Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

O2 Sensor Flange Welded!!

Old 05-02-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down O2 Sensor Flange Welded!!

Okay so my 22re 89 4runner could use an 02 sensor.. i noticed the one on there is a universal (hack crimp job) and looks older then dirt.... So i ordered one from sparkplugs.com (200bucks canadian when all was said and done..) direct fit oem denso..... got it today and went down there to install it expecting to have 2 bolts to take off.... well upon further inspection the universal one on there appears to be a thread on (havent been successful removing it yet) and its threaded into a big welded on flange (right before cat)....

anyone come across something so stupid??? any ideas?? I assume ill have to do sum chopping and welding but where do i find a new flange!! any help would be great
Old 05-02-2007, 05:28 PM

that universal "stupid screw in one" is what most are running, and may actually be a better type of sensor.

The stock toyota O2 sensor is a heated 1 wire. If you stick with a universal bung you could go with a 3 wire sensor. And besides you've got a lot more options with the screw in bung type sensor.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by longhungsilver
anyone come across something so stupid??? any ideas?? I assume ill have to do sum chopping and welding but where do i find a new flange!! any help would be great

Why would that be stupid? Instead of paying $170 for sensor from Toyota somebody paid $35 for aftermarket replacement, $5 for plange and 20minutes of his time with welder. Wasn`t that a mod? LOL

I have two advices for you, one for the future, one for present.

Future one, before you order yourself any expensive part, check for mods.

Present one: leave old sensor in place, just cut off the wire. Go to mufler shop, check for scrap, find correct flange, cut it out then weld in place just near by the old one....
Old 05-02-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bill
that universal "stupid screw in one" is what most are running, and may actually be a better type of sensor.

The stock toyota O2 sensor is a heated 1 wire. If you stick with a universal bung you could go with a 3 wire sensor. And besides you've got a lot more options with the screw in bung type sensor.
thanks for the helpful comment bill... first off the stock toyota one is not necessarily one wire... and the universal one would not have any added features that the car doesnt have... and the denso one i bought has 4 wires.... lastly universals are not better as a bad crimp or solder job can cause faulty readings with the added resistance and are nothing but problems...

Last edited by longhungsilver; 05-02-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by EUROJulian
Why would that be stupid? Instead of paying $170 for sensor from Toyota somebody paid $35 for aftermarket replacement, $5 for plange and 20minutes of his time with welder. Wasn`t that a mod? LOL

I have two advices for you, one for the future, one for present.

Future one, before you order yourself any expensive part, check for mods.

Present one: leave old sensor in place, just cut off the wire. Go to mufler shop, check for scrap, find correct flange, cut it out then weld in place just near by the old one....
thanks for the advice... and to me the idea seems stupid as ive heard of nothing but problems with aftermarket universals compared to stock oem sensors... plug and play is more reliable....

And yes in the future I will check first.. this is my first stock O2 sensor (as universals have been problematic in past vehicles) and i didnt think to thoroughly check things over...

I think ill head to my parts store and buy a small chunk of exhaust pipe and a flange and then cut and weld...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:22 PM

you got an "OEM" 4-wire sensor? I've never seen or heard of a stock Toyota (of that era anyways) O2 sensor that wasn't 1 wire.

And true a bad crimp or soder can lead to ☺☺☺☺ty outcomes, however the same can be said of an join. If a connector is dirty or damaged it can give you problems too. Just means you need to do a good job sodering you connections together.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bill
you got an "OEM" 4-wire sensor? I've never seen or heard of a stock Toyota (of that era anyways) O2 sensor that wasn't 1 wire.

And true a bad crimp or soder can lead to ☺☺☺☺ty outcomes, however the same can be said of an join. If a connector is dirty or damaged it can give you problems too. Just means you need to do a good job sodering you connections together.
Yah well the connector is in under the carpet under the drivers seat so i think thats a pretty smart place.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/more_info....72259&pid=2047

4 wire as it says and u can see.. the universal denso on the site is 4 wire as well... so i duno...
Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my 89 gen1 4Runner uses a 4 wire 02 sensor as well.

I think the heater ground is seperated from the sensor ground... dunno why
Old 05-04-2007, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by ewong
my 89 gen1 4Runner uses a 4 wire 02 sensor as well.

I think the heater ground is seperated from the sensor ground... dunno why
weird ya it must be. Oh well anyways I went to lordco today and for 60ish bucks bought the intermediate exhaust pipe (bolts to the flex pipe and to the cat.... So when i get a bit of good weather im going to swap that pipe cuz the new one has the flange all nice and ready to go for my new 02 sensor

I bought the little gaskets for the pipe.... im a noob at exhausts... Do i need sumthing along with the donut gaskets or are they enough on there own??