Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear Wndow - 87Runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Wndow - 87Runner

Rear window on my 4Runner quit working a few weeks ago. Before it quit working all together it'd make a clicking noise when it reached the top of its travel when closing. Now, when I press the window up switch in the center console I still get the clicking noise, like the window is trying to go up, but when I push window down I get nothing. The interior lights dim slightly, but no window movement. I hear a small click from the rear of the truck too.

All switches for the rear window and wiper/wassher are connected and the wiper/washer does work.

I don't look forward to working on the tailgate/window from the inside. That damned rear window needs a manual override.

Haven't looked through the FSM yet, thought I'd see if anyone here had a suggestion first. It kinda seems like the rear window lock is stuck on (locked), but I don't think It'd get the clikcing noise on window up if that were the case.

Oh - using a key in the tailgate to lower the window produces the exact same results.

All help appreciated....
Old 05-09-2008, 05:08 AM
MWS

had the same problem on my old 87 runner

the window motor has a gear on it to roll the window up and down....the window regulator's corresponding gear is pretty thin and cut a groove in the center of the motor gear.....lots of clicking but no window movement.....changed the motor and all was good.....
Old 05-09-2008, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by MWS
the window motor has a gear on it to roll the window up and down....the window regulator's corresponding gear is pretty thin and cut a groove in the center of the motor gear.....lots of clicking but no window movement.....changed the motor and all was good.....
Excellent, I have a spare motor and everything. Seems like it'll be a pain to get in there with the tailgate locked shut, but I'll get after it.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lots of useful info on rear windows in here

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml
Old 05-09-2008, 07:21 AM

Ugh. I have the rear window motor in hand. The drive gear on it is in fine condition - actually better condition than my "spare". My spare does have the worn teeth as mentioned by MWS.

What I found is broken teeth on the regulator. This seems like a much more difficult fix than remove/replace the drive motor. I may or may not have a spare regulator since my parts truck has been - um - well shot up with an SKS (what can I say - it was fun).

Anyone remove/replace the rear window and regulator, have any tips?

Anyone have an extra regulator thay'd sell me?
Old 05-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

hehe, looks like you and fuster should spend some quality time together with your 'mistresses'!!

lee