Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear window track roller

Old 05-28-2006, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window track roller

Hi everybody.

The driver side track roller for my rear window broke today. Does anybody know a part number and/or source for these guys? It's a 1986 1st gen 4Runner, for what it's worth.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went through the same problem... When I looked at it, toyota would only sell the roller and the arm together (expensive). So I went to a machine shop, drew up a print, and had them make a roller out of ABS... has worked for some time now and only cost me about 5 bucks... I can try and dig up the print if you'd like.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
As Cory pointed out, It will cost you from Toyota. See if his print will work, or go the junk yard and see what you can dig up.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:04 PM

Thanks, Cory. If you have it, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Fixed mine about 5 years ago with rollers made for a sliding closet door. Got them at the hardware store for $3.75 a pair, drilled out the rivets holding the old ones on and used the small bolts & nuts that came with the new rollers. I put locktite on the treads and have had no problems since. Maybe not a conventional fix but it works and you can't beat the price.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Contributing Member

That may be a whole lot easier fix than getting a roller made for it... lemme know if youd still like the print... im getting ready to move and it might take some digging, but id be more than happy to look if need be!
Old 05-29-2006, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dublin
Fixed mine about 5 years ago with rollers made for a sliding closet door. Got them at the hardware store for $3.75 a pair, drilled out the rivets holding the old ones on and used the small bolts & nuts that came with the new rollers. I put locktite on the treads and have had no problems since. Maybe not a conventional fix but it works and you can't beat the price.
That's ingenious. I'd be worried about strength, but at $3.75 a pair that's lasted for 5 years, it sounds like it's doing the job. I won't even have to drill out the rivet, since the old one broke right off! Do you happen to have the size of the roller handy? My old one was flat spotted and distorted. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2006, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

3/4"D x7/16"W made of the same material as the oem roller. Be sure to install it with the nut away from the rail back. Had my gate open a couple weeks ago to replace the lock switch and they are still working nice, secure and rolling smoothly. BTW the rollers for drivers, passenger and rear gate are all the same size.

Last edited by Dublin; 05-29-2006 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:08 PM

Problem is fixed!!

Hi all.

Thank you all for responding. I just wanted to share my joy and perhaps help others in the future. I went with Dublin's solution and looked for replacement rollers.

At Home Depot, I found 2 rollers that were 3/4". One was flat and the other was rounded, but both were made by Prime Line. The threaded portion of the flat one ended up being too wide to fit through the hole in the arm, so the rounded one was used. Here is the manufacturer's link to the part (M-6000). The best part was the pair cost $1.67. Home Depot Racing strikes again!

The offending bits:

The solution:

My rear window has never closed so far up. Now the passenger side appears to droop a little bit more. I didn't have time to drill out the passenger side roller, which looked worn and not at all 3/4". It shall be fixed, and I will know what a fully closed rear window looks like!

Thanks guys!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

Good to hear all is well!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Resurrecting this thread - My problem is the track. The rollers, although they don't look new, are still there. However the track is rusted out, making the rear window all but useless, so I've chosen to leave it up in lieu of carbon monoxide poisoning until I can fix it.

Has anyone replaced the rear window track down at the bottom where the rollers hook to? Or do you have to replace the entire window?

If it can be replaced, does anyone have a part number or know what toyota calls this part?

Thanks,
Kyle

Last edited by My99; 05-20-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:45 PM

Oh, I should point out my latest ride is an 86 4Runner w/ 70k original miles. Unfortunately, a good many of them were spent up north.

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 05-20-2007, 07:09 PM

You mean the track that is attached to the glass?

Ive replaced the track. I got the parts from the dealer (this was in lik 97?).

The track is "friction" held on to the glass by a rubber gasket. I think I got a new gasket too...

Basically use a rubber mallet to drive OFF the old rusted up metal channel and drive the new on ON with a rubber mallet.

Bear in mind I used to assemble those "glass cube" display things at a retail store (Eastern Mtn Sports actually) so I got LOTS of practice (and only broke maybe one pane)... I was so good at it the manager used to leave that task for the days when I came in - or since I was a part timer (working for the discount - I had a corporate day job at the time) I would punch in for the 1 hour it would take me (other people took a 3 hour shift to do it).
Old 05-20-2007, 07:15 PM

Does this,by chance,work on the windshield wipers?You can't buy rollers for them either,only the whole arm.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

About $18 each at the stealership and the rubber welting comes with them.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ewong
You mean the track that is attached to the glass?

Ive replaced the track. I got the parts from the dealer (this was in lik 97?).

The track is "friction" held on to the glass by a rubber gasket. I think I got a new gasket too...

Basically use a rubber mallet to drive OFF the old rusted up metal channel and drive the new on ON with a rubber mallet.

Bear in mind I used to assemble those "glass cube" display things at a retail store (Eastern Mtn Sports actually) so I got LOTS of practice (and only broke maybe one pane)... I was so good at it the manager used to leave that task for the days when I came in - or since I was a part timer (working for the discount - I had a corporate day job at the time) I would punch in for the 1 hour it would take me (other people took a 3 hour shift to do it).
Yes, I do mean the track that's hooked to the window itself. Does anyone know what the part number is/are for re-order. Has anyone done this without prior experience. I'm a decent shade tree mechanic, but never messed with glass.

Thanks,
Old 05-22-2007, 05:42 PM

i am looking to add a new roller or two on my rear window, and replace the track that attaches to the bottom of the window as well. but mine is a 2nd gen, and it looks like the two fixes here are for 1st gens. anyone know or done this on a 2nd gen? i would also like to know what the track part is called, or possibly a part #? thanks for all the help. looking forward to being able to actually use my window and tailgate this summer.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:48 PM

Go to a Toyota Dealer.

Parts guy will look it up on the computer.

Hardest part is taking the door apart to get the glass OUT.

Replacing the track is easy at that point
Old 05-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

I had the same problem:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/rear-window-issues-caused-rusted-channel-guides-113259/

I didn't finish the thread as my wife deleted all of my last pictures

Anyway, I ordered some used channel guides from govt.mule on here. I widened the guides with a screwdriver to get the broken glass out of the used ones. I then pried the rusted ones out, primed and painted the new ones (to fix the root of the problem), and then glued them back in with window sealant. I coated all moving parts with moly and put it back together. Works like new now.

Highly recommend govt.mule

Good luck!