86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Retrofitting Variable Valve Timing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Retrofitting Variable Valve Timing?

For those of you who know anything about variable valve timing, do you think that there is potential to retrofit variable valve timing controllers on older engines? Perhaps this is just a dream I thought up the other day...but maybe worthy of discussion?

Here's something I stumbled accross recently (kind of interesting read I guess). http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?...6&DISPLAY=DESC

Edit: here's another interesting link: http://www.vvpower.com/

Last edited by CoedNaked; 08-24-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
that second link kinda seems like the ol Helix power tower, know what I mean?

however, there isn't any way to put a VVT system in our 22R or 3VZ engines. you would have to completely change the cams so the gears were able to move, as in the VVT-I, VVTL-I, and VTEC systems.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting stuff... from reading the first link it would seem to be posible with their system but it sounds very involved and complex, you might be better off just to buy an engine with VVT and install it.

The second link http://www.vvpower.com/ seems to use a much simpler solution but I would be concerned about the durability of the valve within the valve set up, the motor trend article link is interesting though, it might be worth more research.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
that second link kinda seems like the ol Helix power tower, know what I mean?

however, there isn't any way to put a VVT system in our 22R or 3VZ engines. you would have to completely change the cams so the gears were able to move, as in the VVT-I, VVTL-I, and VTEC systems.
I agree with your first point cougar but it might warrent more research.
as for the second point when you get to the bottom of the patent app. notice thingy they actually say that the heads would need reworking and install of a new cam system.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:37 PM

That is sooooo impractical, even with VVT-i our engines (the V6) would still suck, single overhead cam per bank and 2 valves per cylinder, no sir.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
I agree with your first point cougar but it might warrent more research.
as for the second point when you get to the bottom of the patent app. notice thingy they actually say that the heads would need reworking and install of a new cam system.
Yea, i know that part. I think he is thinking more of an easy bolt in application. There really isn't any practical reason to install VVT-i in our trucks. For the amount of money you would spend, you could have a 1GR WITH VVT-i already installed.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it'd probably be easier to implement a centrifugal force based system that would simply advance or retard the cam timing based on engine rpm- advance the cam at idle and retard it at speed in order to move the powerband higher as rpms increase.
perhaps a fluid based system could be incorporated with an intermediate follower between the cam and valve that could also vary lift to some degree.
hmm... hydraulically adjustable rockers....
wouldn't be much different in operation than a diesel injection pump....

*the above idea and suggestions are hereby copyrighted by me upon publication on the Internet....
Old 08-24-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
That is sooooo impractical, even with VVT-i our engines (the V6) would still suck, single overhead cam per bank and 2 valves per cylinder, no sir.
This is the best reply yet!

No point in trying to stuff more air in an already restricted and limited valve train.

It could be worth it on the 5vz, but I'd rather just swap the lexus 4.0L V8 in my runner than mess with the heads/computer that much.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:14 PM

i think its a very good idea, I also had a dream of making an all coil style head witch means theres no oil no coolant or anything to go in the head and here then you would be able to flick a switch and go from lots ol power to eco and then stock for smog things but i dont know just an idea i had a long time ago that i still didnt make into working state but i did make one a long time ago lots fo work!!