Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Post your best road trip with your 22re! (Pics welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post your best road trip with your 22re! (Pics welcome)

Came across this guy's website about the trips he's taken in his 2wd '85 toyota around the country;

http://www.delsjourney.com/close-ups...yota_truck.htm

Got me thinking lately of taking my '87 on a series of roadtrips with my gal and it got me curious about what is some serious driving with a 22re rig is gonna be like. Wonder how she'll just keep running on and off road when put through her paces? Well...?
Old 11-01-2010, 01:09 PM

Well, it's not my truck, more a family truck, which now belong's to my brother. I drove his '94 22RE xtra cab 2wd from college once. 400 miles from Farmington, New Mexico, to Lafayette, Colorado. It made me realize one thing: Dang I like my V6.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Just got back from the maze district of Canyonlands with my fo'runner. 4 people loaded with backpacking gear, 15 gallons of water, 10 gals of extra gas. It did great, especially on the gas mileage - 20 for the WHOLE TRIP including the wheeling sections. I have no desire for a bigger engine. The only thing I can say is get used to 4500 rpms in third if you wanna climb mountain passes at a decent speed... I actually had to drop to 2nd on I70 coming up Vail pass but I had five people in there on the ride back.

I did this all on 33's/4.10's too... Putting in 4.88's tomorrow so hopefully I won't need that second gear on the highway ever again. And a bit slower of a low range will certainly be welcome.

I think you'll like it though as long as you don't need gobs of power on the interstate. Especially the mpgs - I can get 24 on a tank if I keep it all highway and under 65mph.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 PM

hey tumor how do you like that softopper? I'm in the market for one right now... How long have you had it?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drove to Erie PA and back (7.5 hours each way) she did good. Averaged about 21mpg's
Old 11-01-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by andykrow
hey tumor how do you like that softopper? I'm in the market for one right now... How long have you had it?
Love it. Have had it for a little over a year now, didn't even waterproof it with the spray on water proofing stuff when I got it and it still doesn't leak. We just had a bunch of rain here and I have a bunch of bone dry firewood and parts in the bed...not a drop. Was worried when I first got it on the freeway not holding up, but I've done 85mph with it... no prob. here's my short thread on it...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...pickup-186796/

They do make on for runners which I can only assume is equally kickass. Only thing is you can't really strap anything to the top of it, like a canback. But I got mine for 250 bucks, a canback is almost 5 times that much, last time I checked.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
My best road trip in a LONG time would have to have been my recent trip to the Sierras. I think it was most memorable, relating to 'good times in my rig', because this time, I'VE DONE SO MUCH WORK TO IT, MYSELF! LOL. .....

Had to stop in this Motel on the way..... TOO tired to go finding a setting up a site at 11pm, lol..........

The view from the room...........

Did a lil minor wheeling while looking for a day spot the first day...(both lower ball joints are pretty much history, sorry guys, lol)...

Got my favorite spot at Baker Creek, Sierras, just south of Keough Hot Springs(5 min)...

Unloaded SOME of the gear(i have TONS, lol)...

My view from the back of my Truck(my tent, lol)

The road to the site from 395Hwy....

Some more shots from the site surroundings....

Guy stopped by in his 27 Studebaker Sedan(for sale 6000$)

Wheeling down to the springs......(and the springs)

Unfortunately, leaving home..........

Owens dry lake and Dirty Sock Warm spring(it's DESTROYED, so ticked.... maybe they're draining it for repair.... but I doubt it...very sad)

My friend and I found a nice quiet girl....... she was too much for the both of us put together! lol.....

More pics of the trip...........

Me, just chillax'n....

Our Section of Baker Creek, just 5 Feet from both sides of my Truck/Sleeping quarters.... so soothing!....

Our Camping Neighbors Pup, Half Aussie Sheppard-Half Healer I believe....REALLY funny dog, quite a beggar, ... The owner was an Employee(Chris) whom I promised not to mention the last name of, lol...

If you look at around 10o'clock center, I accidentally got a bat in the shot while at the Hot Springs at night....

Right outside my Tent, built a web over the creek to catch all them BASTAGE GNATS! LOL..

Tons of Blue Breasted Quail.... and yes, it was Hunting Season... lots of guys in the outskirts gettin some!....

Tons of Fish! .....

DANG I hate these Horse/Cattle Flies.... REALLY HURT, lol....

Lil 40* shower, BRRRRRRRRR! LOL....

Lil visitor, kept walking over my shoes.....

Heading home, first stopped at our old camping spot, Dirty Sock Warm Spring.... it was TERRIBLY neglected.... not sure if it'll ever be restored. It was a total oasis, with Stables, changing rooms, lights, fountains, in the 60's.... Has a great view of The tallest section of the Sierras, Mt. Whitney.... and if you can see just left of center, "Indian Profile Peak"(it's a face of an Indian, lying down on his back with his arms crossed over his chest...

Still heading home, around Red Rock Canyon, CA.....

That's it, hope to do it again in the winter, SOON! lol...
Old 11-01-2010, 09:01 PM

that looked like a super good mellow trip. I gotta do a tirp like that at some point in my life.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:09 AM

Hey Whitebread,

Well, I am a Human Atlas, lol. Jk, but actually, depending on where you are, I KNOW I could help you plan out a great trip for the least cabbage possible! lol. BTw, it WAS, indeed, a super mellow trip! SO freaky peaceful out there, it's honestly AWE inspiring, ..... pretty majestic!

Hope you get to take one soon,

Mark
Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 AM

awesome trip! thanks for sharing Chef!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:08 AM

My pleasure, Pholife! It was and always is a GREAT trip! Probably my favorite place to travel, .... the 'HIGH SIERRAS'! IT'S MAJESTIC, TO SAY THE LEAST!

Wow, forgot how many pics I posted! lol.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:39 PM

Nice pics chef! I would love to go on a long trip like that someday in my pickup but probably not with its current motor. Maybe after I swap it out.