Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

popup sunroof cover

Old 06-08-2012, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have some creative skills my friend!! Sucks that people stole a custom made sunroof cover!! You should make a few more and sell the extras in the classifieds. Good
Luck to ya!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is my version.....LOL.....just wanted to bust your thread.....

Old 06-09-2012, 07:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wish I had a sunroof in my pickup to make a custom cover for..

Looks great though!

Sorry you got ripped off.. those are some oddly specific items to take.. maybe they owned a Toyota and needed those things?
Old 06-09-2012, 08:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Crimson Yota
Wish I had a sunroof in my pickup to make a custom cover for..

Looks great though!

Sorry you got ripped off.. those are some oddly specific items to take.. maybe they owned a Toyota and needed those things?
I'm sure whoever did it has been doing it for awhile. It was quick and easy, they even kept the screws that hold on console lid. Probably were done before I even finished walking to my destination. I'll hit the bone yard today and also get the new cover going. Will post up later as things come together.

Last edited by ksti; 06-09-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! lol.... Still mad about this. VERY grateful it wasn't worse... but wow, grrr! lol.

Took the screws, well I'll be..... Seriously, they must have a cataloged good bit in their head, ready for whatever parks there, to weigh out the risk, etc., "Ok, Jesse needs a Nissan Sentra Dashcover.... John needs a shifter handle from a Corolla........"........ It's like "let's see who parks there, today " Argg! lol.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:38 AM

BTW, there ARE Rings here in L.A...... that FOLLOW YOU AROUND, WAITING FOR YOU TO PARK! I've had guys follow me, 3 different locations, then I ran up to their car and they drove off. One time, the punk arse in the passenger seat had the nerve to say, "What? Just how it is, holmes.... Nice truck eh?".... I called the cops, cuz they had LOTS of tools in there, just strewn around in the back... But they left before they showed up. I call right in front of scumbag OBVIOUS thieves like that.... I even found a tweaker UNDER MY RIG in the mountains one day... I ran up, said, "Don't move, pal... I'm locked and loaded." He went on to tell me, from under the truck, ..."DUDE, this looks great, what kinda exhaust is this?".... FREAKIN CAT THIEF! lol. I told him, "The kind that gets tweakers like you on your back in the dirt, under a strangers rig, about to get shot!" lol. THEY DID arrest him, know why? Cuz he HAD A MINI-HACK SAW near him, he'd tried to throw, and he'd actually JUST had started to score the metal when I walked up. I didn't even hear that... He must have wrapped the shirt in his hand around it to quiet it(never thought of that!).

Anyway, I'M STILL ticked off for ya, ... BUT GLAD you're a creative guy that planned ahead and had more stuff layin around! lol

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-09-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
BTW, there ARE Rings here in L.A...... that FOLLOW YOU AROUND, WAITING FOR YOU TO PARK! I've had guys follow me, 3 different locations, then I ran up to their car and they drove off. One time, the punk arse in the passenger seat had the nerve to say, "What? Just how it is, holmes.... Nice truck eh?".... I called the cops, cuz they had LOTS of tools in there, just strewn around in the back... But they left before they showed up. I call right in front of scumbag OBVIOUS thieves like that.... I even found a tweaker UNDER MY RIG in the mountains one day... I ran up, said, "Don't move, pal... I'm locked and loaded." He went on to tell me, from under the truck, ..."DUDE, this looks great, what kinda exhaust is this?".... FREAKIN CAT THIEF! lol. I told him, "The kind that gets tweakers like you on your back in the dirt, under a strangers rig, about to get shot!" lol. THEY DID arrest him, know why? Cuz he HAD A MINI-HACK SAW near him, he'd tried to throw, and he'd actually JUST had started to score the metal when I walked up. I didn't even hear that... He must have wrapped the shirt in his hand around it to quiet it(never thought of that!).

Anyway, I'M STILL ticked off for ya, ... BUT GLAD you're a creative guy that planned ahead and had more stuff layin around! lol
Caught! in the act I love it, he needs some rough Justice! Back in 1985 a burglar ring invaded my neighborhood got in my house while my wife and I were asleep (Hot Prowl) took the keys to my new truck with 2 dirt bikes in it. They were busted a year later in AZ. The dectective said we were lucky as they were charged also with aggravative assault against some of the victims.
That whole thing changed my life forever. Don't want steer off course. Absolutley no luck at the bone yard. So I stoped at my toyota buddie's house and he dug up a top cover and gave it to me. Its trashed and missing top hindge and all hardware. Has black viynl cover, will need to re-cover. Don't want to paint it. I'll post some pic's down the road as I complete search for all parts.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you should feel pretty special, they broke into your pickup to take your homemade sunroof cover lol
Old 06-10-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thieves are scumbags period! glad it was not worse.
good luck gettin it back together.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by dirtdobberoffroad
Here is my version.....LOL.....just wanted to bust your thread.....

Looks like an escape hatch on a submarine. LOL
Old 06-16-2012, 02:16 PM

Update, got the rest of parts for console box lids. Found a guy on craigslist that would sell me console box only, but he lost the hardware for it except for two plastic pieces you see in pic. Just have to make it work. Will post pic when finished with console lid. Everybody else would only sell console complete and there not cheap and also hard to find. I lucked out. Also got a spare dizzy and TPS. Still working on cover for sunroof, made a few mods. I used a thicker piece of steel to keep it from sagging or warping from the sun. The old one was starting to bow a little. Steel strap was a little to thin, to flexible. Used some smoked chrome aluminum for tabs. The fit will be much better. Also will use a new pin lock assembly, will have to modify it to fit properly. Cover probably won't come out as good as first one. I'm only going to post a few pics as assembly is basically same as first one.

Name:  IMG00149.jpg
Views: 2628
Size:  105.2 KB

Name:  IMG00152.jpg
Views: 2493
Size:  75.9 KB
Old 06-18-2012, 04:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ksti
Looks like an escape hatch on a submarine. LOL

LOL...it might be used that way someday....

And KSTI good find! Hope the new one turns out great!

Last edited by dirtdobberoffroad; 06-18-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by dirtdobberoffroad
LOL...it might be used that way someday....

And KSTI good find! Hope the new one turns out great!
Thanks man, appreciate it. Need to finish and move on to next project.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:15 PM

Finished re-make of sunroof cover finally. Didn't come out as good as the first one, but will keep hot sun out. Stuck with original push/pull pin lock as other one I wanted to use was just too big and a pain to try and modify. Glad its done. Now I think I'll put on my NRA stickers and my easy rider rifle rack LOL! maybe it will help to avoid future rip offs.

Name:  IMG00166.jpg
Views: 2601
Size:  161.8 KB

Name:  IMG00168.jpg
Views: 2496
Size:  86.2 KB
Old 06-23-2012, 10:36 PM

Great work, updates, progress, man! I stole this idea(half arsed, lol) while in Havasu.... The bouncing off road kept knocking the spacers I use to keep the thing from rattling onto our faces/laps, etc., hahaha.... So, I told my nephew, "Hand me the scissors in the glove... I'ma do me a "Spider Monkey Mod"(I SHIP YOU NOT! hahaha)...." ... He asked me, "what the heck is that?" hehehe... I told him, "Well, there's this talking spider monkey that can speak a few words and he's actually working on one of these trucks with the owner....You know, handing him tools that he's taught him the name off, etc..... Well, one day, the owner walked out and the monkey had pulled the sunroof cover off... THE GUY WAS TICKED! BUT, then he came around to see that the monkey was pushing the sun visor up there to try and block the sun, and telling him, 'SEEEEEEEEE?'.... And then IT HIT HIM! 'I'm going to make a reflective spacer/pad to go between the glass and my cover... THANKS, MONKEY!'....... And thus, it became known as 'The Spider Monkey Mod' "............. He looked at me, thought for 5 seconds or so, ....then said, "Wait, WHAT?" hahahahahha.......... I was CRYING, man! I forgot all about that, to tell you, etc. I'm laughing so hard right now my face hurts. In fact, every time I see that Monkey I crack up, brudda! GREAT ID Photo!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, I DID then take the scissors and cut it out.... We were in havasu, so I worked quickly and did a crappy job with some extra 99C store visors I had... I told him to feel it before I put that there..... "OUCH", hahaha.. YEP, 118*F sun gets things hot! hahaha... And then about 10 minutes after installing that,... HE COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! And then, I AM NOT KIDDING, he said, "That's one smart arse monkey!" hahahahahahaha. .....He's 12, and he knew I was kidding by that point due to my laughter.... But I just crack up every time that lil guy pops in my head now, or any time I look up at my visor! (Picturing a monkey in some guys cab, just working on the Yota with him! rofl!!! )

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-23-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Great work, updates, progress, man! I stole this idea(half arsed, lol) while in Havasu.... The bouncing off road kept knocking the spacers I use to keep the thing from rattling onto our faces/laps, etc., hahaha.... So, I told my nephew, "Hand me the scissors in the glove... I'ma do me a "Spider Monkey Mod"(I SHIP YOU NOT! hahaha)...." ... He asked me, "what the heck is that?" hehehe... I told him, "Well, there's this talking spider monkey that can speak a few words and he's actually working on one of these trucks with the owner....You know, handing him tools that he's taught him the name off, etc..... Well, one day, the owner walked out and the monkey had pulled the sunroof cover off... THE GUY WAS TICKED! BUT, then he came around to see that the monkey was pushing the sun visor up there to try and block the sun, and telling him, 'SEEEEEEEEE?'.... And then IT HIT HIM! 'I'm going to make a reflective spacer/pad to go between the glass and my cover... THANKS, MONKEY!'....... And thus, it became known as 'The Spider Monkey Mod' "............. He looked at me, thought for 5 seconds or so, ....then said, "Wait, WHAT?" hahahahahha.......... I was CRYING, man! I forgot all about that, to tell you, etc. I'm laughing so hard right now my face hurts. In fact, every time I see that Monkey I crack up, brudda! GREAT ID Photo!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, I DID then take the scissors and cut it out.... We were in havasu, so I worked quickly and did a crappy job with some extra 99C store visors I had... I told him to feel it before I put that there..... "OUCH", hahaha.. YEP, 118*F sun gets things hot! hahaha... And then about 10 minutes after installing that,... HE COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! And then, I AM NOT KIDDING, he said, "That's one smart arse monkey!" hahahahahahaha. .....He's 12, and he knew I was kidding by that point due to my laughter.... But I just crack up every time that lil guy pops in my head now, or any time I look up at my visor! (Picturing a monkey in some guys cab, just working on the Yota with him! rofl!!! )
Now I'm cracking up "The Spider monkey mod" That's CLASSIC Mark. I think their should be stock options and royalties for you. lol Good one dude.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:47 PM

I finished the console lid and installed it. Came out better than I thought. Covered the lid with same material as sunroof cover inner side.
Name:  IMG00171.jpg
Views: 2569
Size:  75.0 KB

Name:  IMG00169.jpg
Views: 2516
Size:  134.0 KB
Old 02-03-2013, 03:58 PM

Well it's been about 8 months since I made the second cover.
I removed it today because it started to rattle.
I thinking because of the mostly the hard sun beating on it and then some colder weather recently that it's starting to bow.

So I'm going to remove reflective material (sun shade) and add 3 pieces of 1/8 thick steel at top, middle and bottom and end to end.
This should stop it from warping/bowing at least that's the theory, will see.

Name:  IMG00266_2_zps761de53f.jpg
Views: 2567
Size:  220.4 KB

Name:  IMG00267_2_zps25d37ac3.jpg
Views: 2536
Size:  157.2 KB
Old 05-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old man pants

Had to share my take. Old man pants and two layers of heavy duty cardboard did the job good. And I have two usable ceiling pockets!

btw . . . no offense if you own said pants.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by jtravis
Had to share my take. Old man pants and two layers of heavy duty cardboard did the job good. And I have two usable ceiling pockets!

btw . . . no offense if you own said pants.

Lets say those were my pants, how did you get them?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: popup sunroof cover