Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

options to enlarge manual rear window?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
options to enlarge manual rear window?

anyone have suggestions on whether a project to enlarge the manual (sliding) rear window in my 95 PU would have any chance of success? i assume (haven't had it off yet) that the frame can be unscrewed, then perhaps cut slits in the sides, extend the tracks, and then the glass might go further out. this is to more easily crawl through to get to/from the topper, if need be.

overall it sounds like a losing proposition but i did want to ask just in case anyone's done it.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

18 views and no suggestions. i take it, this is a bit of an unexplored mod for a reason :pat:
Old 03-03-2006, 03:31 PM

I read your post but did not understand what you were describing. Frame? what frame do you mean? cut slits in sides of what? exte4nd what tracks?
I unbderstand the idea, but your descriptions are vague and hard to ubderstand

apparently I cant type today either..
Old 03-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

I get what you are saying...but I'm not sure the cost and hassle of doing it would be worth it in the end... I think it could be done... but I dunno. I never really thought about it. I've always been small enough to slide through them stock...
Old 03-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by trythis
I read your post but did not understand what you were describing. Frame? what frame do you mean? cut slits in sides of what? exte4nd what tracks?
sorry. the idea here is that the manual-open window in the back of the cab of my pickup isn't as wide as i'd like it to be. "frame" is the aluminum frame that is visible from within the cab. i was guessing that if one were really interested in changing things, the frame could be removed temporarily, have a couple of slits cut into it to allow the glass to slide further apart (currently it's limited by the curve of that frame, among other things). i think it *would* work, but could have some unforeseen side-effects. sorry if i wasn't being very clear.

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
I've always been small enough to slide through them stock...
i can slide through it too -- and even through the smaller one for the topper... but i'd like to enlarge that one as well, haha. i just wanted to make it easier.

Last edited by photoleif; 03-03-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:15 PM

it would be cool if you could make it come down like a 4runner rear hatch can hehe
Old 03-04-2006, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by photoleif
sorry. the idea here is that the manual-open window in the back of the cab of my pickup isn't as wide as i'd like it to be. "frame" is the aluminum frame that is visible from within the cab. i was guessing that if one were really interested in changing things, the frame could be removed temporarily, have a couple of slits cut into it to allow the glass to slide further apart (currently it's limited by the curve of that frame, among other things). i think it *would* work, but could have some unforeseen side-effects. sorry if i wasn't being very clear.
I think that's the real probem...cutting into the frame opens a whole can of worms, because if it's not resealed correctly, or if you can't reseal it, well, you can imagine the headache that would be. I totally get what your idea about "cutting slits" is, but again, sealing it might be a real bummer. What about (if you're really serious about trying this) locating a "junkyard" Toy rear window, and using that as a guinea pig (so to speak) to test the theory...that way if it doesn't work, you havn't screwed up your actual window, and you haven't cost your self a ton of money? Good luck whatever you decide! And if you do decide to try it, keep us posted!
Old 03-04-2006, 05:48 AM

If you wanted to get really creative you could just remove the rear window completely and come up with some sort of flexible seal to connect the cab to the topper permanently.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:00 AM

I get what he wants to acomplish here, and I think it can be done. The frames are generally connected together with rivets [2 piece]. I remember when the back windows were two piece [actually four piece] and the pieces slid different directions, making the hole opening bigger than they are now days. If you manage to get it apart, I'd suggest taking it to a glass shop and having them cut new glass for it.

Try to picture the rear slider as two slider doors for a house, but connected in one frame assembly. One door goes left, one door goes right
Old 03-04-2006, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TOYJZX100
it would be cool if you could make it come down like a 4runner rear hatch can hehe
Old 03-04-2006, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by sasquatch

Try to picture the rear slider as two slider doors for a house, but connected in one frame assembly. One door goes left, one door goes right

EDIT...

And who says that glas can't be cut to the exhisting radius [like the outter most parts] to match whats there already? That way you can have half the damn hole open too
Old 03-04-2006, 12:21 PM

you can't cut tempered glass. You would have to have new pieces made or use plastic. Plate glass is very dangerous when it break, and would slice anyone up really really bad. THey make safety glass with a plastic layer between the tow outers, but I don't know if you can use that in auto applications.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

I Know they use to make a flexible rubber seal to go between the cab and an attached topper that replaced the sliding back window. I had one on my 79 Toy and since I never took the topper off, I insulated and carpeted the box. It was my version of a 4Runner before we had 'em.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:01 PM

I know the glass is tempered. But a glass shop should be able to get him fixed up with new tempered I'm sure.

And...as far as the canopy-to-cab boots go. I think they're bad news. Dust and dirt gets between the seal and slowly sands the paint right off the back of the cab. Then it turns to rust VERY quickly. I haven't checked to see if the designs changed on them.

I think the best way for a cab-to-canopy boot would be a type of seal that atattched[<---spelling?] to the window area like the stock slider window seal. Kind of like an accordian style.