Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Newbie 1992 4Runner 3VZ-E -Engine Stalling after warmup problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie 1992 4Runner 3VZ-E -Engine Stalling after warmup problem

Glad to join 2nd Generation forum, and could use some expertise in diagnosing an 3vz-e engine problem. I just had a shop rebuild my engine in Jan. 2023, in lieu or replacing the head gaskets for the 4TH time, (496,000 miles), considering a complete head vat, grind, surface & deck was required. Included, all parts OEM from YotaShop.com : NEW pistons, rings, freeze plugs, multi- gasket, O-ring, seal sets, head gaskets & bolts, valve covers, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, pulleys, tensioner, oil pump, fuel pump, fuel filter, salvaged fuel tank, fuel damper assembly, muffler, air filter, distributor, plugs, plug wires, throttle body air intake hose, battery, bearing sets, thrust washers, vacuum hoses, break-in oil/filter change, etc, etc, good- tested alternator, empty CAT in-place in lieu of a new straight pipe replacement

My 4ruuner starts, idles, and runs fine, BUT after running and warming up - engine starts sputtering and stalls upon braking to a stop, or making a slow 90* turn. I can quickly shift to neutral, & give it excessive throttle, and it starts right up and runs as long as I give it excessive throttle, including when I have to brake to a full stop. Prior to this behavior, for several months, it's 'Check Engine' light came on while driving a few times-But not every time, but after turning engine off and restarting - NO 'Check Engine' light, and didn't start stalling until now.

What could be it's problem? What to consider is the cause? Any input would be appreciated. Bobby

Last edited by Rhalejr; 11-06-2023 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2023, 01:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhalejr
Glad to join 2nd Generation forum, and could use some expertise in diagnosing an 3vz-e engine problem. I just had a shop rebuild my engine in Jan. 2023, in lieu or replacing the head gaskets for the 4TH time, (496,000 miles), considering a complete head vat, grind, surface & deck was required. Included, all parts OEM from YotaShop.com : NEW pistons, rings, freeze plugs, multi- gasket, O-ring, seal sets, head gaskets & bolts, valve covers, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, pulleys, tensioner, oil pump, fuel pump, fuel filter, salvaged fuel tank, fuel damper assembly, muffler, air filter, distributor, plugs, plug wires, throttle body air intake hose, battery, bearing sets, thrust washers, vacuum hoses, break-in oil/filter change, etc, etc, good- tested alternator, empty CAT in-place in lieu of a new straight pipe replacement

My 4ruuner starts, idles, and runs fine, BUT after running and warming up - engine starts sputtering and stalls upon braking to a stop, or making a slow 90* turn. I can quickly shift to neutral, & give it excessive throttle, and it starts right up and runs as long as I give it excessive throttle, including when I have to brake to a full stop. Prior to this behavior, for several months, it's 'Check Engine' light came on while driving a few times-But not every time, but after turning engine off and restarting - NO 'Check Engine' light, and didn't start stalling until now.

What could be it's problem? What to consider is the cause? Any input would be appreciated. Bobby
quoted for the blacktext guys.
The following users liked this post:
Rhalejr (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 01:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like the idle is too low, or the brake booster line has a vacuum leak, or the power steering pump idle up valve isn't working, or the EGR valve could be leaking a little at idle and not closed all the way.
That being said, the shop should be willing to do a free diag since they just got paid a crap load of money to do all that work and should have caught this issue during their test drive...
The following users liked this post:
Rhalejr (11-08-2023)