Roughly 75% power loss and metallic slapping noise - YotaTech Forums



86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roughly 75% power loss and metallic slapping noise

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #1  
irv
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 199
Roughly 75% power loss and metallic slapping noise

I have an 86 pickup with a 22r. I rebuilt the motor 17,500 miles ago and it's been running perfectly until a sudden failure today. Without any warning signs at all it suddenly lost about 75% of it's power and the motor started making a very noticeable metallic slapping noise that went along with the engine RPMs. I of course pulled over and had the truck towed. Any thoughts on what this possibly could be? One possible guess that I had was that maybe the timing chain tensioner somehow failed and the timing chain slacked off and skipped a tooth. Perhaps? That may be the best scenario. Or perhaps a piston rod broke? This seems less likely but I'm not sure what else would make the slapping noise I was hearing. These things just seem so unlikely because it's such a fresh rebuild... But perhaps I didn't tighten something properly... Or a random premature failure has simply taken place... The oil level was perfectly full and the engine temperature never went outside the normal range. Will have to tear into it when I get a chance.
irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:32 PM   #2  
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
wyoming9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I live in New Tripoli Pa out in the woods
Posts: 12,885
Red face

Easy to pull the valve cover and look down at the timing chain
wyoming9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #3  
irv
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 199
So here's what I found after popping off the valve cover. Broken valve spring. The slapping I heard was clearly the rocker arm slapping loosely back and forth. Perhaps also the valve hitting the piston head? What are the chances that the valve collided with the top of the piston? These were all brand new valve springs from engnbldr 17,500 miles ago. What may have caused a valve spring to break like this? The truck was running beautifully until out of nowhere this happened. Well... I'm off to drain the oil and see if it has a story to tell...



irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #4  
irv
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 199
Just drained the oil. It looks great. No metal bits or silver metal particles whatsoever. Just a nice medium brown color.
irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #5  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern AZ
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
What are the chances that the valve collided with the top of the piston? These were all brand new valve springs from engnbldr 17,500 miles ago. What may have caused a valve spring to break like this? The truck was running beautifully until out of nowhere this happened. Well... I'm off to drain the oil and see if it has a story to tell...
Us guessing won't really accomplish much. But, is the valve stuck or will it move up/down?
Simplest thing would be to pull the spark plug and look in there with a scope. However, to thoroughly inspect and repair you'll have to pull the head off.
Also, thoroughly look at the spring and rocker etc to see if there are any pieces missing. You know where they will go.That may tell you they why.
A very close up of both ends of the spring break would be interesting to see.
L5wolvesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #6  
irv
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf View Post
Us guessing won't really accomplish much. But, is the valve stuck or will it move up/down?
Simplest thing would be to pull the spark plug and look in there with a scope. However, to thoroughly inspect and repair you'll have to pull the head off.
Also, thoroughly look at the spring and rocker etc to see if there are any pieces missing. You know where they will go.That may tell you they why.
A very close up of both ends of the spring break would be interesting to see.
Well I don't know a ton about this kind of stuff. I do the work myself but I'm always learning as I go. I didn't know if perhaps someone would inform me that it's not possible for a valve to hit a piston head on a 22r. That would be good news but I'm not holding my breath. The oil is nice and clean which is a good sign that a hole wasn't punched through the piston. But, however, I can't pull up on the valve stem very far at all which seems to me as a sign it may be bent.
irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #7  
irv
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 199
One big thing I'm wondering is whether this new valve spring was faulty and just broke out of nowhere for no apparent reason or if the broken valve spring is a consequence of some other primary factor... Even though they are all brand new, I'm now suspect of all these valve springs.
irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #8  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern AZ
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Well I don't know a ton about this kind of stuff. I do the work myself but I'm always learning as I go. I didn't know if perhaps someone would inform me that it's not possible for a valve to hit a piston head on a 22r. That would be good news but I'm not holding my breath. The oil is nice and clean which is a good sign that a hole wasn't punched through the piston. But, however, I can't pull up on the valve stem very far at all which seems to me as a sign it may be bent.
It is possible for a valve to hit a piston head on a 22r - like if the timing chain slips/breaks. Can you see into the cover to see if anything is wrong?
Yeah the valve sounds like it's bent - can you turn it at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
One big thing I'm wondering is whether this new valve spring was faulty and just broke out of nowhere for no apparent reason or if the broken valve spring is a consequence of some other primary factor... Even though they are all brand new, I'm now suspect of all these valve springs.
Check the timing chain - if that slipped the valve could just have been the victim of that.
A very close up pic of the broken spring ends would be interesting.
L5wolvesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #9  
irv
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 199
The spark plug had a bad story to share with me.

irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #10  
irv
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf View Post
It is possible for a valve to hit a piston head on a 22r - like if the timing chain slips/breaks. Can you see into the cover to see if anything is wrong?
Yeah the valve sounds like it's bent - can you turn it at all?



Check the timing chain - if that slipped the valve could just have been the victim of that.
A very close up pic of the broken spring ends would be interesting.
The timing chain looks ok from what I can see. Tensioner seems good and everything seems tight and in place like it should be. I am however not able to turn the motor over by hand at the moment. Not sure why. Here is a pic of the broken valve spring. That one break is the only damage to the spring. Just a single break right in the middle.

irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #11  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern AZ
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
The spark plug had a bad story to share with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
The timing chain looks ok from what I can see. Tensioner seems good and everything seems tight and in place like it should be. I am however not able to turn the motor over by hand at the moment. Not sure why. Here is a pic of the broken valve spring. That one break is the only damage to the spring. Just a single break right in the middle.
When I saw the spark plug I had a thought that the piston came up to do that. Saying not able to turn the motor over by hand follows that pattern. The noise you heard may have been a rod loosening. Is dropping the pan easy on your truck?
L5wolvesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #12  
irv
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 199
I am able to turn it over by hand, my mistake.

However I have removed the head. The entire engine is toast. The valve was snapped off and jammed into the piston which is beat to death. The block is cracked. The head is marred up beyond salvaging.

This is pretty unbelievable. This was a brand new rebuild with less than 20k miles on it. It had brand new piston heads, rings, valves, valve springs, water pump, oil pump, timing chain, bearings, etc etc etc. Every single part was brand new. It had been running absolutely beautifully. I have no idea how this happened. All I can gather is that that one valve spring inexplicable broke in half and dropped the valve down onto the piston head and all hell broke loose. I'll share pictures tomorrow when I've got some daylight.

Last edited by irv; 07-11-2018 at 12:16 AM.
irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #13  
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
wyoming9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I live in New Tripoli Pa out in the woods
Posts: 12,885
Red face

I would guess just pure bad luck about like what I have.

A flaw in the steel the valve spring was made from just got to the point it failed .

Looking forward to the rest of the pictures

Was this block bored ??
wyoming9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:47 PM   #14  
irv
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming9 View Post
I would guess just pure bad luck about like what I have.

A flaw in the steel the valve spring was made from just got to the point it failed .

Looking forward to the rest of the pictures

Was this block bored ??
Yeah what a bummer, huh? Maybe it's time for a 2.7 or a 3.4 swap... Nope the block wasn't bored over. Just honed the walls for the rebuild and used brand new stock sized pistons. Yeah I'll def share some pics.
irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #15  
irv
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 199



irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #16  
irv
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 199

irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #17  
irv
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 199
Pictures of the carnage above. Interestingly a little piece broke off the front of the engine block - right where that small additional bolt connects to the block from the head.
irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #18  
irv
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 199
From looking things over further it's clear that broken bits of the intake valve and piston head from #2 cylinder were kicked back up into the intake manifold and were then distributed into the other cylinders.
irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #19  
Registered User
 
Melrose 4r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Melrose MA. Right near Boston.
Posts: 545
How long did you run it like that?
Melrose 4r is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
89 v6 no power and idled roughly Yota 4ever 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 6 12-17-2013 07:53 PM
3VZ - interesting read against other v6 engines roughly same era live4soccer7 84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 10 09-12-2012 07:35 AM
Slapping/Clanking Justinvd 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 3 11-13-2007 07:10 PM
Sounds like a belt slapping? mudtoy 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 1 04-06-2007 07:19 PM
86 4 Runner, slapping sound under hood? mudtoy 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 0 04-06-2007 06:24 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:25 AM.


2017 InternetBrands, Inc.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: