86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quick 22R-TE Rebuild Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick 22R-TE Rebuild Question

I want to get rebuild my motor having a shop install oversize valves and a cam in the head. Question is what do i need to worry about with the block? Right now the motor is running and not smoking but has no comp in one cylinder. Should i re-use my pistons with new rings and just drop them back into the block? Do i NEED to have the block sent to a shop to be checked out? What would i look for on the block to figure out if its re-usable or needs machine work?

Thanks for the help
~Cordell
Old 10-31-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is seems to never fail...once the top end is rebuilt it destroy's the bottom end.

I would at least pull my main bearing to see how they look. Also see what kind of condition the timing chain is in.

If it were me, I would also get all your oil and water passages cleaned, but that means hot tanking the block. Which basically means tearing the entire thing down.

If I'm in an engine that far, I am refreshing things up top and bottom...
Old 11-01-2011, 05:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your compression problem might be a cracked head. Due to the larger compression chambers the 22-rte heads are already prone to cracking between the intake and exhaust ports (mine was).

[IMG][/IMG]

First thing I would do is remove the head take it to an engine rebuild shop and have it checked for cracks. If your head isn't already cracked then I'd be very wary of getting larger valves installed...larger seats= less metal between the ports!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 AM

Were you running higher boost at all? I was gonna get lather valves just to add some power while I'm already in there, but I DON'T want to sacrifice reliability. Would I get more out of boring over the pistons and leaving the head alone?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

Just be smart about it. As snobdds pointed out, if you are going to be investing this much time and money (sounds like more of the latter) into the engine, your best bet is to do it right and rebuild everything from the top down.

I realize you are wanting to get as much power out of the engine as possible, but that power will only be useful if the entire engine is beefed up to handle it (and in good enough condition to).

That's just my $.02,

Fink
Old 11-01-2011, 08:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought this engine from a guy in PA. I wanted it to restore my 86 4Runner 22-rte back to stock. As far as I know this engine was completely stock and never had anything done to it. The head was cracked between the exhaust and intake ports of #4, the CT20 turbo was cracked between the exhaust turbine housing and the wastegate. These are both well documented problems with the 22-rte. If you want a reliable engine with more power, lot's of guys have put 22-re heads on the these engines with the stock bottom end and they seem to work pretty good. Ted at engnbuldr .com is a great source of information for these engines and he told me that he was surprised how well these engines did work with the stock 22-re head. (Smaller combustion chambers). You will find him on here once and awhile , but he's also on Pirate and 4x4 wire.
engnbldr@engnbldr.com
Also if you really want to find out about what you can do to these engines go join this site.
http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplemachinesforum/

As far as boring your block, I had to have mine bored to 0.040" and that's the maximum you can bore these, if you have alot of miles on yours it may have to be bored as well. I went with stock toyota pistons, I got 2 out of California, but the other 2 had to come from Japan.