Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Oil leak question.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak question.

So I have had an oil leak (22RE) and it's not horrible but it's not good. I spent today degreasing my entire engine and transmission and everything I could to make finding it easier. I went and got some UV Dye to add to the oil and have a UV light.

I added the dye and drove it around for about 15 mins to work it really well. I crawled around under my truck and can see that it LOOKS like it is coming from the oil pan(Passenger side) and running down the rear to the bell housing and also running down the front kind of on the frame and down the front differential / sway bar and down the steering stabilizer then to the ground.

BUT - it is also above the oil pan a little on the bracket for the AC and also a little to the left on the frame. I cannot see it leaking from anywhere above, its not leaking from the filter.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if it may just be catching wind from the fan or while driving that would cause it go higher than the oil pan? ( its not going very high up if it can) I can't see oil anywhere but those places and no higher than the AC bracket in the front. and no higher than the oil pan in the rear. Just want to make sure im not trying to chase something that doesnt exist.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pictures..?

Kinda hard to say based on your post...

Possible oil pan gasket leakage...?

Possible Oil pump/front main crankshaft seal...?

Timing cover gasket/seal...?

Any work done to the engine recently...?
Old 09-08-2013, 09:00 PM

Other than replacing the Alternator, and power stearing pressure hose. No recent work to the engine. I have used my UV light all over the engine on the passenger side and cannot see glowing oil below the valve cover towards the oil pan or around the AC. Sorry the pics are kinda crappy was trying to use the light and crawl under there with my phone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90787407@N08/
Old 09-08-2013, 09:03 PM

one of the angles i cant get to is if you shine the light down the oil pan bolts it glows all down the pan pretty bright. quite a bit of oil down the pan. Im just wondering if it's possible it's just kinda blowing up a little due to wind while driving?
Old 09-08-2013, 09:52 PM

Check the alt bolt that goes in to the timing cover.
Maybe degrease again and then idle the rig where it sits.
You might have better luck finding it without the wind blowing it around.
Although the leak may not spring without a load. Just a thought.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 PM

I'd double check the filter, for I've run into the same problem once before. May not be, just saying...
Old 09-09-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Could be the main seal...... via oil pump / harmonic balancer. Mine has leaked for eons, keeps the underside rust free.
just google/////// yotatech main seal oil leak, then pick what to look through.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:23 PM

Hmm.. seems to be running out of the lower timing cover bolt that goes through the Air Conditioning compressor bracket through the timing cover into the block... the timing cover gasket could be leaking/damaged internally/externally making its way down/around the bolt/fastener shaft out the engine...

Possible.

I would re-clean a double check.

Last edited by Kiroshu; 09-09-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Hmm.. seems to be running out of the lower timing cover bolt that goes through the Air Conditioning compressor bracket through the timing cover into the block... the timing cover gasket could be leaking/damaged internally/externally making its way down/around the bolt/fastener shaft out the engine...

Possible.

I would re-clean a double check.

So I cannot see any oil above the Air Condition Compressor bracket. I have been all over the engine with my blacklight and can only see the glow of the oil from this bracket down towards the oil pan ( runs down the oil pan passenger side to the bell housing and drips down to the ground ) and it also drips down the AC bracket and down the differential and down the stabilizer to the ground. So probably the timing cover gasket like you said?

Its not coming from the filter or anywhere down the front of the engine. have to crawl under it and the highest place i can see it coming from is the AC bracket.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:34 PM

Name:  timing_zps16cb0882.gif
Views: 1271
Size:  74.9 KB
Old 09-24-2013, 11:13 AM

Ok guys, I cannot find this leak and im tried of trying to figure it out. So I am going to just get a complete seal kit and a timing set with the metal drivers side guide. Going to go to my buddys house and he is going to help me pull the engine and re-do all the gaskets and seals and replace the timing set while its out as well as replace the clutch(why not its coming apart and i dont want to worry about it later.)

So here is my question. What else should I replace while im in there. Everything else seams to work fine. Motor is strong and doesnt need rebuilt. but am wondering what else would be a good idea to replace / just get done while its out.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 PM

Seems like your on a good track:

*Removing the engine*

-Re-sealing the engine is good practice and will prevent some future issues.

-Replacement of the Clutch Assembly sounds good to me while its out.

-Checking and Re-surfacing the flywheel may be something to look at.

-Rear main seal and oil pan are defiantly something I would do at this stage, as their service procedures by themselves are extremely time consuming with the engine still installed.

-Cleaning the engine.. Maybe even some paint for fun.

-Cleaning/Reconditioning the engine bay while the engine is removed..?

-Fluids.

-And anything else you fancy.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:22 PM

Ya I am going to do the rear main seal, and oil pan, basically anything that has a seal or gasket is going to get replaced.. I am going to paint the valve cover and probably the intake manifold (make it look a little better ) Good idea on the flywheel and engine bay. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2013, 02:04 AM

How many miles are on the engine?
It might be worth the cost and effort to replace your chain while you're at it.
If not at least inspect your chain/guides/timing cover.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:31 AM

121,000 miles. Im going to be replacing the whole timing set while im in there. as well as all the gaskets and seals.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to engnbldr.com and you can get a full timing kit with oil and water pump at a great price
Old 09-25-2013, 10:33 AM

that was actually going to be my next question. I have been told by a buddy of mine to go there. but also see alot of stuff on http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com, was wondering if anyone else has ordered stuff from either.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:10 PM

The fuel filter on that model is a pain in the ass to replace. I'd definitely replace that too while the engine is out. It sits under the intake manifold and would be much easier to replace with the engine out.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:13 PM

awesome, Thanks for the input Murcielago!
Old 09-25-2013, 01:34 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Murcielago
The fuel filter on that model is a pain in the ass to replace. I'd definitely replace that too while the engine is out. It sits under the intake manifold and would be much easier to replace with the engine out.
x2 mine is just hanging by the hoses.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil leak question.