86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

noob doing SAS

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noob doing SAS

well im finally doing a SAS on my 89 Toyota got me a 85 solid axle with the front half of the truck frame on it.. gonna be a father and son project with my dad helping me.. as of right now I wanna strip the axle, repaint it and maybe add armor I wanna keep it at the height its at right now with 33s..
what are some good kits to use and i wanna go high steer and use my ifs steering box
Name:  546092_3563331771780_798798652_n_zps6369a672.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  109.9 KB
Old 09-18-2013, 04:41 AM

Bump.. anyone??
Old 09-18-2013, 05:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi, Richard here. I would definitely go with AllPro's SAS kit. I used it on my 89 4Runner and she came out looking great!
https://www.allprooffroad.com/8489suspension/8489sas/42

I would recommend getting the 4" lift for your truck. I too am running 33's. 33/12.5/15
Be aware that that kit is only the front. So you would need to buy the rear leaf springs as well. If you plan to carry a bunch of weight in the rear then i would go for a 5". but pickups usually call for a standard 4 and 4 inches of lift on both sides. 4runners like mine take a 1" difference due to the extra weight we carry.

Also, you mentioned you would want to keep it at 33's for now. 4" lift would be perfect for that. AND IT DOESNT LOOK GOOFY. Not only that but you can also upgrade to 35" tires with the same lift if you ever chose to go that route.

Just in case you guys are on a budget. 4 new leaf springs can easily run you $1150 alone. If you want to save money you might want to look around in the classifieds section for some used springs and parts. If money isnt a factor then you're set to go. Here are my old leaf springs up for sale for the set of 4. Just a thought thats all
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f189...runner-269317/

Were you planning on running bigger gear ratio and maybe lockers for your axles? You will definitely feel a huge difference in speed, take off, better gas mileage, lower RPMS, and pretty much everything. Especially with our 3vze engine. You'll see a huge difference
- 4.88 gears is what you will want to get if you decide that.
- And if you go lockers, Chefyota4x4 and I are both running Spartan lockers in both front and rear axles and we are loving it. We can keep up with my buddies trucks who are running both expensive detroit lockers. Spartan locker is the best drop in locker on the market made by Yukon. its as good as it goes before you go to detroit and ARB lockers.

Anyway i gotta head to work. I hope this info helps you out. Check out my build thread if you're curious to see how we did my SAS. I took tons of pictures of the entire axle clean up, painting, assembling and SAS progress.

You'll do great
Old 09-18-2013, 05:32 AM

I'm gonna keep the rear the same for now I'm getting the axle Saturday and I'm redoing all the seals... was looking at the 3inch or 4 inch lift springs for the front I also gotta convert to high steer gonna be a while with all the parts I need
Old 09-18-2013, 05:47 AM

That all pro kit provides the Histeer.

Oh I forgot your truck is already lifted some. In that case you should be set with just getting that kit. No rear leaf springs needed. Just a matching front.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:33 AM

Now can I use the same brakes that or on the solid axle and just re attach the lines and bleed them
Old 09-18-2013, 07:05 AM

By brakes I'm guessing you mean if you can use your V6 vented rotors and calipers right?

If that's your question then yes you can. The All-Pro sas kit also comes with new v6 vented rotors. And as for the calipers you can re use the ones on the IFS set up. The mounting holes align perfectly with the SFA holes where the 4cyl caliper mounts to. The only thing you'll need to do is cut back the dust shield on both sides where the caliper fits in to. Approx 1/4" on both sides. Its really not hard to do at all. It only takes about 1minute to do for each side. I also show pix of doing this on the sas part of my thread
Old 09-18-2013, 07:10 AM

I ment the brakes and rotors already on the SFA
Old 09-18-2013, 07:51 AM

You can use the four-cylinder calipers that came with the axle but I can't see why you would not want to use the bigger stronger v6 calipers. You'll definitely get more braking power if you went that route. Also your truck already has the v6 master cylinder and brake booster so your v6 brakes would compliment that far better then the 4cly ones that the axle comes with.

Also the v6 vented rotors that the that come in the sas kits won't fit your cyl calipers.

Plus there's no need to buy them if you already have them with your IFS set up.

Last edited by Redeth005; 09-18-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:51 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
if you compare calipers, you'll see that the 4-cylinder calipers on the '85 have two different sizes of pistons.

total swept volume of the caliper pistons should match up with the master cylinder and the brake booster they were designed for... since the '85 calipers have smaller volume, they are not ideal, you want to run what you already have.

before you do anything, i'd put that solid axle on the workbench and take it apart... make sure that the axle shafts slide out easily, those housings get bent all the time, so the axles can be difficult to remove... you'll probably have to throw the housing away if it's bent.

if you are planning on reinforcing the housing, be very careful, the heat can warp the housing very easily... some people think that it'll warp no matter how you weld it.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:17 PM

The All Pro kit with 4" lift springs will amount to 5" of overall lift, taking the shackles into account. That would make the front of your truck at least 1" higher in the front, compared to the back.

Although most are against anything Trail Gear, I went with their 3" kit, which put the truck exactly in line with the existing 4" rear (blocks) that was left over from the IFS lift I had.

Putting 35s underneath later can be accomplished by putting a small 1" body lift on.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:48 PM

No need for a body lift if u want to go 35's.
Both my neighbors P.U. and 4Runner have Allpro 4" lifts and both are using 35/12.5 tires. And ive personally seen Mark's (chefyota4x4) 4runner lifted with trail-gears 4" lift and he is also rockin 35's. None if the 3 guys have a body lift.
My rig will eventually upgrade to 35's too once my 33's waste away.

Just saying.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
No need for a body lift if u want to go 35's.
Both my neighbors P.U. and 4Runner have Allpro 4" lifts and both are using 35/12.5 tires. And ive personally seen Mark's (chefyota4x4) 4runner lifted with trail-gears 4" lift and he is also rockin 35's. None if the 3 guys have a body lift.
My rig will eventually upgrade to 35's too once my 33's waste away.

Just saying.
Read what I posted again.

He currently has a 4" bracket lift. The All Pro 4" lift is actually 5" of lift, when you add in the shackled. 5" will clear 35s. But, he would have to lift the rear an inch to match the new front.
I've got the same truck, but a 91, instead of an 89, and was in the same place.
To go SAS, and keep the same height, the lift springs need to be 3" + 1" shackles = 4".

I read your build thread, and saw that you put a new rear lift on your truck at the same time. You've got a total suspension lift of 5", and no you wouldn't need a body lift for 35s.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:38 PM

Oooooh i missed that haha! guess it helps if i don't read through my little phone screen either lol

Haha i thought that the shackles included in the kit were to complete the 4" lift. i didnt know that that part was separate. lol Actually in the end i had to go for a 4"lift in the front with 4" shackles and go from a 4" lift/4"shackles to a 6" lift 6" shackles in the rear due to my heavy A$s bumper and tire carrier. That was the only way i was able to get my truck to even out lol. I'm just happy Kurtis with AllPro Offroad was able to exchange my springs and shackles with no questions asked. Great customer service.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:43 PM

I don't have drilled rotors now.. and don't have the money for the all pro kit
Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 PM

Dang I'm confused
Old 09-18-2013, 07:11 PM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wolf28
I don't have drilled rotors now.. and don't have the money for the all pro kit
the drilled rotors apparently come in the all pro kit, so yeah, you don't have 'em... use the rotors you already have.

do you have a picture of that front half truck frame? if this is a low-budget deal, I wonder how much of that can be re-used.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
read read and read some more.... lots of info on sas on here and pirate, etc..... trail gear makes a cheapish swap kit BUT it is trail gear quality. i have used their stuff and it holds up for the most part.

my advice: take your time and do it right, read threads and DONT plan to do it in a weekend (it can be done but not worth rushing, i have had to re-do others "we did it in a weekend" jobs). dont throw out the ifs crap until you are complete like on the road done. be careful with the torch and dont overcut.
go with a 3" kit
wabfab or whiskey bent fab (480-251-7013) are a pleasure to deal with for the kit or any trail gear stuff.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by INFINITY
read read and read some more.... lots of info on sas on here and pirate, etc..... trail gear makes a cheapish swap kit BUT it is trail gear quality. i have used their stuff and it holds up for the most part.

my advice: take your time and do it right, read threads and DONT plan to do it in a weekend (it can be done but not worth rushing, i have had to re-do others "we did it in a weekend" jobs). dont throw out the ifs crap until you are complete like on the road done. be careful with the torch and dont overcut.
go with a 3" kit
wabfab or whiskey bent fab (480-251-7013) are a pleasure to deal with for the kit or any trail gear stuff.

um, wasn't WabFab banned from these forums?
Old 09-19-2013, 05:19 AM

I have all winter I will post the stuff I'm getting Saturday when he cuts it out

Quick Reply: noob doing SAS