Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pizza Cutters...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
The looks argument is too subjective - IMHO, the tires even with the body lines looks best. Having them stick out (much at all) just makes me think "rollerskate".

All the arguments about wider tires having increased performance offroad (in any condition other than soft sand and some kinds of mud) are bogus.

Belize - how about hitting that berm just the same, then turning the wheels to prove there's no rubbing. Because I'm willing to bet there is ...
WHAT ARE U GUYS FREAKIN OUT ABOUT!!!!SERIOUSLY!!!
Besides fat ir skinny....if they aint rubbin they aint big enough, daaaang!lol...
Old 01-30-2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ddc_5114
WHAT ARE U GUYS FREAKIN OUT ABOUT!!!!SERIOUSLY!!!
Besides fat ir skinny....if they aint rubbin they aint big enough, daaaang!lol...
Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by n16ht5
I like the belize runner. it looks pretty cool.

wide is better for deep stuff (snow)

skinny is good for anything thats less than 1 ft deep

ive got the experience to know. my 85 could go way further on 12.5 wide tires than 10.5 in deep stuff, in the shallow the 10.5s did fine though
your crazy if you think wider tires are better in the snow. "pizza cutters" out perform any wide tire in snow and mud, especially snow. why do you think these guys with huge ass bog trucks run skinny ass tractor tires? i live in new england, trust me when i say i went NOWHERE in the snow with my 12.50's which i hated. now i run 34x10.5's and i love the look and the performance. like previously stated everybody who likes wide tires only likes the look. i prefer performance over how my truck looks to everyone else.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know of an area where wide tires to serve their purpose. On sand "mountains". Dunes like those at Pismo pizzas are great. I attended Superstition 10 a few weeks ago. Two times I simply could not get up a section with my 31X10.5's. Another guy with a locked Cherokee couldn't do it either with 33X10.5's. I got to watch a lot of mostly Jeeps with different tire sizes and it was clear. On a steep sand mountain or even coming of the trail in for low on a sandy grade, the trucks with narrow tires were taking a tow strap left and right. However, those with wide tires could stop, make tight turns, start back up again all on this steep silty sandy super dune. In that circumstance, you have to float on it or you just can't make it.

That said I'm getting the 33X10.5's. I do like the wide tire look but don't want to deal with the clearance issues. I'm Ok with not having and extreme sand machine as I'm Ok with not having an extreme rock crawler.

As for steering, lockers break steering more than lift and wide tires. I ran 33X12.5's on 3.75" back spacing with a Truetrac in the front for like 7+ years and never had one steering issue. I had the Downey idler arm brace.

Frank
Old 01-31-2008, 05:30 PM
tc
Contributing Member

n16ht5 ... what in the hell does your experience with a Bronco II have to do with a Toyota truck?

Steering? TOTALLY different

Suspension? TOTALLY different

As a matter of fact ... just about EVERYTHING is totally different...
Old 02-01-2008, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by tc
n16ht5 ... what in the hell does your experience with a Bronco II have to do with a Toyota truck?

Steering? TOTALLY different

Suspension? TOTALLY different

As a matter of fact ... just about EVERYTHING is totally different...

dont have pictures of my old toyota or any of my friends toyotas anymore with wide tires

whatever Im done... i think Ill go to back to pirate...
Old 02-01-2008, 06:22 AM
tc
Contributing Member

good riddance - maybe you can send someone over here who actually knows WTF they're talking about
Old 02-01-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Mmmmmm......pizza, pizza

Old 02-01-2008, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
LOfreakingL. This thread is HILARIOUS. I just read every single post and I NEVER do that.

AxleIke and TC know what they're talking about. Listen to them. They have TONS of experience. Over to UY i go....
Old 02-01-2008, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by traben27
LOfreakingL. This thread is HILARIOUS. I just read every single post and I NEVER do that.

AxleIke and TC know what they're talking about. Listen to them. They have TONS of experience. Over to UY i go....
Yep.... I hear ya.

Frank
Old 02-01-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by tc
good riddance - maybe you can send someone over here who actually knows WTF they're talking about
Good Luck.

We need to have this discussion over the only good Fat Tire out there:

Old 02-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Though this thread got hijacked and derailed, I'm glad that this was all laid out and debated. I currently have 12.50's on my truck, but after reading and looking at the photos, I'm really looking into 10.50 or 11.50's for my next set. As it sits right now, my 12.50's stick out about 1.5 inches pass the flares and I'd really like to just remove those as they are cracked and worn anyways. Seeing that I'll benefit better for what I do with narrower tires, I'll just need to figure out the right backspacing to keep the tires inside the fenders. Half tempted to take the bracket lift off as well and do a mild body lift, though my cv angles are fine, so I think it might be more work than needed.

Last edited by EWAYota; 02-01-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

I like skinny chicks! but they get cold easy.

I am very poor at figuring out p-metric sizes. For a 15 inch rim, what p-metric would be equivelent to a 33X10.5? Anyone know off the top of their head?

The other thing i was thinking about is the inherent difference between p-metric and flotation. Can you air down a tall skinny p-metric. Makes me sound like a noob, butI have only ever ran flotations on all the rigs I have owned never paying much attention to p-metrics
Old 02-02-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by flyfishexpert
Good Luck.

We need to have this discussion over the only good Fat Tire out there:

That tire will get you through anything. Sometimes more than just the steering gets broken, though......
Old 02-02-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dlbrunner

I am very poor at figuring out p-metric sizes. For a 15 inch rim, what p-metric would be equivelent to a 33X10.5? Anyone know off the top of their head?

The other thing i was thinking about is the inherent difference between p-metric and flotation. Can you air down a tall skinny p-metric. Makes me sound like a noob, butI have only ever ran flotations on all the rigs I have owned never paying much attention to p-metrics
Here are a couple resources for you Duncan.
http://www.expeditionswest.com/resea...tion_rev1.html
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...bfg_mt_km.html

Cheers,
Mike
Old 02-02-2008, 12:09 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Originally Posted by dlbrunner

31x10.50 is like a 275/70/50 i think. Its something close to that. Maybe 285? In that range, let me know I am way off I just put some Yokohama on mine and when the shop was doing the metrics thats what they told me.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:02 PM

i like the look of skinny tires a lot. i love the look of long travel so until i get real long travel, skinny tires with wheel spacers is my preference. i got no good pics but yesterday i went through a lot of snow with my 10.5's.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:26 PM

ohman, if I had mondo lift and looooong straight axles front and back i'd run TRACTOR wheels and tires (the big back ones, not the little teeny front ones). I'm right there with you.

but since I have IFS i'm stickin with my "i like to throw as much sand as possible" baja tires with an acre of contact patch
Old 03-06-2008, 01:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Land Rover Camel Trophy in the Amazon. No one is using fat tires here in mud the likes of which I've never seen. I think this pretty much proves that pizza cutters are more than adequate in mud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r91CtE6xHQ8&NR=1
Old 03-06-2008, 06:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
The looks argument is too subjective - IMHO, the tires even with the body lines looks best. Having them stick out (much at all) just makes me think "rollerskate".
Ha... You're exactly right. And my truck, with 12.50 wide
and crazy neg. offset wheels, would prove your point.

However, the type of stuff I get into is either hard packed
trails or nasty thick, deep, creek beds/ 'mud holes.'
I find that I have a very good tire size for what I do.

Put it this way, since my lift/tires, I've never been stuck
or broken. And do some solid moderate wheeling.

Quick Reply: Pizza Cutters...