Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

a question on reliabilty

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I worked my a$$ off since 8th grade(now in 11th) and within those 3 years i saved up $8500+. I always loved these trucks since i could remember(dad had a 85pickup when i was 5 and i loved it!!) My friends cars: '02Yukon, Full size Bronco, 99integra, 98 civic si. When it was time for me to finally buy i was torn between a '98subie 2.5rs or the 89yota. Of course the family and friends diddnt see that as much of a decision... i just couldnt spend all of my money on a stock subie so i spent 1500 on the yota. so far the truck has almost broke my bank trying to get it in perfect mechanical shape but i have learned more than ever and loved every second.
Okay, still nobody understands why i chose the gas guzzling underpowered, not so fast yota over the eco friendly, super fast 2.5rs

But, after having it a few months i think a few of my friends are beginning to envy my sexy, faded white, 5speed truck. I wonder what my buddies ricers will do when first snowfall comes???

Overall, This investment has not upset me as of yet and i do not think it will for years to come.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:32 PM

well heres my story...

when i was 15 i got my 1990 pickup 4x4 ext. cab 22re auto.
FOR FREE!
my dads friend was just gonna take it to the junkyard.
that thing was in near perfect condition. the only problem was that it didn't run very well at all.
so i took the 2000 i had saved up took it in and got a new timing chain water pump and a few other things done. drove it around like that for a while. then one day on my way to work it took a crap on me. so i took it in again and spent bout 2500 ish bucks if i remember right for a new head and an RV cam in it. after all that i still loved the truck! then in january i was on my way to our league tourney for wrestling and hit an ice patch goin around the corner, slid sideways off the road and the back tire hit a pot hole flippin me over on the top. i wasnt even wearing a seatbelt and the only scratches i got were on my hands from broken glass when i was crawling out.
i was so depressed after that. i had no money and no truck. so i borrowed my bros truck for a while cuz he couldn't drive yet. i worked two jobs that after that i would get up at like three work concrete for a while, go to school, then after school i would go to work at les schwab.
after months of bustin ass and lookin for trucks i bought an ugly 86 pickup regular cab with a blown 22r
so after about a month and a half of workin on saturdays i took the motor out of the old truck and put it in this one. but i stuck with the carburation cuz i didn't want to deal with an efi swap i just wanted to be drivin my truck again. and that leads me to where i am now. i have about 3k into my truck plus the motor.

and i love this truck more than anything, no matter how ugly my girlfriends thought it was!

rolled 90

new baby
Old 11-30-2008, 05:28 PM

bought my 92 4x4 pickup because i know that at any time or in any weather i can walk outside fire it up and drive off
Old 12-18-2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
I bought my 88 runner for 1600 with 220,000 on the odo. the 91 I inherited with 92,000 on the odo.
I put money into them because I like the trucks. the engine is based on an industrial engine design, which is why they last so long.
the body design- visually keen. not too high on the front, doesn't look heavy like a mazda, ford, mitsu, chev, isuwuwu (lol).
higher resale value compared to the other options.
why not put some extra into it?
I'd rather put 5000 into a truck that'll last 10 years and still sell for 5000 than put 5000 into a truck, another 2000 two years later... and so on, for a truck that'll go for 1200 OBO.
I feel the same way about my 83 for some reason.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:10 PM

Bought my 91 Last December. Didn't know but 40psi in in #3 cylinder, drove it for 5k miles and did a rebuild on it a couple months ago. Now have another 5k miles on her, and she runs great! Love my little 2wd to death! And just recently, I bought my first 4wd yota...its an 86 and is a junker, but will be fun. Can't wait to go wheeling w/ a 4wd. lol.

Toyota 4 life!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:11 PM

Why wouldn't you dump thousands of dollars into a reliably vehicle???
Old 12-18-2008, 11:37 PM

My love for Yotas started back in 89, when my parents bought a brand new Camry Wagon. That car was indestructible. The only 2 times I can remember breaking down was when a radiator hose blew, and when the timing chain went. When the chain started to go the car still ran for something like 15 miles... and once replaced ran good as new. My mom sold in in 2001. I am still bitter.

During this time I knew a guy who had a 81 Pickup with at least 40" tires and the original engine. He even installed a train horn! He used to run the mud pits at Hollister Hills. I started to understand there was something different with these trucks.

When my friend Dan turned 18, he bought a 85 Pickup with 200k miles. We took that truck everywhere. We went camping east of Pinecrest lake in the Sierras and did a little off-roading. I was hooked. That truck just handled everything we threw at it.

He eventually sold that truck to his dad as a ranch truck because the main seal started to leak. That and it would no longer start on its own. He had to park it on a hill to push start it, or keep the engine running. He even figured out how to take the key out of the ignition without stopping the engine!

His next truck was a 87 Xcab. It ran great for a few years, until he ran it from Palo Alto to Los Gatos with without the oil cap. All of a sudden it had no power and was making the worse sounds imaginable. He ran it for a few more miles, pulled off the road, and discovered that one of his piston rods decided to aerate his block. After spending the cash to replace the block, he decided to buy a new Tacoma.

His loss was my gain. He sold it to me for $2k. Its been up on jacks for the last year because my 3rd member blew out on me. I just got that replaced and all I need to do now is bleed the breaks and figure out why fuel isn't getting to the engine (mildly important LOL).

Oh, and my friends old 85? His dad still has it. Adds a quart of oil a week. The starting issues ended up being a bad fuse box. It now has 350k miles on it and still runs great.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:26 AM

started with corollas 20 yrs ago I had over 25 of them

mostly parted out
I had a old barn at my disposal at that time

I only have had 3 non toyotas

then I got a truck, a 79 2wd. I never looked back

I sold or gave away all my cars and became a Pick Up Man

I have had 5 toy pick ups love them

reasons
10: they dont die
9: they fit me well
8: I am known as the toy guy among my friends
7:they look cool
6:they carry my kayaks
5:can only carry two E.G. me and my gal
4:if you ride a motocycle you have to have a truck
3:reltivey inexpenceve
2:fits large tires If you want to and chevy rims fit
1:ez and fun to work on (exept the 3.slow V6)

Last edited by kayakken; 12-19-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:58 AM

Why did I buy mine?
Easy to work on and cheap to fix.

I grew up in one. My parents had a '90 V6 SR5 maroon 2nd gen when they first came out. I was 8 years old and it was the first car I ever drove when I was 11-12 in a grassy field. I knew it was reliable because my parents never had it in the shop. in 250k before they sold it to their neighbor the only work they ever put into it was a clutch at 200k. I bought a 22re since I heard the V6 was annoying to work on. Bought mine for 5k and only put in 380.00 to get it into amazing condition. I hope for a long and fuel efficient friendship.