86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power Steering pump issue HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering pump issue HELP!

Hello, I have a IFS 91 pickup truck with the 3vze, 3" body lift, 3" bj spacers and 35x10 SS (I am pointing the mods out just in case it is neccesary for your recommendation) . Before adding those mods my factory steering pump broke, so I bought a cheap one on ebay, and it is broke too, so I took the truck to a mechanic shop and the guy culd not find one that would work because it would broke almost instantly, so, I would like to know where I could fine one that works fine or if due to my mods I should adapt another one, or which one do you recommend me to use. Thanks a huge lot for your help.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:27 PM

Also, where can I get the distributor for the rear brake lines? I have a tire that breaks a hole lot and it is also leaking Thanks again
Old 08-13-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Please define "steering pump broke" and "it would broke almost instantly"
did it blow fluid all over?
the shaft broke or "would break almost instantly"?
Old 08-13-2018, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by jperalta8
Also, where can I get the distributor for the rear brake lines? I have a tire that breaks a hole lot and it is also leaking Thanks again
Did you mean "brakes a whole lot?" if the axle seal is leaking you should fix that first and replace the oil soaked brake shoes. they pick up brake dust and become very "grabby" when coated with gear lube or brake fluid and you can never clean them enough once they are oil soaked.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:29 PM

Hello, I have a IFS 91 pickup truck with the 3vze, 3" body lift, 3" bj spacers and 35x10 SS (I am pointing the mods out just in case it is neccesary for your recommendation) . Before adding those mods my factory steering pump broke, so I bought a cheap one on ebay, and it is broke too, so I took the truck to a mechanic shop and the guy culd not find one that would work because it would broke almost instantly, so, I would like to know where I could fine one that works fine or if due to my mods I should adapt another one, or which one do you recommend me to use. Thanks a huge lot for your help.
Your modifications should have no effect on the power steering pump. It sounds like you may have an issue with fluid not passing through the system either from a plugged pressure hose or something wrong with the steering box (gear).
I have never seen anything similar happen except with a bad batch of replacement parts. I assume in that case they hired a new guy and he messed up a lot before they mended his ways (this case was with alternators). The parts guy was a friend of mine and he told me later (months after I upgraded to a higher quality part) that after 4 or 5 failures on exactly the same part they seemed to work through the bad batch and all was good from then on.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
Did you mean "brakes a whole lot?" if the axle seal is leaking you should fix that first and replace the oil soaked brake shoes. they pick up brake dust and become very "grabby" when coated with gear lube or brake fluid and you can never clean them enough once they are oil soaked.
I mean that when I slightly step on the brakes there is a rear tire that completely stops instead of a soft stop. My axles are fine, the mechanic found what the issue was, and it is a piece that distributes the brakes fluid between the rear tires. I do not know how the name of the part would be in English, here in DR we called it "repartidor". The thing is that we certainly know because the part is leaking brake fluid and I hoped that somebody could know where I could get that part since I have not found it on eBay.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
Please define "steering pump broke" and "it would broke almost instantly"
did it blow fluid all over?
the shaft broke or "would break almost instantly"?
I mean that the pump stops working and my steering becomes hard to steer
Old 08-14-2018, 08:52 AM

Note that the hoses have been checked and the steering box is OK.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
I mean that when I slightly step on the brakes there is a rear tire that completely stops instead of a soft stop. My axles are fine, the mechanic found what the issue was, and it is a piece that distributes the brakes fluid between the rear tires. I do not know how the name of the part would be in English, here in DR we called it "repartidor". The thing is that we certainly know because the part is leaking brake fluid and I hoped that somebody could know where I could get that part since I have not found it on eBay.
Delivery man,, repartidor. Better translation would be "distribution block".

Doesn't matter what you or I name it, only matters what Toyota named it.

You are maybe talking about the LSPV (load sensitive proportioning valve), this is attached to the frame.

There is a distribution block, splitter, tee connection attached on the axel.

Lspv isn't available.

The other part can be cleaned and remounted, it just joins the three lines no mechanical guts to it.

Alaskans statement still good, you can't be sure it's not just bad/dirty pads untill it's clean and dry, unless you've checked brake line pressure at both brake assembly at which point you want to make sure it's not the lines and need to work your way along the system. Pull it apart clean it up and see if it will hold a seal, then put clean shoes on.

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 08-14-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Note that the hoses have been checked and the steering box is OK.
What are you using for power steering fluid? Most commonly seen failure is the wrong fluid, this system uses ATF (dexron 3, iirc, it's stamped on the older caps.) PS fluid will break them.

Getting a bigger, or different pump is likely to cause issues with the steering box, or some other headache. Look into rebuilding what you have, there are rebuild parts available. If you are determined to upgrade "hydraulic ram assist".
Old 08-14-2018, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Delivery man,, repartidor. Better translation would be "distribution block".

Doesn't matter what you or I name it, only matters what Toyota named it.

You are maybe talking about the LSPV (load sensitive proportioning valve), this is attached to the frame.

There is a distribution block, splitter, tee connection attached on the axel.

Lspv isn't available.

The other part can be cleaned and remounted, it just joins the three lines no mechanical guts to it.

Alaskans statement still good, you can't be sure it's not just bad/dirty pads untill it's clean and dry, unless you've checked brake line pressure at both brake assembly at which point you want to make sure it's not the lines and need to work your way along the system. Pull it apart clean it up and see if it will hold a seal, then put clean shoes on.
So, your rear brakes are fed by ONE line from the LSPV to a TEE ( T fitting )on the rear axle.
If ONE brake is locking up your issue can ONLY be with the TEE being plugged on ONE side or the tubing/slave cylinder (the side that is NOT locking up) or brake shoes on ONE side (either one side is grabby or the other side is not working).
Old 08-14-2018, 06:43 PM

Tha k you for the info very appreciated
Old 08-14-2018, 06:47 PM

What are you using for power steering fluid? Most commonly seen failure is the wrong fluid, this system uses ATF (dexron 3, iirc, it's stamped on the older caps.) PS fluid will break them.

Getting a bigger, or different pump is likely to cause issues with the steering box, or some other headache. Look into rebuilding what you have, there are rebuild parts available. If you are determined to upgrade "hydraulic ram assist".
I will check with the mechanic and ask him what type of fluid he was poring. I am 90% he was using POWER STEERING fluid not AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:48 PM

But are you really sure it uses ATF? Because I always used PSF and it worked fine for many years until the failure on the original pump.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:07 PM

Would it really break my steering box? I was contemplating using the 1650 4.5gpm because I am tired of buying and trying pumps and changing them
Old 08-17-2018, 08:02 AM

Mine was bad when I bought my 91 in the winter. Flushed it with the old pump in place, then replaced it with a ~$30 rebuilt one from Advanced Auto and performed the factory bleeding procedure. No issues. Did you flush and blead IAW the FSM?
Old 08-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
But are you really sure it uses ATF? Because I always used PSF and it worked fine for many years until the failure on the original pump.
Would it really break my steering box? I was contemplating using the 1650 4.5gpm because I am tired of buying and trying pumps and changing them
yes, that is probably why your PS pump died. Did you probably bleed it when it was replaced? air bubbles cause cavitation which is not good for the pump