86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Issue

While having fun in the snow yesterday I lost my power steering. When Im not moving I dont have any ps but once I get moving its much easier to turn the wheels. I checked the fluid and I havent lost any but I noticed it didnt look like the fluid was circulating. Not sure if all of them are like this bump Im thinking the pump took a dump. Before I go out and buy a new pump I wanted to be ask if there was anything simple that goes bad on the ps in a 3VZ and if the fluid is suppose to circulate. Can anyone verify this? Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks all.

BTW its on my 94 3VZ auto 4Runner
Old 02-14-2014, 08:41 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Of course the fluid circulates. That's why it's called a pump.

But I have no idea how you could look at the power steering setup and conclude the fluid is "not circulating." You can't see the fluid in the hoses. What is it that you saw that lead you to that conclusion?

There isn't much to a PS pump; as long as it has fluid, is not leaking, and the pulley is spinning it ought to pump. Unless something major inside just snapped.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
Of course the fluid circulates. That's why it's called a pump.

But I have no idea how you could look at the power steering setup and conclude the fluid is "not circulating." You can't see the fluid in the hoses. What is it that you saw that lead you to that conclusion?

There isn't much to a PS pump; as long as it has fluid, is not leaking, and the pulley is spinning it ought to pump. Unless something major inside just snapped.
you can tell the fluid is circulating when you take the cap off and see movement in the fluid... im not that stupid.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../9descript.pdf

Actually, it's really hard to see fluid moving when at a stand still. Sometimes you can see "bubbles" if you'd just replaced a component but that's about it. Hard to differential what's flowing fluid and what's just moving from the engine vibrations.

Here's something to get you started: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../2troubles.pdf

And the full manual: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/
Old 02-14-2014, 01:38 PM

no hes right you should be able to see some movement or sign of movement when the cap is off mine swirls.. I blew mine out a year ago stuck in thick clay mud I kept turning the wheel back and forth to gain traction I got out but it put to much strain on my poor old pump. even non power steering vehicles are fairly easy to steer once moving 99sr5 your pumps probably not working if its not easy to turn holing still or moving slowly it doesnt have to leak to be shot. I got a pump from a wrecking yard for around $100
Old 02-15-2014, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by courtgordon
no hes right you should be able to see some movement or sign of movement when the cap is off mine swirls.. I blew mine out a year ago stuck in thick clay mud I kept turning the wheel back and forth to gain traction I got out but it put to much strain on my poor old pump. even non power steering vehicles are fairly easy to steer once moving 99sr5 your pumps probably not working if its not easy to turn holing still or moving slowly it doesnt have to leak to be shot. I got a pump from a wrecking yard for around $100
yeah thats what i figured. oh well I got a reman one from auto zone for about $50 with a core. im gonna try to install it today lol too much damn snow out!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:13 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Movement in the reservoir means nothing. Unless the fluid isnt spraying out of somewhere you wont see anything that can help you determine if the pump is pumping or not.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:17 AM

I can definetly tell that my fluid is moving. its muddy color swirling around and when I shut truck off it all bubbles out the res. we flushed the system last night put in atf and a bottle of lucas. but cant seem to get all the air out. I'm gonna take the res off and clean the screen see if that won't help. I really dont want to drop 200 on new pump. I would guess on his that if it hards to turn and possibly whinning before jumping in on changing out ps pump id make sure theres fluid to the steering case by loosing the high pressure line. just to be sure of no clogs in the system.