Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

a question on reliabilty

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is my yota. There are many like it but this one is mine. My yota is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my yota is useless. Without my yota I am useless.

my yota found me, i was broke out of work and my s-10 gave up the fight on me so as fate have it i got my tax return check in the mail yay i had 700 bucks to spend on a truck the s-10 started me likeing trucks

this is going to get graffic if you dont like it scroll down

well as like many others i was sitting on thre pot looking at the paper i saw an ad for a 1987 toyota 4-runner 5-speed 4cly motor 4wd works perfectly sun roof $700

i right a way got up did my finishing ran to the phone called them stole my mom and dads car test drove it and took pictures of it it was love at first site!i then called my mom and dad of coarse they could not come up there i had forgotten i took there car and i had to come home for my yelling at when i told them i had it lol then the next day my mom and dad and me all went up there and looked at her i drove it again talked him down to $500 bucks and drove her right to the dmv that night got her put into mine and my dads name and ever since then i love toyota trucks so much i know have two 1987 toyota 4-runners both of them are 22re's baby!! ooh and both are 5-speeds

and now my wife wants me to redo the trany in the newer runner and make it auto so she can drive it and come out wheeling so i guess its like a cold and it spreads!!
Old 11-25-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine started when i was 16 i had no wheels my mom had to take me everywhere and my cousins parents bought him a truck and he turned it down and he found this toyota baby blue 4x4 3.0 automatic trans and he loved it whenever we went muddin we never got stuck we rolled it and it kept running it never had problem then my aunt bought it from him for about 1000 bucks and it wasnt "strong" enough for what she wanted it to do and that was moving those big round hay rolls so she offered it to me for 500dollars which turned out good for me cause that was about all i had for a new truck and thats when it started for me the money i had left over i went and got new plugs,plug wires, a new air filter and a tank of gas that was the truck i learned how to do a tune up on it was a great starter truck it had a bad idle but it still ran good till i had it for about 3 months and me and my dad went hunting and i sat my muzle loader across the passenger seat and i hit a bump and it went off shot a hole through my passenger door and the power window still worked i was amazed i knew it was a great truck but wow that was cool. i also lost my virginity in that truck gah that was a good nite i still remeber what kind of interior it had i had the 60/40 split bench blue interior to this day i look for that truck around where i live i even catch myslef sitting at red lights day dreaming the goodtimes i had in it then my head gasket blew out and i didnt have the money to fix it so i had to sell it i sold it for 3000 and then i bought my POS ford i hated that truck crappy mileage and i had to repalce the motor and trans and they both had under 80,000miles my first yota had 360,xxx+ miles then i lost control on a wet road the rear of the truck slid out from bhiend me and it spun me into a tree the air bags didnt even go off and the wreck crushed one of the sensors then i was driving through larwenceburg tenn. my then my girlfriend and thats when i saw the yota that i have now the guy wanted 3000 bucks for it i told him id be back with the money and a week later i was and i have been proud to be a toyota owner and when me and my girlfriend went to look for her a new car we went to a ford stealership and the guy asked me if i wanted to trade for a newer truck and i laughed in his face and told him i liked my paid for reliable truck and lets say he took offense to what i had to say about fords so will i trade my favorite truck for anything else nope unless i find another yota that i like better
Old 11-25-2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 87LVRunner
you have a beautiful 1st gen, do you have any more pics?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Ah, this thread is bringing a smile to my face! il start my story to

SOOO
Once apon a time..
nah so for the longest time befor i got my license 4 months ago, i was obsessed with nissan skylines. I loved those cars, so much like, it was unreal. Then a couple of my friends took me 4x4in, slowly after that i started to think about getting a truck... Well, one night me and my friend were hanging out at his 7-11 he worked at. Two big trucks roll in.... ive never seen anything like befor, with the tops off.(4runners). So i went up to them and said, wow nice trucks. And they were all like, oh yeah these toyota's never let us down. We keep beating on them and beating on them and they wont die!. So after that, my friend is like... wait one of the guys i work with has one and i think he's selling it.. Funny thing, the guy lived a block away. So we drove over and looked at it. I fell in love with it at first sight.

So i convinced my parents to help me get it, i think he was asking around 1200$ or something. It was a long two weeks, in the end the guy didnt want to sell it anymore.. yadda yadda yadda. I knew i must get one.. So i started looking.. A week later i find one.. call the guy up and ask him if its okay i come see it tomorrow. So i called the guy back later on in the day and no answer. call him again... nothing. At that point i was pretty bummed out... A week went by and i think i left 5 voicemails and 40 missed calls on his phone! haha, he calls me back and says he was out of town for a week.. so i asked my dad to take me to look at this. So it was set! my parents took me to look at it.. We arrive on this farm and this guy has tones of different types of trucks and cars laying around.

We went around this corner and there it was.. I started to freak out right away and jumped out of our xterra. I ran over and started looking at it. The guy comes out and the first thing i even say is sold! haha, my dad looked at me and said "your not even going to test drive it". So, i was wayy to shy and nervous to test drive it. My dad wanted me to.. but i didnt want to.. so my mom did. She got in, and it fired right up. She took it for a spin, came back. And i guess the door wouldnt open from the inside. So he opened it for her. So my parents started to sign the paper while i kept looking at the truck. So i got in and was amazed. Looked around at everything and was so happy. The guy came around and said, i guess the first project for you is to fix the door eh. I just looked at him and proceeded to open the door.. what did you know.. it opened!. So my dad drove it home, ran flawless! needed a oil change bad... haha

to this day, she has not left me stranded, she's started everytime.. Its sad to say, ive never loved something so much... Its all the little things i love about it, how it leaks random little drips of oil.. How just everything...
wow, i really do love my truck to much..
thats my story lol.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i dont think that the toyota trucks were the most reliable trucks ever made, if it wasn't for the head gaskets and timing chain guides they would be way up there. but i do think that they are the best small pickup that you can buy
Old 11-26-2008, 07:33 AM

the past 2 vehicles ive owned have both been brand new off the lot. They were really nice, and while i tried to make them my own, at the end of the day they looked just like everyone elses brand new vehicles. I just sold one of these said new vehicles and bought an 87 1st gen 4runner, and while i think i payed alittle more than what it was worth, finding one in the condition its in is next to impossible. Everyone thinks im crazy for investing all this money into the 4runner, but its been a while since i had something, as someone else mentioned, that was "mine". I used to own a mint 1984 Ford Bronco 4x4 that i made my own and everyone knew it was me when they saw it on the road. Thats what i like. No payments, one of a kind vehicle, and getting from A to B
Old 11-26-2008, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My uncle came to visit one time in his brand new, 84 4runner. Red. I was 14. I went to climb in what I thought was just a pickup truck with a cap and was amazed to see a back seat! wow! Then he told me the top comes off and its a convertible. I was so impressed, and had always thought they were the coolest trucks.

But my dad was a VW fan, and so I became one too. My first car was a 78 VW Scirocco, and I went on to own a dozen more various VWs and eventually started working for VW when i bought a 78 conv. bug to restore.

But that was a lifetime ago it seems. In college I bought a buddy's 86 Bronco II and became addicted to offroading. After college, when I could finally afford to buy a new car from a dealer, I bought a 2000 Nissan CrewCab fully loaded. It was fun, and I blazed it thru the woods first week I had it, but paying $430 a month was insane. Sold 2 years later.

For 3 years after that I was a motorcycle only daily driver, until my second wreck incapacitated me a while. I wanted a safe vehicle, and bought a 90 Lexus LS400. I learned the reliability of Toyota over the next 5 years.

I got another cycle, and when gas went to $4, I was tired of buying super for the Lex, so I sold it. I decided I wanted a truck again, to tow a cycle should I ever need to trailer it, and to give myself the ability to go camping, to the beach, etc. all the fun outdoor stuff i hadn't been doing without a truck. I wanted to buy a used truck cash, something I would really enjoy.

THERE WAS ONLY ONE OPTION. 1ST GEN 4RUNNER. I found my 88 with perfect interior, body and frame and bought it for $3500, a little steep but I wanted it. RED. I hate red vehicles, but was ok with it - I guess from my first encounter.

Well, I've had to replace the rad, head, clutch, found a soft top on craigslist, and i'm looking forward to doing so much more as soon as my money tree sprouts.

I have already had so much fun with this truck, and I haven't even started. I plan to keep this truck until I'm dead. All my car money will go to this truck right here forever more. Why spend elsewhere? Cars just get you to and fro, and this truck does it. But this truck also makes fun times possible, with a simple style that makes me smile every time.

My VWs were fun driving machines, and Fahrvergnugen was a perfect ad campaign when I worked for them, because they really are fun to drive. Too fun apparently, as I racked up too many license points. The 4Runner is equally fun, but in a "whole 'nother" universe.

It just has character. It's my buddy, and I'll never let it down as I am confident it will never let me down.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:40 AM

I'm in the same boat as KCRunner. Divorce brought me to a point where I wanted a project with no payment. Got just that! No, it's not a "brand new" Yota, but I've got about $6k in the entire project, and I'd put it up against most new(er) Yotas, DEFINITELY any $6k car you could find! No payments, and with ~1500 miles on the new drive train and ~155k on the odo, I've got many years of payment-free fun ahead of me! Got an 11 year old that'll be interested, too! I'll re-evaluate at that time.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:19 AM

snacked mine right up since the second i saw it. ide been looking at junkers all day and was randomly going down a street when there she was. my soon to be beautiful red toyo. garage kept oil changes done when soposto nothing wrong with this truch what so ever. 96000 miles cant beat it. i bouth this truck for 3 reasons. The look on these small trucks are TUFF. They last for EVER. They wheel better then most jeeps.

anyone that reads my posts knows i have been changing my cluch for the past week or so. With the help of my friendly neighborhood mechanic its gettin dun. he said he's done tranny swaps on dumptrucks and their trannys arnt near as big as mine.
over all its the tuffest truck for the least money
Old 11-26-2008, 09:27 AM

Well my story is:

This truck was my first truck, me and my dad bought it in 06 with 124k. I didnt want a 4wheel drive or reg cab, but the price was right and it did have what I wanted (manual transmission).

I went to the beach in it one time and was hooked, that was the frist time I had ever taken it off road, and it did great, with bald street 28s.

Now, my dad passed away about 4 months ago, and left me some money, we had plans for it, and now I can finish the truck we started. So far $12000 done!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:32 AM

OH and did I mention this truck has the same birthday as me 02/10/89 one in a million!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another funny thing. My 84 sits in the garage, the FJ and the H3 are in the driveway. Wife doesn't get that either. lol
Old 11-26-2008, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
OH and did I mention this truck has the same birthday as me 02/10/89 one in a million!
That truck is definitely a keeper.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I fell in love with Toyotas when I bought my Supra. I fell in love with 22Rs (It's a motor you love to hate) when I bought my Celica.

I needed a winter vehicle, so the choice was obvious. A 22R powered Toyota 4x4. I was so happy when I managed to find a TURBO 22R Pickup locally for sale.

I put about 6000km on it the first few weeks of owning it. I took it everywhere. Never had a single problem with it. Still don't, drive it daily. Puts a smile on my face every time I get in to it. That's the sign of a good vehicle in my books.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:03 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
My Dad had an '86 regular cab when I was pretty young. Sometimes we'd ride to his house on the highway in the open bed...funny I'd never do that now or let a child do it but whatever it was fun then. It may be the first vehicle I drove...I remember taking it out into unused farm fields behind his house when I was probably 13.

That's what got me hooked on the look and feel of them. Just always liked them. I've owned an '87 (my first Toyota), then a '92, then an '86 (to this date my absolute favorite of all of them, awesome truck), than a '93, now my '83. I bought the '83 for $1100 knowing it needed a timing chain and clutch. Well...buy the time I realized it also needed a new engine, transmission, shocks etc., it was too late. I was already in love. It's only been up & running for a few months but I love it already. No matter how much I spend on stuff to fix it, it will never equal a $200-300 monthly payment + full coverage insurance for a new vehicle. There a some really cool Tacomas out there, but nothing after 95 or so (in my opinion) will ever be as cool looking or fun as the older Toys.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by annoyingrob
I fell in love with Toyotas when I bought my Supra. I fell in love with 22Rs (It's a motor you love to hate) when I bought my Celica.

I needed a winter vehicle, so the choice was obvious. A 22R powered Toyota 4x4. I was so happy when I managed to find a TURBO 22R Pickup locally for sale.

I put about 6000km on it the first few weeks of owning it. I took it everywhere. Never had a single problem with it. Still don't, drive it daily. Puts a smile on my face every time I get in to it. That's the sign of a good vehicle in my books.
was it that red turbo pickup?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No. I WISH I got that red one! That thing sold in a day, and was in perfect condition.

Mine was a silver one with a very rusty bed. I've since put new sheet metal on the bed, and painted it black. I'm on the waiting list for a FG bed.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:37 PM

Hey, it's my twin.. but yours is sr5 and alot shinier

Last edited by AWorth; 11-27-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by annoyingrob
No. I WISH I got that red one! That thing sold in a day, and was in perfect condition.

Mine was a silver one with a very rusty bed. I've since put new sheet metal on the bed, and painted it black. I'm on the waiting list for a FG bed.
ooh!
yeah i almost went to take a look at that red one.. i kinda wanted the engine lol

hey, if you ever down.. me and a couple other toyota trucks/4runners meet up at tims once a week.. pm me if you interested to come
Old 11-30-2008, 11:13 AM

So i was 16 in 2004. i had a cavalier that i thought was the best thing ever. I was looking at my dad's 89 Toyota Pickup 22re it was having problems with the starter. so i got it started and took it around the block i never drove with out him before so it was a good time do do it. i brought it up to who knows how many rpms and boom it just died. I stopped and opened the hood nothing smoking and no leaks. i got back in the truck and started it up it sounded like marbles but it drove i got back to my house and told my dad. back then i was pretty stupid. my dad was looking for a new 4 door Tacoma anyways. so it sat in the garage for about a month. and i started trying to figure out what was wrong with it. The motor was sound but it blow a rivet off the pressure plate and drug the straps around and around. so i put a new clutch in it and sold my cavalier paid $1500 the truck since then put about another $3000 into it and will never sell it. my girlfriend doesn't understand but when you put your blood sweat and tears into something its yours and when its paid off it helps even more.

Last edited by woodywoodward_123; 11-30-2008 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: a question on reliabilty