Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

and the rust begins...how do i stop it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and the rust begins...how do i stop it?

after givin me runner a nice bath today ive noticed some rust that slipt my eye before. i have a nice line of rust underneath both of my passenger doors, a coupe holes of rust on my tailgate right under the window, and some lil spots here and there. any of yall know how to fix these before it gets worse. i plan on keepin this beast a long time and dont want a bunch of rust keepin her lookin bad. is it as easy as just sandin down the spot, primer, and some white spray paint or is it much more involved then that? is it possible to fix myself or should i just take it to a body shop guy.
-Kyle
Old 04-30-2006, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im thinking I saw some stuff at advance that Bondo makes just for spot rust like your saying. On the back they tell you exactly how to go about it. Im about to try it myself so if I get to it before you i'll let you know how it goes, if not let me know how you did it.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:25 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It depends on how far it's gone. If it's just making the paint bubble, you can probably get away with hitting it with a wire brush to clean metal and priming and painting it well. You should keep an eye on it though - rust is a sneaky bastage.

If it has easten through the steel significantly, obviously you've got a lot more work ahead of you. For less visible areas, you might be able to fiberglass over the hole, otherwise you're looking at cutting it out and welding new in.

That bottom of the door area is especially tricky.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

how would i go about painting it. im assumin over the 11 years of my runners life that the paint has fadded some, so normal white spray paint would look weird. on the advance website, they have a self adhesive patch and hole filler. both made by bondo. could any yall guide me throught doin it. i dont have the slightest clue wut im doin here, but i am deffinetly up for tryin it mysel
-Kyle
Old 04-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

how would i go about painting it. im assumin over the 11 years of my runners life that the paint has fadded some, so normal white spray paint would look weird. on the advance website, they have a self adhesive patch and hole filler. both made by bondo. could any yall guide me throught doin it. i dont have the slightest clue wut im doin here, but i am deffinetly up for tryin it myself. ooo and body shop guy wanted 800 somethin to fix my rust. my brother got his old 89 4runner painted and all his MASSIVE rust fixed for that price.
-Kyle
Old 04-30-2006, 06:11 PM
tc
Contributing Member

One option is to mask it off and paint it a totally different color - say black - so it looks intentional (that's what I did with the bottom of the 'gate on my '93 4Runner). Otherwise, you have to get a bit "creative" with the painting and buffing so it's like a fade.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:16 PM

Try some of that POR (paint over rust) stuff. your supposed to be able to just paint it on the rust and it will stop it dead. I dont think it comes in white but you could paint over the coating. just another idea to ponder
Old 04-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

i have one more local body shop guy to try, kinda an older guy in his own garage but ill see how that goes. if not ill be fixin it myself. on the bottom of the doors the rust has not made an holes or anything, its just rust colored and a lil rough. my ideas for down there are to sand all the rust down to bare metal, paint it with a rust inhibitor or some heavy duty primer stuff, and try and find some kinda paint that matches up somewhat. i know there are those little bottles of touch up paint, i could prolly find a offwhite one of them.

for the tailgate, no offense man, but im not up for paintin just a random color on it. the rust has made a hole in it so im not sure wut i can do at all. i would prolly see the price of just fixing that part. if worst comes to worst then ill be takin it to my friend that has a welder and see if a thin piece of sheet metal can be welder over the hole. anything would look better then rust.

with wutever route i go i will take pictures and let yall know wut i did, just dont expect anything to much. i am only 16 but im tryin to learn all this stuff myself.
-Kyle
Old 04-30-2006, 06:32 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RednekYank
for the tailgate, no offense man, but im not up for paintin just a random color on it. the rust has made a hole in it so im not sure wut i can do at all. i would prolly see the price of just fixing that part. if worst comes to worst then ill be takin it to my friend that has a welder and see if a thin piece of sheet metal can be welder over the hole. anything would look better then rust.
I hear what you're saying, but it actually looks really good - it gives an optical illusion of insane departure angle when the bumper is off

It's kinda hard to describe. I'll get some pix up tomorrow (I can't believe I don't have any of the back of the truck since I did it!)
Old 04-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

ight man, ill let ya know wut i think when i see it. anyone else repaired any rust and could give some help other then just the usual CUT IF OFFFFF!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 08:24 PM

Okay so I'm not sure what it's called, but one time on Trucks (on SPIKE TV) I saw this thing that they mounted on a truck that creates a negative charge and stops rust and prevents future rust. You have 2 connections 1 up front and 1 in the rear and it prevents rust. I found this link

http://www.paintprotection.com.au/ru...protection.php

If this works everone should get onboard with something like this.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:16 PM

Hmm I'll have to grab something like that for my 82' Pickup. And my 4Runner, I watched a documentary once about the USS Arizona sunk in pearl harbor, and they have it hooked up to some machine that stops its from rusting under the ocean. Must be something similar.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is also a product called Rust Bullet, that is similar to POR. I've used it on a couple of tiny (quarter size) spots that bubbled. So far it is working. I'm not going to say it is equal to POR, however there are less steps involved.

I know a place locally that does big $$$ complete restorations of IH Scouts, and they swear by POR.

Also you can get Duplicolor at Autozone in your OE color for your Toyota if you can get the paint code. Sometimes it is hit and miss on which autozone you go to. I've found the paint for my 1988 4runner though.

That being said I wouldn't expect a show car quality job from a rattle can, but if you prep well and take your time you may be surprised if you're not talking about a huge conspicous area to paint.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:55 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Here's what I was talking about. Behind the bumper, I masked off the rusty area, then cleaned up the rust and repainted it black so it all goes together. From a distance, the black areas seem to disappear...