Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

OIL PAN: RTV or Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
OIL PAN: RTV or Gasket?

Like the title implies, when you pull the oil pan do you personally use RTV or the gasket that comes in a master kit?

I have info on both and looking for people's personal stories, success and failures both.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RTV, I replaced a leaking cork gasket with RTV and it has never leaked again, if I recall, Toyota only uses RTV also so why try to out engineer the engineers?
Old 08-23-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, and use TOYOTA Black RTV. Good stuff!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
New to me, but good to know. I used Black RTV on the cork gasket on my 3vz.
Did it 3 years ago and I park it in the garage with no drips And I wheel the piss out of it.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:04 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Toyota from the dealer $20.00 tube of BLACK RTV!
I have used it on almost every oil pan I have had off and put back on. Not a leak yet.
Great stuff!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 PM

Toyota black rtv
Old 08-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota black RTV
Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Well, as far as a 3VZ-E is concerned, some you can ONLY use RTV as an oil pan gasket on. Because they don't have long enough bolts/studs to accomodate the older style(non-RTV) gaskets. You could buy longer bolts/studs, and use a cork/composite gasket, but why? I GUARANTEE you Toyota wouldn't.

3VZE Full gasket set from DNJ Engine Components. This set includes a cork oil pan gasket but please note that some of the later engines used "RTV" with very short studs and you will want to duplicate that for reassembly as the cork gasket "may be" too thick for that configuration.
http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/product121.html

Anyhow...

RTV, because that's all I have experience with using as an oil pan gasket on my Toyota engine. Which happens to be an 88 3VZ-E that originally came from the factory with a cork/composite oil pan gasket. But it had a conglomeration of three different colors of RTV(red, grey, and clear) used as an oil pan gasket when I bought it. Which never leaked a drop. So when I removed the oil pan, I resealed it with Ultra Copper. And it still ain't leaked a drop.

In general, I'd use RTV in place of pretty much any gasket designed to seal anything, if I had to. Sometimes I don't choose to. But I'll always have a reasonable excuse for why not to if I don't. Which is usually for fear of the RTV causing a blockage or restriction of some sort, where the solid-type gasket wouldn't. Nor would I use it in places where RTV is not specifically designed to be used. Like where it would be potentially in contact with gasoline, higher temperatures than it can withstand, or wherever else it states on the package that it should not be used.

Side-note 1: I don't subscribe to the notion that Toyota FIPG is superior IN ANY WAY to whichever type of RTV would be equivalent to it(black for black, grey for grey, red for red). I personally use Ultra Black, Ultra Grey, or Ultra Copper. And that's ALL I'll use for RTV...PERIOD. Wherever I feel whichever should be used. Also, as far as I'm concerned, Ultra Copper is FULLY universal/for ALL applications. It's worked great EVERYWHERE I've used it. Wait, I lied, I'm dying to try out that new RTV they've got for gear oil applications. Since I've had Ultra Black fail on me before as a diff gasket(though Ultra Copper hasn't let me down there yet, but the new stuff's supposed to be even better for it).

Side-note 2: I don't subscribe to the notion that any other Toyota brand fluid, such as coolant, oil(YES they brand their own motor oil too), or ATF is superior to all others either. BULLCRAP!!! IMO, you're a BIG TIME SUCKER if you be believing that nonsense!!! And I've got some beach front property in Kansas for sale on the CHEAP, if you're interested BTW.

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-25-2012 at 10:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
swampedout (08-29-2020)
Old 08-23-2012, 10:29 PM

As a Toyota Tech, I use the Toyota FIPG (RTV) on all my oil pans. Toyota also has Coolant safe RTV for use on vehicles that don't have a water pump gasket ex. Prius
Old 08-24-2012, 04:02 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
I used Permatex Ultra Black. It never leaked in the 14,000 miles I owned the truck. I'm planning on doing it again for my 4Runner.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:14 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Toyota BLACK FIPG

:wabbit2:
Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
That Toyota Black FIPG is the shiznit. Tenacious as hell.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:03 AM

Agreed on the FIPG, the one and only rebuilt engine I've bought up until this point was a great engine (www.toyotacarpart.com ) but my mechanic used the cork or what ever gasket that came with it when he installed it. Leaked within weeks. I bought a tube of that stuff and had him re-seal it, turned out beautiful. Wish I never sold that truck....
Old 08-25-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by zppeacock
Toyota also has Coolant safe RTV for use on vehicles that don't have a water pump gasket ex. Prius
For the record, and for those of us that avoid the stealership like the plague, so does "the other guy".

Permatex® Water Pump & Thermostat RTV Silicone Gasket

And the Prius wouldn't be the only example of that either(not by a LONG SHOT). They actually use RTV on all their water pumps these days. Including on engines originally designed to use a solid-type gasket. Been that way for a couple decades or more now. Which you ought to know BTW, Mr. Toyota Tech.

And, since when did they stop using 08826-00100(1 of the OEM black types available) for that? What's the part number for the new stuff they use on the Prius(if different)? How are you able to establish the claim for it being "coolant safe", as opposed to "better suited for use in coolant sealing applications than 00295-00103(the other black type) or 00295-00102(the Ultra Grey equivalent no longer used) which it supersedes"? Or, do you really think the FIPG they've been using for 20+ years on water pumps is going to be as good or better than the MUCH newer RTV(just released by Permatex the year before last) on the market designed specifically to be used as such? That last question's rhetorical.

Look, I know MUCH more than you about what you do(despite never having worked for Toyota or as a professional "tech"). So speculation of that sort doesn't escape my attention unchallenged. You can state your superiority over the rest of us until you're blue in the face. Means jack squat to me. Sorry, it's just not a good idea to even mention the words "Toyota Tech" or "ASE Certified" in my presence. I eat you guys for breakfast.

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-26-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Invitation for argumentation desolation
Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

I am ASE certified

Last edited by James Woods; 08-25-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:53 AM

But I have a great deal of respect for you James, regardless. Maybe that's because I've never heard you use that fact as any kind of undeniable proof of your skill in the areas of auto mechanics. Or maybe it's because it's not true, and you're just making a funny. In the case of the former, you gain even more respect from me for your humble attitude(having not mentioned it very often, or ever that I'm aware of). In the case of the latter...good one!

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-25-2012 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Hawk_man24 (05-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2012, 12:42 PM

In the end it's personal preference and what works best for each individual. I won't deny that RTV works great, but I don't use it unless I have to because I hate scraping it off. I used a cork oil pan gasket and put the black Permatex gasket sealer on both sides. I put that stuff on pretty much any paper or cork gasket and I've never had any problems with leaks. It's also alot easier to clean up when you have to take that part off again. Remember with cork gaskets to check the torque the bolts after a while because the cork will probably have compressed a little over time.

Last edited by B-Fake; 08-25-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:45 PM

I replaced the water pump on my 90 3.0 when I did the timing belt. The new pump Toyota came with a metal/o-ring impregnated gasket, I used it instead of RTV. Unlike the old pump that had the groove cut on the sealing surface (for RTV) the new pump was had a flat non-grooved surface. The OEM pump, 21 years old had no leaks. Now I'm loosing a small amount of coolant somewhere. Just got a new radiator cap to start with the basic stuff first. Might see if I can't get a peek at the water pump without removing too much stuff. I do have a pressure tester. Just need to take the time. One thing for sure,...there is no better place to get real help than Yotatech.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by kuzbro
I replaced the water pump on my 90 3.0 when I did the timing belt. The new pump Toyota came with a metal/o-ring impregnated gasket, I used it instead of RTV. Unlike the old pump that had the groove cut on the sealing surface (for RTV) the new pump was had a flat non-grooved surface.
Groove or no groove, RTV/FIPG can be used. Groove or no groove, a solid-type gasket can be used. Makes no difference.

And you're welcome. Now your post is somewhat more relevant to this thread(but hardly so). As you DID NOT state your opinion on RTV vs. a gasket for the oil pan. You also made no reference to any success or failure you've experienced while using one or the other, in any application. You may have a coolant leak, but from where or why you don't know. All you know is that Toyota used RTV to seal the original water pump on your engine, and that it never leaked(let me guess...it was grey right?).

In the future, please refrain from threadjacking and always try to
Thanks!

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-26-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Toyota FIPG (and Permatex Right-Stuff) are both VERY FAST SETTING sealants (Permatex claims One minute). This is important if you're charging by the hour, like a real mechanic.

But I'm an amateur, and I'm just not fast enough to get everything together perfectly in 10 seconds every time. So I use RTV. I let it set overnight. And I'm very happy with the results.

If you're quick enough, I'm sure Toyota FIPG will work just as well, and you can start it up a little sooner.

Quick Reply: OIL PAN: RTV or Gasket?