Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ongoing 22RE issue, Only the Greatest of mind should enter here!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bummer! Id lend a hand if I had the knowledge but...

Don't give up though man!

-RONI-

Old 05-19-2012, 04:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hope is the only thing greater than fear..... ^_^
Old 05-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would check my crank and cam and make sure they are both set at TDC, a degree or 2 off on the cam will do that, since its just rebuilt and nothing else seems to be working, worth a check
Old 05-19-2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by daswampdaddy
I would check my crank and cam and make sure they are both set at TDC, a degree or 2 off on the cam will do that, since its just rebuilt and nothing else seems to be working, worth a check
Trust me, this thing has been gone over a dozen times. Thanks for the input though!
Old 06-26-2012, 06:49 PM

Ahhh! Thank You! This is the very problem I'm having right now too. Live in CA, 95 22RE. I blew a headgasket a while back and fixed it since then my car is running lean just like this. It has killed my catalytic converter. I ping on the highway. White plugs the whole nine.

Here is what I've done. Checked: Ignition Timing, Valve Clearance, Mechanical Timing, Rebuilt/cleaned injectors, New plugs, new wires, Cleaned EGR(during rebuild), New Head, Valves etc...and yet it continues to ping.

These are the things I've yet to test/do: Replace Fuel Filter, Test AFM, Test O2 sensor Good luck everyone I hope we can solve this.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting thread. This sounds like my 91 too. I had white plugs, lean as heck, eats o2 sensors, bad mpg, bad power, high Nox, replaced ignition, timed 1000 times, new fuel filter, two different afm's and checkedout.

I never figured it out so i sold it. Please figure this phantom 22re problem in hopes of saving people like me from havibg to thow in the towel. I wouldnt have sold it but if you cant pass aircare then you cant insure it which means it has to go
Old 06-26-2012, 07:26 PM

I just took my AFM off and did the sweep test and took all the readings on my digital ohmeter. Every single thing checks out. Sweeping the vane and checking the resistance between any of the contacts reveals nothing out of the ordinary like dead spots where resistance approaches infinity. Sometimes I would sweep to track the wave pattern between E2 VC and I would see it. Occasionally when I went over it it would randomly his 1.4 1.6 kohm but when I'd backtrack to find it again it wouldn't be there.

One more thing checked off the list.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 PM

Just tested my TPS It is all good. Here are the readings:
VTA-E2 .57Kohm @0mm, 3.1 Kohm at WOT
IDL-E2 no equipment to read but almost instantly went to infinity just as specs would imply
VCC-E2 3.86kohm iffy here but super close to low limit of 3.9 kohm

One more thing to check off the list
Old 06-26-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by melicha8
Ahhh! Thank You! This is the very problem I'm having right now too. Live in CA, 95 22RE. I blew a headgasket a while back and fixed it since then my car is running lean just like this. It has killed my catalytic converter. I ping on the highway. White plugs the whole nine.

Here is what I've done. Checked: Ignition Timing, Valve Clearance, Mechanical Timing, Rebuilt/cleaned injectors, New plugs, new wires, Cleaned EGR(during rebuild), New Head, Valves etc...and yet it continues to ping.

These are the things I've yet to test/do: Replace Fuel Filter, Test AFM, Test O2 sensor Good luck everyone I hope we can solve this.
Can you give more details of "new head" ? I had this same issue after a fresh rebuild . Block deck and head were resurfaced causing too high of compression . Remedy : used a thicker head gasket from Napa
Old 06-26-2012, 09:18 PM

This was a brand new head from engnbldr so I assume well within spec. I purchased the headgasket kit from Autozone
Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 PM

Bump for the guys still working on this. I don't want this thread to get buried. I check the codes tonight on my car. None MIL blinks every half second as if nothing is wrong. Any other updates for those working on this problem still?

I hate to say it but my working theory for this problem is the headgasket. I should have gotten the OEM gasket I think. My theory is the head gasket is either too thin or the coolant passages to small to adequately cool the head and it's creating hot spots.
It seems to me to be the only explanation because I have checked all the things responsible for fuel and air and they all work. If something was malfunctioning it would throw a code.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:00 AM

I just took my AFM off and did the sweep test and took all the readings on my digital ohmeter. Every single thing checks out. Sweeping the vane and checking the resistance between any of the contacts reveals nothing out of the ordinary like dead spots where resistance approaches infinity. Sometimes I would sweep to track the wave pattern between E2 VC and I would see it. Occasionally when I went over it it would randomly his 1.4 1.6 kohm but when I'd backtrack to find it again it wouldn't be there.

One more thing checked off the list.

I did not find the dead spot in the sweep test till I used a analog meter. I have not yet replaced the afm for anyone that wants to know. I'm still looking for one local so I can test it myself.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 PM

UPS is supposed to gift me a used hopefully good condition AFM today and I will see if it fixes the problem. My fingers are crossed because after this I don't know what to do. I will have ruled out every single air fuel cause it could rationally be leaving me to confront my final theory that I did the head and used a non OEM headgasket. Perhaps it could be caused by blockage with insufficient cooling over the head leading to hot spots that cause the ping. This doesn't however deal with the issue of a lean condition(high egt) that supposedly fried my last cat.

Last edited by melicha8; 08-07-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:05 PM

Ahh good for you, let us know what happens and I should also have a afm no later than next week!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:59 PM

Put it in tonight. Sounds better and I wasn't getting much ping. The true test will be tomorrow in the 104 degree heat.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:10 AM

I hope your new AFM solves the issue. I am suspicious of mine now I have the white plugs and pinging at certain throttle and load.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:41 AM

Put it in tonight. Sounds better and I wasn't getting much ping. The true test will be tomorrow in the 104 degree heat.
I would hope that you would not get any ping at all. I don't know the time frame for the ecm to re-learn but make sure any timing tweaks you did to try to get rid of the ping are put back to spec and the codes cleared.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:25 AM

Nope no luck. I doubt resetting the ecu will change anything. The car is running just as it was before. This ˟˟˟˟in sucks
Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 PM

Nope no luck. I doubt resetting the ecu will change anything. The car is running just as it was before. This ˟˟˟˟in sucks
I know you probably did this, but did you test the replacement afm with a analog meter doing the standard fsm test and sweep test? I'm not as excited about getting mine now......
Old 08-08-2012, 04:07 PM

Hey Melicha, I re-read your posts i saw you used a digital meter to test with, In post #92 I said I could not find anything wrong till I used a analog meter(for the sweep test). I also had the cover off mine so I could test it under power "key on" and that's when I found the voltage drop. IneternetRoadkill talks about this somewhere in this thread and in others. So hit it with a analog meter and get back to us.

Quick Reply: Ongoing 22RE issue, Only the Greatest of mind should enter here!! :)