Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rough Riding 4X4 Yota Pickup........HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough Riding 4X4 Yota Pickup........HELP!!!

First of all my truck is an '87 4X4 X-tra cab with 208,xxx miles on it. I have searched on here and not finding what I am looking for. I know I have the famous rear end sag going on but dont want to have to replace the leaf springs with new right now. My truck bouces you all over the place especially when you hit bumps and cracks on road. Feels like my insides are gonna come out!! Anyway my question is there anything I can do like add-a-leaf or helper springs from my local parts store that will soften the ride so its not so bad or is the only thing thats gonna help is replace the leafs? Any ideas would be great. This is an everyday driver and I need to get it fixed ASAP!!! The links below are a couple pics of my truck and the rear springs. The springs look pretty flat to me. Does this look like sag going on to anyone?

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...t/PB090009.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...b/P9030054.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...b/P9030053.jpg
Old 12-29-2007, 12:01 PM

Put a long add-a-leaf in and it will help. As for the front you can't do much, maybe back off the torsion bars a bit. If it is bouncing, make sure your shocks are good.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:13 PM

Its not bouncing like bad shocks I have had before. Before I have got like a floating bounce going on if that makes since with bad shocks. This is just a hard bucking like bounce. Doesnt make any noise but just bucks you out of the sit like a hard hit. I havent replaced the shocks yet because I wasnt sure if the shocks would act like that. Whats the best long add-a-leaf and where can I get them?
Old 12-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like you are riding on the overload spring, mine did that for years VERY rough ride. I would go with an add-a-leaf. I hear the Rancho long add-a-leaf is good, im running a short style procomp, it made my ride MUCH smoother, but if you are into wheeling I wouldnt recomend a short style, they tend to mess your springs up in the long run. I am replacing mine soon anyways so it didnt matter to me.

Here you can see where the springs were riding on the overload (dark patch).

Old 12-29-2007, 02:01 PM
MSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know you are looking for a cheap fix but cheap doesn't always fix rough ride.It sounds as though you are hiting the bump stops from the rear leaves being sacked out. I'd find a old man emu dealer willing to wheel and deal on a set of new leafs. Take off the lower overload to give you an awesome setup for stock height I just don't think you will be happy with add a leafs. PM me and I can give you a price to work with
Old 12-29-2007, 02:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
riding on the overloads will dramatically reduce ride quality
and as already stated, add-a-leaves would be the cheapest, quick fix for ya
new springs would be the best bet, cheap way for that would be to look for a decent set in the junkyard

Originally Posted by MSR
...It sounds as though you are hiting the bump stops from the rear leaves being sacked out....
doesn't look like he's hitting the bumps that much, looks like a good 2"-3" between the bumpstops, and theres no markings on the upper stop to indicate excessive usage
Old 12-29-2007, 04:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Congratulations. You have attained negative arch! My 4rnr was like that until I added some coils between the axle and frame....the "Zuk Mod".

If you have a spring shop in your area, they ought to be able to add a long leaf to your existing pack. Something like this is cheap and works well for a while provided you don't overload your truck. Then, consider some new shocks. Riding your springs like that for an extended period wears shocks out quickly. They may be fine, but once you address the springs even just some new rear shocks would help a lot.

EDIT:
Actually, after having looked at your shocks better, with that rust I'd guess they're fairly old. New shocks would definitely help.

Last edited by thook; 12-29-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Banned

Bilstein. Shocks.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by mattk
Its not bouncing like bad shocks I have had before. Before I have got like a floating bounce going on if that makes since with bad shocks. This is just a hard bucking like bounce. Doesnt make any noise but just bucks you out of the sit like a hard hit. I havent replaced the shocks yet because I wasnt sure if the shocks would act like that. Whats the best long add-a-leaf and where can I get them?
Furthermore...
Don't replace your shocks (I'm willing to be you need to) until you fix the springs. The springs are shot. That is, there's no "spring" left in them once they've begun to negatively arch like that. The temper in the metal is gone....hence the bucking rough ride. Shocks alone will not help that.

But, like I said, adding an extra brand new leaf to the packs will help and still retain "softness" in the ride. Brand new because they will last longer than ones that are used and still keep you in a low price range. I've done it before, but killed them when I overloaded with bricks one too many times. Can't kill the new coils, though.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:09 PM

i had the same problem, i used a skyjacker add-a-leaf and it was much better
Old 12-29-2007, 05:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. Now I just need to decide which way to, but all the replies really help.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Do you have a spring shop in your area?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:16 PM

I will have to check into the spring shop and see if one is around here.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:54 PM

Same problem only worse here, but I'm gonna go with air springs. Just gotta put the cash together.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:59 PM

It probably wouldn't hurt to go get some stock rear packs at a junkyard etc. and add a leaf from them to your existing pack. It will increase ride carrying capacity and if it's not enough, you'll still have more leafs to work with. Don't forget to cut them and stagger them like they are, you don't want two leafs the exact same length in the pack.

If it was me, I'd get some OME rear springs, new shocks all the way around, and call it good.