86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power Window Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Window Motor?

OK. Search yielded a few things...mostly about the window switch.

-------
Passenger front window doesn't work any more. A few weeks ago, the window started moving up slower and slower (went down fine) if the passenger switch was being used to move it. Passenger would say something, and the drivers controls would move the window up at normal speed. This led me to think it is the switch.

Last night, neither switch would roll up the window!
After pulling the panel and inspecting the switch, eveything looked OK. I hooked it back up to see what would happen.... it started moving up at a snails pace. I helped the window along and got it all the way up. Now, neither switch will move the window.
It sounds like the motor is getting some power when I hit the switch at the door -- a little whimper then silence.

I pulled the passenger rear panel, where I know the switch is good. Tried the front switch on the back door -- rolled down, but not up. So the switch IS bad. Next, tried the back switch in the front door. Nothing. Up or down, no movement....same sound, a bit stonger, but no movement.

I'm wondering if the motor just happened to go at the same time as the switch?
I know 4Mogger has had problems with the wiring harness....what are the syptoms of that?
Is there anything else I am missing?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:29 AM

I just let it sit for about an hour. NOW, drivers switch activates window up/ down at regular speed. So does the rear switch. As normal. WTF?

<edit> Now, an hour even later, does nothing.

Sounds like the wiring harness?

Last edited by Funk_Runner; 03-22-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you may have a bad (corroded) ground. Maybe as the metal heats and cools,,(expands / contracts) it does so just enough to create or impede proper grounding.

Just wild guess, but I had a similar problem with my rear window -- work sometimes, sometimes not. I had a piece of weather strip loose on the bottom of the rear gate. Was evidently letting some moisture up into the door and corrode the ground.

Mike in AR
Old 03-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Banned

if the problem was with the harness it would be intermittent--say the window would function normally but then if you opened the door (stretched the harness slightly) the switch would lose contact and stop working. Your problem seems to be either a voltage problem and/or a switch. Start with the cheapest parts and start replacing things. (unless you are not going to keep the rig for a long time)