86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Braking Problem & LSPV

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Braking Problem & LSPV

I had to change the lines going from the front to the LSPV (load sensing proportioning valve). Unfortunately I did not keep track of which line goes where. I searched the forum, but could not find the answer or any other place online. I also have a Haynes book, but it does not give a diagram (what did I buy the book for?) Which line coming into the lspv comes directly from the master cylinder? Is it the top line or the bottom?

The symptom that makes me think that I might have a problem here is that after replacing the lines and the master cylinder I don't have very good brakes. Sometimes I have to pump the brakes in order to get enough braking power. I have bled the system multiple times and have no air coming out anywhere.

Also, I don't seem to have any rear brakes. I know this because when stopping on gravel the fronts would lock up, but the rears wouldn't seem to be doing anything. I adjusted up the one drum, but was unable to get the drum off on the other side. I don't know if this could be the problem. I do get pressure on both back bleeders when I bleed the lines which I have been told should indicate that they are adjusted ok (or at least enough to give pressure). I have not adjusted the lspv, which I may still do. The fact that when I bleed the rear and I get fluid indicates that it must be allowing fluid by, but I may be wrong here.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you bleed the LSPV, it needs to be done last. Apart from that I can't help much, I tried not to touch that valve when I had my 2nd gen.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:00 PM

Yes I have bled it. I have done it last too. In trying to figure this out I have bled it in all different orders.

Some info I didn't give. My truck is a 4wd 92 w/ a 4 cylinder engine and 5 speed.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Try this link, it might help. Like I said before I don't know much about the LSPV

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/cheaptricks/brakevalve/
Old 08-10-2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
Try this link, it might help. Like I said before I don't know much about the LSPV

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/cheaptricks/brakevalve/
I'm glad you posted this, I was thinking of removing the LSPV all together, and installing a manuel PV. This is a lot cheaper.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:19 AM

Look which line goes where

Originally Posted by LOCKnGO
I'm glad you posted this, I was thinking of removing the LSPV all together, and installing a manuel PV. This is a lot cheaper.
When you take yours off to replace it, can you look to see what line goes where in the old proportioning valve. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by bereanmh
When you take yours off to replace it, can you look to see what line goes where in the old proportioning valve. Thanks.
Well I was going to try doing what eric-the-red posted in that link. I mean if I already have a valve that can be manualy (err jerry-justed) adjusted I am going to try that first. I never did like Toyotas idea of the pully/ cable/ hydralic Pvalve system.