Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Regearing question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regearing question

So I got my front and rear gear sets for my runner
Along with the set up kits , only thing I need and still have to start saving for is my arb rear locker , only thing that's killing me is driving around with brand new 33's and being reminded how bad i need to regear , so I found a shop that will regear it and install the locker if I mount and wire up the compressor for the locker for $600 which I've been told is a very good price for both axles , my question is if I have them install the gears only and 8 months down the road I bring them the rear locker will I have to provide a new set up kit for the rear ? Cause I know I will already be taken a hit on the labor to open up the rear diff again or should I just bite the bullet driving with the stock gears which I feel sucks and wait to have all done at one time ? Thing is too I only plan on using the locker a couple times a year
Old 02-10-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
If your not going to use 4wd till you get the ARB. Then do one diff put in rear until you get ARB then swap open diff to front and ARB in rear. Will save install price.

Be cautious with ppl setting up Toyota gears. Many guys have been burnt by going to a local shop that didn't do set up properly.

Otherwise limp it with stock gears then do both at once. Just my $.02
Old 02-10-2015, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
If your not going to use 4wd till you get the ARB. Then do one diff put in rear until you get ARB then swap open diff to front and ARB in rear. Will save install price. Be cautious with ppl setting up Toyota gears. Many guys have been burnt by going to a local shop that didn't do set up properly. Otherwise limp it with stock gears then do both at once. Just my $.02
I had no idea I could swap the rear diff into the front thought the front was a 7.5 inch and the rear 8 inch ?
Old 02-10-2015, 04:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Be patient and do it right the first time. You might have to wait a few but it will be worth it in the long run.

I redid my gears and put ARB's in, F+R. Mr Zuk on this site helped me big time.

If you have basic tools plus torque wrenches and wanna learn, do it yourself and be sure its right. ...and save some dough!

just a thought.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by gandude
Be patient and do it right the first time. You might have to wait a few but it will be worth it in the long run. I redid my gears and put ARB's in, F+R. Mr Zuk on this site helped me big time. If you have basic tools plus torque wrenches and wanna learn, do it yourself and be sure its right. ...and save some dough! just a thought.
yeah when it comes to the regearing I would sleep a lot better knowing a professional did them plus this shop I have in mind specializes in regearing Toyotas , but think you might be right about just waiting.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clok
I had no idea I could swap the rear diff into the front thought the front was a 7.5 inch and the rear 8 inch ?
I am very new to this, but Im guessing mudd assumes you have a solid front axle. If you instead have IFS the front and rear are not interchangeable (7.5" vs 8" like you said). If you are thinking about doing the SAS get a refund for the gears/kit for the front and save up... Dont dump any money in the IFS.

yeah when it comes to the regearing I would sleep a lot better knowing a professional did them plus this shop I have in mind specializes in regearing Toyotas , but think you might be right about just waiting.
I am making the same descision for my 86... After I totaled up the $ for an ARB, gear set, master kit, labor for setting the gears... it ended up being cheaper to buy a fully built diff from Marlin. And I figure he knows how to set up Toyota gears.

But back to the original question, AFAIK you are going to need to have the R&P reset when you bring the ARB into the equation, which means another $200ish in labor. Im not sure if you can reuse the master install supplies.

(Driving a dog for 8 months) > $200 ?

Thats a hard call
Old 02-10-2015, 07:14 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
The pinion depth is the fussy part of a gear install, and swapping in the ARB later shouldn't change that setting from where it will have been set when the new gears are installed. It'll be the same ring gear on the same center-line axis, and that's what affects pinion depth. If the required pinion depth changes just by adding the ARB, someone screwed up during one of the installs.

The ring gear backlash will have to be reset, but that's easy in a Toyota rear 3rd member.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:41 PM

My bad, was thinking SAS/SFA rig.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by RJR
The pinion depth is the fussy part of a gear install, and swapping in the ARB later shouldn't change that setting from where it will have been set when the new gears are installed. It'll be the same ring gear on the same center-line axis, and that's what affects pinion depth. If the required pinion depth changes just by adding the ARB, someone screwed up during one of the installs.

The ring gear backlash will have to be reset, but that's easy in a Toyota rear 3rd member.
I don't know that I agree with this. As the Thousandsth of an inch the measurement here. So different manufactures or even different carriers from the same manufactures at different ends of the tolerance range. But I'm kinda picky about suck things so may be fine.

But for the price of gears and an ARB do it once and do it correctly.

OP have you looked at Zip lockers by Yukon?? A little cheaper. Why not an autolocker??
Old 02-10-2015, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
I don't know that I agree with this. As the Thousandsth of an inch the measurement here. So different manufactures or even different carriers from the same manufactures at different ends of the tolerance range. But I'm kinda picky about suck things so may be fine. But for the price of gears and an ARB do it once and do it correctly. OP have you looked at Zip lockers by Yukon?? A little cheaper. Why not an autolocker??
I think I'll just wait to have it done all at one time because the cost for parts and labor is gonna put me down for a while cant afford to redo it again ! It's my daily driver so I don't won't any surprises with an auto locker especially in the rain and going around corners at higher speeds I feel much safer with an on/off switchable locker now my gears are Yukon might look into the zip locker it's like 150 less I think then the original arb