Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OOPS! I did it agaaaiiiin, got lost in th...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OOPS! I did it agaaaiiiin, got lost in th...

Welp, i managed to kill ANOTHER 22RE in my 1988 4runner.

Here's the story, bare with me; its a 1988 4runner 22RE 5spd. the original motor let go on my with some terrible knocking. I ordered a complete longblock, with RV cam, and new head. Had some issues with timing when i first got the new motor in and running, but that was squared away in the beginning. now, about 2k miles later, probably much less (my speedo and odo arent working right now) the engine shuts off while sitting at a stop light in the rain a few days before Christmas. No strange noises or symptoms at all, just stopped running. On a date no less (She didnt care and still really likes my truck although i no longer do).

The truck gets towed to a reputable shop my family has been using for years, and since it is the holidays i just did not have time to sort it myself.

Now i finally get a call from them yesterday while i'm at work and the mechanic tells me he cant do anything for my old girl. He found metal flakes in the oil and everywhere in the valve cover. . . . Probably the worst news i could have heard. . . .

I have my dad drag me to his house to strip it down to see if there was anything broken that may be covered under the Warranty from Sunwest. Upon opening the valve cover everything appeared normal, at first. what looked to be a coiled spring completely mangled and wound around the cam sprocket, teeth and the chain itself. To the left of the cam sprocket i found a 1inch long metal tube, shredded on one end, sitting between the wall of the head and the cam sprocket.

After seeing this, i inspected down into the timing cover (I have not removed it yet). the chain is as loose as it can possibly get without falling off the gears and the tensioner is gone. It must be pieces of the tensioner i'm finding in there along with the spring.

I've read about how an oil pump bolt being too long could pinch the tensioner. Could this be the cause? Could ANYTHING else cause this to happen? Not enough oil pressure? poor timing?

The engine builders have already basically told me i'm on my own because it mush be something I did wrong . . I'm just trying to figure that out since i bought this thing as a long block, with the timing cover, tensioner and chain all already installed.

Here's the photos

Please let me know what you guys think.

-Bryan
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
That you did something wrong is standard ploy used by all engine builders to cover their ass.

I think you should slash his 300 dollar tires~
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 AM

^ Haha i just read about that. The shop i purchased the motor from is in WA so i wont be slashing anybodies tires over this issue
Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 AM

Explain to them again that the part that screwed up was a part they installed, then tell them you have a lawyer... that usually gets full cooperation
Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lawyer up!!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM

if they installed that part it their ass, you paid extra for them to have that installed so that you wouldnt mess that up but it messed up so its on them.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 AM

I have not talked to them about what i found. I called them as soon as the shop called me. Then drug it home and found the tensioner floating around the timing cover. I'm calling them this afternoon when i get off. i just don't want to be given the run-around again which is why i came here first. To make sure there isn't something stupid that i could have missed upon installing the motor, to cause this to happen.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
what did you install and what didn't you install? The timing cover/oil pump? the head? timing set?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by vital22re
what did you install and what didn't you install? The timing cover/oil pump? the head? timing set?
None of the above, i received an assembled longblock with everything installed minus the manifolds (exhaust and intake), valve cover, oil pan, and accessories/belts.

The timing cover, chain, tensioner, head, cams were all done by them.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:54 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
If they did all that. THAT'S ON THEM!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
x2^^ its on them. threaten lawyer and BBB if they dont cooperate. also threaten bad publicity on a worldwide toyota website... hit them in the pocketbook....
Old 01-04-2013, 06:16 AM

I really don't want to resort to threatening them yet. I just want my motor replaced at no extra cost to me since its clear i didn't cause this to happen.

Now if they don't want to cooperate, then i'll do what i have to. But i'll wait to see what happens before I jump to scare tactics.

Thanks for the insight guys, there's a reason I share this site with every Toyota enthusiast I meet
Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 AM

I almost ordered one of their long blocks recently. I hope they do the right thing for you.

From their warranty:
"Sunwest Automotive Engine warrants to the original retail consumer purchaser of our product that each such product will be free from defects
in materials and workmanship for the above applicable warranty period. This warranty does not apply to defects due, directly or indirectly, to
misuse, abuse, negligence, accident, defects in parts not supplied by us, repairs or alterations outside of our designated facilities, lack of proper
maintenance or incorrect installation. Warranty DOES NOT apply to any engine damage as a result of OEM factory casting defects,
overheating or lack of lubrication. Parts other than block and head are warranted by their respective manufactures.

8. THIS WARRANTY IS VOID IF (but not limited to):
A. The engine assembly has been overheated or the heat tab has been removed (failure to rod or recore the radiator). Any damage caused directly to the
Cooling system overheats or continued operation of the engine while in an overheated condition.
B. H. D. detergent-type oil with an API specification SD, SE, or SF, 10-30 weight or the equivalent is not used.
C. Failure to follow lubrication procedure. Do not pre-lube by cranking the engine.
D. Failure to properly torque the cylinder head, adjust valves, time the engine or clean the intake manifold of foreign matter prior to engine start-up.
E. Misuse, abuse or neglect: failure to stop the engine after a defect is apparent. EXAMPLES: Overheating, low oil pressure, preignition, detonation,
unusual sound or knock, lack of power.
F. Lack of lubrication or oil level is low.
G. Failure due to acts of nature. (freezing, flooding, etc.)
H. Engine assembly damaged due to competitive driving,” racing”, or operation in a manner constituting risk to the reliability and performance limitations
of the engine’s design (as determined by the O.E.M. guidelines).
I. When odometer readings have been altered or broken pans prohibit accurate readings, of if odometer tampering has occurred to distort the vehicles
actual mileage. Repairs will not be covered if starting mileage cannot be verified.
J. Engine assembly damage resulting from incorrect installation of engine or accessory pans. (including inspection and proper cleaning).
K. “500 mile” validation is not resumed. (See registration certificate section C).
L. Engine oil cooler not replaced (flushing not acceptable).
In the event of any legal action to enforce the terms of this warranty, the customer agrees that venue for such action shall be Spokane, Washington. "

Let's hope they don't try to burn you with one of these "automatic void" BS rules.

GL

Last edited by derockus; 01-04-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 AM

Yeah! Slash the 300 dollar tires! I know it hurts!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:34 AM

Sorry for such a delay.

Here's what i found behind the timing cover.
Name:  IMG_2232_zps5fb5662c.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2233_zps9ed05fad.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  71.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2234_zps73d789f8.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2235_zps151e2f11.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2229_zpsb4f24f04.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2228_zpsbc5b09c2.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  89.9 KB

The rest of the pieces are in the oil pan and various other places within the motor.

I spoke with Sunwest and have worked out a deal to get the engine replaced for free. Other than having to pull the engine once again, im pretty pleased with the outcome.
No tire slashing necessary. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very good to hear that somebody finally stands behind a warranty!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by cman1
very good to hear that somebody finally stands behind a warranty!!!
Yes it is!

At first I didn't think they would hold up to it. But they surprised me and were very friendly and helpful about everything. I really think this was a freak accident and I still have great confidence in their work.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:09 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Hooray for a happy outcome!!