Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quick question about the factory air intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:33 AM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Quick question about the factory air intake

this might seem dumb, but connected to the intake box thier are two other boxes the seem to tap in to the intake hose and have vacum lines coming out of them......(i recall some told me one traps water and the other is for emisons).... mine are shattred into pecies and i want to make a custome one like i had on my old truck. i would seal off the vacum hoses with mini filers (see pic below) and well it would be like the one below in the pic but with out the extra "boxes"

so basically can the truck run without them properly, because it seems to me like it robbing the truck of power.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:13 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
They both draw filtered air from the air intake. Neither is intended to collect water, but the one on the air filter box sure does for some reason.

The one on the air hose is commonly refered to as the "intake silencer", hence the term ISR(Intake Silencer Removal) Mod which requires it's removal. That term's actually sort of a misnomer though, because that box isn't there for just that purpose, nor is it the only/primary "intake silencer"(and it's called an "intake air resonator" technically, so it should be called an IRR Mod really) What it's for other than that I know because the hose leading from it goes to lines that end at the PS Pump Air Valve/Idle Up Valve. Which opens to allowing more air into the intake plenum chamber, thereby raising the idle speed when PS pump pressure is high. Search the terms PS Idle up for more info.

The other one, on the air filter box, is also a "silencer". Or rather, "resonator", as Toyota calls it. It's purpose is to buffer the pulsations in the intake air mass caused by the cycling of the PAIR valve, so as to "silence" them from air intake/make it quieter. And it doesn't necessarily require removal during an "ISR mod" install(so go figure). It connects through hoses/lines to the PAIR valve. Thus, ultimately to the exhaust manifold. Search PAIR valve for more info on it.

Your engine can do without either. I got rid of mine years ago.

DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT do like what's shown in that pic and put a filter on the PCV inlet/overflow. That's a ticking time bomb of corrosion that will lead, eventually, to premature overhaul when it finally "goes off". Not smart...

Last edited by MudHippy; 07-02-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:40 AM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
thank you very much, that exactly what i needed to know.

also..the pic is of my old 4runner and i had it like that for abour a year and a half, went through mud holes, and deep water, and never once had an issue.
and yes i could see how that would lead to corrosion problems, but wouldnt that take years to devlope.?

and i know the soluting is to run the vacum lines into the "new" intake tube and thread them in. however it seems like cheaper and easier way is to put the min filters on. so what has been your exprience with this?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:13 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Basically, the PCV valve can't remove all the blowby at all times. It sometimes needs to be drawn out by the breather hose too. If you put a breather filter on the valve cover, it's no longer technically a closed PCV system. Which it was purposefully designed to be. They made it that way for a reason. A filter isn't positively ventilating/forcefully removing the blowby gasses from the crankcase, it's just letting them out. Not as good. Too risky IMO.

Why?

My experience is that if your PCV valve/system is clogged/dirty/restrictive, then you'll be glad you had a breather hose and not a filter. Because I found out the hard way that it takes ~6000 miles to do some serious engine damage even with the breather hose intact, if the PCV valve/system isn't working efficiently. Would've been A LOT less miles if I had a filter there instead, since it was atleast trying to "take up the slack".

This is what can happen when your motor oil thins and acidifies from excessive blowby gasses contaminating it.(HC, H2O).

Of course, that may have not been the only factor. But all the pistons and cylinder walls were pretty scuffed up for some reason ~6k miles since I'd changed the HG's(when they were flawless..IMPO!).

A neglected PCV system will soon fail to function and the result can be
expensive as well as troublesome for the car owner. If the crankcase is not
adequately ventilated, the motor oil will quickly become contaminated and heavy
sludge accumulations will begin to form. Internal parts, not protected by the
motor oil, will begin to rust and/or corrode due to the water and acids that will
become trapped within the crankcase. If the PCV system is not functioning
properly, the flow of crankcase vapor into the intake manifold will not be properly
metered.

This, in turn, will upset the fuel/air mixture for combustion and cause rough idling
or even stalling of the engine. Furthermore, intake and exhaust valves, in
addition to spark plugs, may well be burned and rendered useless, prematurely
affecting performance and requiring expensive repairs. To assure trouble-free
performance of the PCV system and, in turn, the engine and vehicle, routine
maintenance of the PCV system is absolutely recommended and required.
http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/94-2R1.pdf

Last edited by MudHippy; 07-02-2011 at 02:49 PM.