86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Over heating!!!! Need some Perspecitive

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over heating!!!! Need some Perspecitive

90 t4r 4x4 3.0
226,xxx and counting

Okay well like the title says my runner is over heating pretty bad. I've never actually let it boil over but it gets close, needs some Ideas on how to find main issue.

Okay so it doesn't over heat when driving at good speeds for extended periods of time. But if I drive on the streets with the stop and go it will eventually start to heat up pretty quick! Once I get on the highway the temp will go back down, I do have to run the heater and more often as of late. Now when I get a really high temp when I shut down and let it sit I watch the Anti Freeze piss out of what I would say is the back of the block in (3) different areas. I can only pin point one the rest I can't find mainly cause it doesn't always leak just when its hot outside. It won't leak over night and it doesn't leak after short trips here and there. Area (1) is just under the passenger door by what I think is an oil cooler. Area (2) passanger side behind block somewhere?? Area (3) driver side just above exhaust pipe right at the fire wall.

My Radiator is in need of replacing but its been this way since I got it 3yrs ago. The hoses up front look good and honestly look rather new.

Water pump,timing belt, thermostat, and all belts have been changed about 1500 miles or so ago. Head Gasket recall has been done not sure when though. No white smoke, and Idle seems to be unchanged at 1000 rpm.

Any ideas????
Thanks in advance!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:17 PM

how's the fan clutch?
Old 11-01-2010, 01:22 PM

From what I can tell its fine but after reading some of the threads I planned on replacing it and the radiator anyway. Would this cause the leaks to rear of the block?
Old 11-01-2010, 01:45 PM

I'm not familiar with the 3.0 but a 22re has an "intermediate" coolant hose sort of hidden underneath that a lot of people don't check too often. Maybe the v6 has something similar?

Often as well when you shut off your motor coolant temp rises (since it's not circulating) and increases pressure causing leaks where they wouldn't ordinarily be.

So the fan clutch wouldn't directly cause the leak but could be causing the overheating. If I remember right it should be pretty easy to turn when the engine is cold but get a lot more resistance when it's hot.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:50 PM

Okay I get it I'll take a look back there when I get home also will check the fan clutch. Should I wait til it cools to turn the fan blade and am I just looking for some resistance as bad thing ??

Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 PM

IIRC it's more a problem if it doesn't have resistance when it's hot. Then the fan won't spin fast enough to draw air at low speed. At freeway speed the air from just driving is enough to cool you down. Maybe also take the rad out and flush it backwards before you buy a new one.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:16 PM

I mounted my fan blades backwards one time and had similar problems. Make sure fan is blowing air onto the engine through radiator and not sucking air away forward toward the radiator.

I don't know if the V-6 is any different, but on the 22re it's possible to mount the fan backwards.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 4g63rotary
Okay I get it I'll take a look back there when I get home also will check the fan clutch. Should I wait til it cools to turn the fan blade and am I just looking for some resistance as bad thing ??

Thanks for the advice!
Fan clutch testing:
- http://www.barneymc.com/toy_root/techneek/fan_clch.htm
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
1. Take the hood OFF (4 bolts, piece of cake)
2. Using LOOOOONG handle needlenose pliers, remove the two quick clips from the upside-down U-shaped hose immediately behind & slightly under the rear of the plenum.
3. Check it thoroughly for any leaks. You can do this with the hood off before you remove it, would probably be easier.
4. I can't imagine what would be leaking WATER/COOLANT under the passenger door; that's where the fuel filter is located.
5. Check your heater hoses while you're checking; they are right at the firewall.
6. The driver side leak above the exhaust pipe might be one of the lines running through the Throttle Body (I think that's a valve to let the TB know the engine is sufficiently heated).
Old 11-02-2010, 08:19 AM

Thanks 4Crawler for the read after looking at the Radiator last night I've decided this has to be one of my main problems. Also after reading many of the posts on that link I think my fan clutch may be in need of some attention!
TNRabbit Thanks for the info I'm going to park the runner this weekend and go down your list. If it gets angry again I'll take pictures to give you guys a good Idea of whats going on!

Thanks A lot guys your info is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-02-2010, 01:56 PM

Got Pics!

Okay here is what happens when the runner is upset!

Where one of the leaks is.

How my shot radiator looks
Old 11-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

That's an aftermarket cooler~
Old 11-02-2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit

So I assume its not supposed to be there? Please forgive my ignorance learning as I go!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:37 PM

Replace those radiators and all connecting hoses along with the thermostat. If you have a leak, a low amount of coolant will cause your cooling system to not function properly. I suggest you flush the whole system out prior to this also.
Check to make sure that your fan is operating properly. If not replace it.
I have been planning to put a pair of electric fans on mine, since I do a lot of slow driving around ranch property and the stock fan just won't cut it to keep that thing running nice and cool at slow speeds, since the stock fan is spins at a slow speed at the low rps we are turning, in addition to moving more air at slow speeds, it will be easier to get in and fix a broken belt with a slim fan on your radiator.
This might help you out if you are working your engine harder than it was supposed to with larger tires, bumpers, etc. If you do this, you must also take into consideration that this will be adding an additional load to your electrical system and if your charge system is not up to par or you are running a lot of accessories you may have to upgrade it to handle the additional load.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4g63rotary
So I assume its not supposed to be there? Please forgive my ignorance learning as I go!
It LOOKS like a transmission cooler....???
Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM

It LOOKS like a transmission cooler....???
Welp that sucker is leaking the worst of all. Maybe bad Oring or something I'll have to check it all out this weekend.

I've read that after market electric fans suck on the 3vz I would much rather have one of those but my knowledge is limited.

Thanks

Guys
Old 11-08-2010, 07:32 PM

So I started taking things apart and I found that all the hoses "appear to be good" this includes heater hoses. So Im going to take a wild stab in the dark and say that the cooling system needs to be flushed. And I have a sneaking suspicion that the HG is about to go, I can only attribute this assumption from noticing a little bit of drip on the side of the block. We'll see either way Its got 226,xxx miles on it so I can't complain!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:09 AM

4g: did you fix the coolant leak? reason i ask is- i had a PITA problem similar to yours... it didn't get hot- just kept running low on coolant. i was dreading the head gasket issue!!!! turns out the intake bolts were loose causing leaks at driver side rear of head/manifold passage and front passenger side/head passage. I KNOW i torqued them bolts properly, but somehow they were loose, causing intake gaskets to fail! a pressure test confirmed it. i replaced hoses, clamps, etc on throttle body, heater, back of engine, all of that. new gaskets were installed with EXTRA FIPG and a little more torque on intake bolts(not more than short rachet can apply). been over a month with no issues.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope that's the factory transfer case cooler (ATF). The A340H uses ATF in both the auto tranny and the transfer case.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 PM

Kooolr - its funny that you ask now cause I was just getting ready to pick up a new radiator and hoses I've gotten very side tracked with playing with add ons for this thing I almost forgot to do it lol. I'll double check those intake bolts for sure thanks!

MT_Goat - thanks for clearing that up! Hey should I keep this if I'm going manual?? I doubt it but I guess its best to ask.

Quick Reply: Over heating!!!! Need some Perspecitive