Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rebuilt 22re has a bad miss

Old 04-14-2018, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilt 22re has a bad miss

I need some help as I am out of ideas.... I have a 1987 4runner sr5 22re and I just had the engine rebuilt... .060 over, new pistons, rockers, ENGNbldr Street RV head, ENGNbldr 270/430 cam, EGR delete, silicone vacuum lines, trailgear header, 2 1/2” dual exhaust off a thrush welded muffler, cometic HG.... TRUCK runs like awesome for 80-100 miles, then it develops a really bad miss ..... I have replaced the CDI box and coil, new cap, rotor button, plug wires... still misses..... it has a bRand new fuel tank, new fuel filter and has had the o-rings on the injectors rplaced.....I just completely drained the fuel tank and flushed the lines with alcohol, put 2 cans of sea foam and good 93 octane shell gas in and, still, it has a nasty miss.... it will run fine for a day, then the next it will barely run.... the only thing I have not replaced would be the injectors, but I have never had an injector go out before and I don’t know what that feels like when one does go bad. Does anyone have any ideas ? Thanks in advance
Old 04-15-2018, 10:59 AM

We have a business around here called 'Dr. Injector'. Maybe you have something similar near you. They will clean and completely reseal your injectors. I think I paid $25.00 per injector. It only took them a few days to get them done, and way cheaper than replacing with new injectors. Once I got them cleaned, the truck ran way better. Just an idea.

As a secondary side-note, there is a major ground behind the kick plate in front of the drivers door. Old Toys leak, and if that ground gets rusty, it will make your truck run terrible. It can cause problems, like power cutting out, etc. My truck was running terrible, and I couldn't figure out the problem until I discovered this ground. It was rusted badly. I took it apart, sanded everything, put to back together, and it all of a sudden ran like new. All over a stupid ground.

Best of luck to you!!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I plan on checking to see if the computer is throwing any codes, and for sure will check on the ground issue. I’m gonna double check to make sure that all of the injector connectors are firmly attachaed as well. I’m running out of patience with this truck, it just seems to never be right, no matter what I do to it or who works on it. My engine guy is tired of looking at it, and my mechanic friends are starting to dodge my calls because that know it’s something else with the 4runner. I am very mechanically inclined and between my dad and I, we rarely get stumped on an engine issue, but this stupid 22re is making everyone (including me and dad) look foolish. I have a ton of money in this thing and I’m about to set it on fire and walk away.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:17 PM

The truck only misses while driving, it never sputters once at idle or while working the throttle sitting still. So, that makes it hard to make an adjustment and see if it helps, plus it is so unpredictable as to when it misfires, you cannot just drive it 5 minutes and BAM there it goes. Drove it all day today (about 60 miles) without a hiccup. So far I have 523 miles on the motor, and it has never ran the same 2 days in a row

Last edited by bendiesel76; 04-16-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:48 PM

I know the aggravated part well. That was me before I found that ground. I've done all my own work on her too, minus brakes one time. Mines an 87' Sr5 pick-up,with the 22re, so it's basically identical to your truck. I'm pushing 325,000 miles on the original motor. She's tired, but I love her.

I've been going through everything I've needed to do to her in my head, and I'm semi-stumped. It sounds electrical for sure. I don't think it's your injectors themselves at all. The connections, maybe. I have to wiggle my cold start injector wiring occasionally (I should just replace it). It sounds like something in the wiring is is loose, and bouncing back, and forth. Forgive me, I'm just thinking out loud.

I'll keep thinking about it! See what pops into my head.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Glenh865
I know the aggravated part well. That was me before I found that ground. I've done all my own work on her too, minus brakes one time. Mines an 87' Sr5 pick-up,with the 22re, so it's basically identical to your truck. I'm pushing 325,000 miles on the original motor. She's tired, but I love her.

I've been going through everything I've needed to do to her in my head, and I'm semi-stumped. It sounds electrical for sure. I don't think it's your injectors themselves at all. The connections, maybe. I have to wiggle my cold start injector wiring occasionally (I should just replace it). It sounds like something in the wiring is is loose, and bouncing back, and forth. Forgive me, I'm just thinking out loud.

I'll keep thinking about it! See what pops into my head.
i really appreciate the help. I’m taking it back to the engine guy one last time tomorrow to see if he can find anything... if not, it’s gonna be a bunch of long evenings and weekends trying to get this thing right. I love working on my truck, but my work schedule does not allow me to do all that I want to do to it myself, and that’s equally frustrating
​​​​​​
Old 04-16-2018, 06:16 PM

Any time, I'm glad to try to help. Maybe just fresh ideas. Mines my work truck, so I can't afford for it to go down.

Best of luck with the engine guy! It'll work out!

Please post what you find out.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:14 PM

Me too

I had the same problem. I would drive on the freeway for about an hour and my truck would sputter out and stall.
1989 pickup 22re, new motor installed 2 years ago, 20k Miles.
it was throwing CEL 14
i had a Toyota mechanic troubleshoot and it was a wire shorting out under the exhaust manifold.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:52 PM

I had a similar problem with misfires on my 86' 22re so I sent off the injectors to WitchHunter Performance to get serviced and while they were there I opened up the wiring harness and found multiple injector wires were barley connected. That was my problem, so I cleaned the wires, soldered them, and used heat shrink. Runs so smooth now with calibrated injectors and solid wire connections.
Attached Thumbnails Rebuilt 22re has a bad miss-img_3736.jpg   Rebuilt 22re has a bad miss-img_3739.jpg  
Old 04-22-2018, 03:10 AM

Update... had the valve lash adjusted, checked timing .... unhooked battery to reset the ECU, changed back to factory coil.... let the truck sit for 2 days. It has ran like a champ without a miss for 2 days now. I had a brand new accel coil on the truck, replaced it with my old one and who knows why, the truck is so far doing great. Could the coil have been causing interference? I have ran hot coils on these before without an issue. I split the harness to check for bad wires, but found none around the injectors, however I did find some rock hard wires on the drivers side, looks like they were too close to the header, so I spliced in some good wire. I checked all the grounding points and sanded them down to insure a good connection as well. I really don’t know what the issue was, but for now, it’s smooth. I really appreciate all you you guys’ input. I’ll keep y’all posted if it happens again.

Last edited by bendiesel76; 04-22-2018 at 03:26 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:26 AM

Cool, that's awesome to hear!! I hope she keeps running smooth for you. You already checked everything else that I might have thought of. My brain was thinking injector wiring, but the coil huh? I suppose if you wanted to check to make sure, you could re-install the accel coil, and see what happens. As for the exact issue, I don't know. I'm more along the mechanical side, rather than the electrical. Most of my info came from Yotatech, so the more we know, the better. Please post on how she's running!