck so he is obviously familiar with the vehicles, I am not.

My question is if he sabotaged it in some manner how would he have done it? It was already getting dark when I was there and I didn't have a flashlight so I really didn't look it over too much more. The owner was there the whole time but she was keeping her kids from coming outside and generally distracted but she was present. If you were gonna sabotage a vehicle so nobody else would be interested or so you could make a lowball offer how would you do it? Could it just be a fuse? Could a relay be unplugged or something?

Of course it's completely possible it's something legitimate but it's my experience that a fuel pump is typically a gradual thing that goes out. Is there something else it could be that was disconnected? Like I said the owner was out there but pre-occupied so it would have to be something simple/subtle that the guy did. I will probably buy it as is, if it is a fuel pump I will replace it and go from there. I have the ability to do any repairs just not the familiarity with Toyota.

Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by Uisge Beathe; 06-01-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:30 AM

He could have simply unplugged anything under the hoodor pulled the EFI fuse. Could be any number of things. It's pretty low down that someone would do that sort of thing, but those types are out there. I would look at worst case to fix and figure it with what the truck is worth and what they are asking for it. If it still looks like a deal, buy it.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:42 AM

Thanks for the prompt response...that's whats frustrating it could be any number of things. But keeping within the parameters that the truck had just started and now will only turn over and try to start as if it's burning whatever fuel or vapor is in it but doesn't SEEM to be getting fuel...where would you look? I didn't even look at the truck enough to know where the fuse block for the fuel pump is...any help on where the fuse is? If it's a relay or something where do I look for that? Admittedly I'm ignorant when it comes to Toyota...is there a distributor or coil packs? Where are some of the obvious key points to check?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2009, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by rbh261
He could have simply unplugged anything under the hoodor pulled the EFI fuse.
Where is the EFI fuse located? Is fuse block under the hood or behind a kick panel in the cab? Is there a fuel pump fuse or anything else that could put it in a disabled condition to where it will crank over but not start????
Old 05-30-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EFI in the block under the hood
Old 05-30-2009, 01:59 PM

The EFI fuse in my 97 4runner is not so easy to just pull out. The whole fuse block must be unscrewed and removed and then the EFI fuse is unscrewed from underneath the fuse block. Not sure if the 2.7 Taco is the same way, but if it is, I would guess (if he did in fact sabotage it) he probably unplugged a wiring harness somewhere near the top of the engine/injectors. Pulling off a vacuum line or something could make it do that too.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:16 PM

UPDATE: So...I bought the truck anyway. Talked them down and bought the Taco for $3,500, and I will just have AAA tow it to my house. I sprayed the air filter element with starter fluid and it would start up until the fluid burned off...so sounds like it's not getting fuel. I rebuilt a Ford FE 390 block about a month ago so, although I'm a novice, I am capable of turning a wrench...it's just that everything is in an unfamiliar place when I look at the Taco. Can anyone point me to a troubleshooting write up or give me some info on where to start or look. It would sure be appreciated...Thank you.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:16 PM

fuel filter, fuel pump??

Last edited by SnowRunner98; 05-30-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:46 PM

A fuel pressure test would be the 1st thing I'd do.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
This might help..
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/index.html

good luck..

Old 05-31-2009, 06:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good luck with that, that must have been a huge relief to the seller.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:28 AM

Huge relief to the seller because they unloaded their non running truck on to me????

Thanks everyone for your responses, I have been reading up as much as I can on how to do the jumper test with a paperclip in the diag port and any other tips/tricks.

Is the COR the fuel pump relay or is there a different dedicated fuel pump relay?

If it is COR is that OEM part only or any auto parts store?

Are there other relays that are interchangeable and I could just swap it out to test as a process of elimination?

If I have the ignition on and getting a reading with my voltage tester at the pump does that rule out the relay and point to the pump?

Is there a Toyota factory specific service manual or just Haynes/Chilton?
Old 05-31-2009, 07:40 AM

A fuel pressure test would be the 1st thing I'd do.

I will do that as soon as i get it towed to my house...thanks.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by scuba
This might help..
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/index.html

good luck..

Brilliant....Thank You
Old 05-31-2009, 04:55 PM

I Can't Stand It, I Know You Planned It
Ima Set It Straight, This Watergate
Oh My God, It's A Mirage
I'm Tellin' Y'all It's Sabotage

Thanks to everyone that responded and helped out. I finally got the truck towed to my house and had time to give everything a once over. My problem was that I was pushing on all the connections to make sure they were plugged in, when what I needed to be doing was unplug them completely and then plug them back in.

I unplugged one of the coil packs and a small white orbitz chewing gum wrapper fell from the plug...I plugged it back in and sure enough it started right up. Man...I can't believe that guy pulled this crap. Oh well, jokes on him because the sellers came down in price and sold it to me.

Thanks again for helping out a Newb !!!

Last edited by Uisge Beathe; 06-01-2009 at 03:12 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:19 AM

now your going to have to post pics of your new truck!

Last edited by SnowRunner98; 06-01-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:42 AM

That's frustrating, but it just goes to show you how low some people will stoop! I am glad to hear that things have worked out for you too.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow, Thats kinda crazy...

Nice detective work though..

Old 06-04-2009, 03:34 PM

Thanks again for everyones help, here is the beast in question.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

A great buy for $3,500. Man I can't belive that spanglish guy sabatoged the truck. But your gain I spose!

Welcome to the Toyota Community. You'll find lots of help here. And as I saw - someone already posted a link to all the FSM's, which of course is invaluable!

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Sabotage???