Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

question about new shackles + leaf spring bushings

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about new shackles + leaf spring bushings

I just got a set of 4crawler 3" extended shackles for Christmas. I spent a bit of time trying to install them tonight and what a job! I think my truck was used as a salt/plow truck cause the back end of it is rusted all to hell.

I know this has probably been discussed a boatload on here, and I've read a bit I've found with searching, but I need some answers by tomorrow...

Anyways, I got the plates off the shackles, and managed to pound out the upper bolt on the driver's side, but the lower bolts are seized completely to the leaf spring. Now, I mushroomed the bolts pretty bad pounding on them (the nuts were completely destroyed through removing them, had to cut one of them off completely), and so I can't reattach the plate. The leaf springs are hanging off the frame with no nuts holding them. I obviously can't drive around like this, so I'd like to get it fixed right away.

I assume if I heat the spring with a torch I'll probably melt the rubber before I make any headway on the seized bolt, so that option's out (I don't have any new bushings). The new shackle came with new bolts so I can cut it if I can figure out a way to get the bit out of the leaf spring after it's cut (cutting it will be hell too, no sawzall). Anyone have any tips for unseizing these bolts?

I may as well spread the eye on the spring with a screwdriver and pop out the old bushing and install poly bushings - will they slide right in or do I need to pull the spring and press them in? If I have poly bushings sent overnight can I drive around slowly for a day or two?

Am I completely screwed?

Thanks for any hints,

Isaac

edit: Also, how do you get the bushings out of the hanger (on the frame)? Pound at them with a socket and hammer? Any writeups on replacing suspension bushings?

edit 2: Ongoing research = ongoing questions.. if I can get stock bushings for cheap tomorrow, do I really need a press to replace them? How do you install them into the leaf spring?

Last edited by isaac338; 12-26-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:32 PM

burn them out i took a punch and 3lb. sledge. but my truck was a cali baby
Old 12-26-2006, 03:45 PM

Have you tried soaking them in WD-40
Old 12-26-2006, 04:23 PM

i've been spraying them down with wd40 for hours. i don't have any pb blaster or anything better.

to make things worse i just grabbed a 3lb sledge from home and went pounding on the lower bolt to try to budge it, and popped the shackle off the hanger. now the spring is only attached in the front and is just resting on the hanger. since i have to drive a few km to where i can work on the truck, is this going to be a problem? am i risking breaking the hanger?

argh. stupid rust belt!
Old 12-26-2006, 06:52 PM

Kroil. Works great.

vmax84
Old 12-27-2006, 02:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's amazing how rust can make an easy job into a nightmare. You need more cutting tools, try cutting the bolt off with a cutoff wheel on a die grinder or a dremel or a angle grinder. Or get a sawzall or hacksaw. Don't drive it, that connection is all that holds your rear axle and wheels on (talk about a real nightmare)
Old 12-27-2006, 04:39 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

I had to torch all my old stuff off and out.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:16 AM

Well, I bought new bushings from Toyota but they don't look right - they're about half an inch too short, and they're all rubber. Aren't the bushings in the eye of the spring rubber sleeved in metal?

Wabbit, when you torched out the rubber, did you have to press out the metal sleeve?

I'm sort of thinking I should get the right bushings from Toyota (anyone have a part number?) and use a sawzall to cut off the bolt flush with the spring, then burn the rubber out and push it all out with a punch. That leaves the sleeve but I'll wait and see what Wabbit says

Thanks for the help guys

edit: these bushings aren't pressed in, are they? am i going against the current here?!

Last edited by isaac338; 12-27-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by isaac338
Well, I bought new bushings from Toyota but they don't look right - they're about half an inch too short, and they're all rubber. Aren't the bushings in the eye of the spring rubber sleeved in metal?

Wabbit, when you torched out the rubber, did you have to press out the metal sleeve?

I'm sort of thinking I should get the right bushings from Toyota (anyone have a part number?) and use a sawzall to cut off the bolt flush with the spring, then burn the rubber out and push it all out with a punch. That leaves the sleeve but I'll wait and see what Wabbit says

Thanks for the help guys

edit: these bushings aren't pressed in, are they? am i going against the current here?!
I was not reusing the leaf springs so I never bothered with them.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:28 AM

well.. does anyone else know? will the metal sleeve stay in there or should i get it out?

although the bushings i have are half an inch too short i might cut out the bolt, press it out with a c clamp, and put 'em in with the new shackles just so i can drive the damn truck.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:27 PM

In case anyone's following this at all Toyota apparently doesn't sell the bushings that go in the spring eye, and the parts guy says they're unremovable. I'm ordering a set of poly bushings from 4Crawler and hopefully I can find some writeups on how to get the old ones (including the big outer metal sleeve) out of the springs without a press.

Anyone have any hints?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2006, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help guys

My bushings were just rubber/poly. Do you mean a metal sleeve down the center of the bushing or around the outside of the bushing? Or both?

Also, my shackle was not actually a nut and bolt. There was a nut on the inner sides but the outer "bolts" were actually flat headed and welded to the side plate making sort of a U or C shape.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
My bushings were just rubber/poly. Do you mean a metal sleeve down the center of the bushing or around the outside of the bushing? Or both?

Also, my shackle was not actually a nut and bolt. There was a nut on the inner sides but the outer "bolts" were actually flat headed and welded to the side plate making sort of a U or C shape.
Agreed on the shackle design - mine are the same, pressed into one plate and held to the other with a nut. I've pounded out the top bolt (stud) but the bottom one won't budge from the spring.

There seem to be two different kinds of bushings - one like you're talking about, just straight up rubber stuck into the spring, and one with two metal sleeves both surrounding and inside the rubber (one touches the spring, one houses the metal) - if that makes any sense.

If mine has no inner metal sleeve then I can probably get the bolt out without destroying the bushing (more than I have). However, if mine has a metal sleeve, the bolt is probably rusted completely to it so I may as well replace the bushing entirely.

Which one is it? Roger Brown says (over email) I probably have the bushing with metal molded in it, but I'm not positive he's talking about the shackle end of the spring (all the evidence I've found indicates the metal bushings are used in the frame hanger towards the front of the truck).

This is pretty confusing, all of it
Old 12-28-2006, 07:10 AM

hold the frame up with jackstands, then just pound away, when we fixed my shackle hanger(welding) the bushing caught on fire and melted. but i also took a 2ft. stake and pounded it threw the shackle hanger and viola!
Old 12-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

This is pretty confusing, all of it
Well at least you can see it, where are the pics so we can see too?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
This is how I remove those bushings:

Drill out around the center steel sleeve:

Then push out out then use a saw to cut out through the steel sleeve:

And that should relieve the pressure on the sleeve to allow it to be removed (use a chisel or big screwdriver to pry open the spring eye).

Or use a press to push the old bushing/sleeve out:

Then push in new poly bushing halves and sleeve (press in by hand):

and you are done:

Old 12-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like a good way to do it Roger. I might add... be sure and put some silicone grease on the poly bushings before you push them in place.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:09 PM

once again, 4crawler comes through with not only an explanation, but pictures! thanks for that, man.

i've found some local places that stock energy suspension stuff so i'm going to buy a full set of bushings from them (so i can get them quicker), and then i'll let everyone know how it went.

thanks for all the help!

isaac