Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Runs The SAME With TPS Unplugged

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runs The SAME With TPS Unplugged

95 3.0

Having sporadic idle - 900 1 minute & 1100 the next - with NO power off the line until 15 MPH, I've cleaned injectors, found no vacuum leaks & installed new plugs.

Still runs the same, so my next thought is the Throttle Position Sensor. SOooooo, I unplugged the TPS and engine runs the exact same. More ideas anyone ???

Thanks for your time & Feedback.

Michael
Old 04-21-2013, 04:03 PM

sounds to me like you have found the issue, I beleive that a bad TPS will give you those symptoms, a service manual will tell you how to test it or it could just need adjusting which the manual will tell you how to do too
Old 04-21-2013, 05:41 PM

if you have issues you stated and unplug the tps and no change in how it runs then that is what failed. thats the best way to tell if it's bad or not. sometimes it can be bad but not bad enough to throw a code too. when you put the new tps in be careful not to drop it or smack it at all. those things are very temperamental and the slightest bump can turn it into a paper weight. i've gotten a tps from the parts store before it had no bubble wrap or anything to protect it. plugged it in and it was as busted as the one i was replacing.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by thekeith86
if you have issues you stated and unplug the tps and no change in how it runs then that is what failed. thats the best way to tell if it's bad or not. sometimes it can be bad but not bad enough to throw a code too. when you put the new tps in be careful not to drop it or smack it at all. those things are very temperamental and the slightest bump can turn it into a paper weight.

Not hardly. They're pretty much fool-proof(very simple to diagnose/troubleshoot/adjust) and virtually last forever(almost never wear out, need cleaned, or even need re-adjusted in the life of the vehicle). But, just for argument's sake, let's say only 9 out of 10 of them last forever. And that of the 1 out of 10 that don't, >50% really just need refurbished(taken apart and cleaned basically). You've just had bad luck with yours. And/or, that, possibly complicated by your slight mechanical ineptitude.

To the OP...check for codes...then inspect/check and/or re-adjust the TPS...then inspect/check the electrical specs(if necessary, which it almost never is...though people do it all the time, thinking they need to, or rather thinking that they're going about trying to adjust it properly...when they actually aren't).

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-21-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy

Not hardly. They're pretty much fool-proof(very simple to diagnose/troubleshoot/adjust) and virtually last forever(almost never wear out, need cleaned, or even need re-adjusted in the life of the vehicle). But, just for argument's sake, let's say only 9 out of 10 of them last forever. And that of the 1 out of 10 that don't, >50% really just need refurbished(taken apart and cleaned basically). You've just had bad luck with yours. And/or, that, possibly complicated by your slight mechanical ineptitude.

To the OP...check for codes...then inspect/check and/or re-adjust the TPS...then inspect/check the electrical specs(if necessary, which it almost never is...though people do it all the time, thinking they need to, or rather thinking that they're going about trying to adjust it properly...when they actually aren't).
not hardly what??? lol but yes they don't normally go out. and maybe for yours you can re adjust them and all the other crap you said you can do to it but my friend not all are the same. 5vz fe tps sensors are non adjustable and there is nothing to undo to take apart and clean. all you can do with mine is screw it in with two screws and plug it in. not sure what junker you own but maybe for yours you can do what you say you can do with. but i don't even know what you were arguing about because you didn't even address anything i really said.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:47 PM

TPS.
I had a bad TPS and it never through a code, In a 5spd its hardly noticeable until I was going up the grapevine along with the thin air (Also ran Miller Jeep trail having to really throttle up the 5spd)
It only sensed the Idle and No accelleration running off the AFM only.

You can pull the Throttlebody and Ohm out the switch and if bad then replace and adust by the book before intalling the throttle body.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Punchy
TPS.
I had a bad TPS and it never through a code, In a 5spd its hardly noticeable until I was going up the grapevine along with the thin air (Also ran Miller Jeep trail having to really throttle up the 5spd)
It only sensed the Idle and No accelleration running off the AFM only.

You can pull the Throttlebody and Ohm out the switch and if bad then replace and adust by the book before intalling the throttle body.
yup i got a 5 speed manual trans. i hardly noticed when mine went without a code. i just new somethin wasn't right and started lookin into stuff. back probed the tps and it wasn't in spec but not bad enough to throw a code. and in all honesty i usually can tell if the check engine light is gonna pop on before it actually does. had my truck 8 years. i know what it's supposed to drive like and when somethin just doesn't seem right even the slightest bit.