Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New To Yota Tech 87 4 runner sr5

Old 01-18-2015, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New To Yota Tech 87 4 runner sr5

Hello all, Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is...92ehatch I'm from the world of Hondas, and very mechanically inclined. Im now trying to familiarize myself with this new toy/child hauler

I acquired an 87 4runner sr5 w/22re from my grandfather. He was the original owner of said vehicle and gave it to me. I remember riding in this thing when i was a kid and spending lots of time tugging a fishing boat in the summers.

Anyways, as with any old vehicle, it has some issues. It has sat for 2 years so the sun ate up the interior, and of course, things have failed. If anyone knows where i might find the factory red interior pieces it would help(i can find brown and grey all day long)

I put a new alternator, water pump, thermostat, and drive belts.

I have new wheel bearings to fix that annoying wobble in the front wheel and will soon be doing some basic tune up (plugs wires cap rotor)

I found a DIY for the temp gauge shooting to 50% in the sticky FAQ (awesome now i get to take apart another cluster...94 civic, 99 sunfire, now 87 4 runner)

The biggest issue i have at the moment, low rough idle...usually once warm, and only when its cold outside (it is winter...i think)

I blocked off the EGR (no difference)
I checked the PCV valve, its good.
I cleaned the Throttle Body, no difference.

I notice if i adjust the TB air screw it idles better, with some stumbling, but creates a hissing noise from around the air box/power steering pump.

I tried to find the IACV, hondas are on the TB or IM, this one....i cant find it.

any insight would be great. thanks for viewing.

ill be scouring the other threads for possible answers
Attached Thumbnails New To Yota Tech 87 4 runner sr5-img_20140907_172448_349.jpg  

Last edited by 92ehatch; 01-18-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:38 PM

Welcome to Yotatech! Your runner is very nice! I suggest keeping an eye for red interior pieces on your local Craigslist and Ebay. The temp gauge is a fun fix, but I'm a believer in a aftermarket temp gauges on these 22REs.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:48 PM

i got it in september. Since then i've seen one red interior 4 runner show up. it had already been robbed of the pieces i needed.

the dash is split (i think they all do this)

the door handle cups are coming apart in bits, the handles are pink, the b pillar trims flaked apart, but luckily the interior paint behind them looks better than plastic, so i just removed them.

im almost ready to do a partial red partial grey interior

window cranks, handles, armrest/console, seats, belts and buckles.

will probably do a rear shoulder belt setup since i haul my kids back there.

the seats are horrible, a horse chewed up the drivers bolster....while my grandpa was sitting in it and im using a fluffy purple pillow for my back...

i love this truck though and cant wait for spring to start fixing some random bits.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:04 PM

Just found red handles on rock auto. Holy crap. Got all three, two mirrors, bumper end cap . Sweet.

Any ideas on where to get a front seat buckle? Are the passenger and driver buckles the same? Thanks
Old 01-21-2015, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
Just found red handles on rock auto. Holy crap. Got all three, two mirrors, bumper end cap . Sweet.

Any ideas on where to get a front seat buckle? Are the passenger and driver buckles the same? Thanks
Not sure where to get the seat buckles but i know they are different. The drivers side has the sensor in it for the seatbelt. Though mine hasnt ever been plugged in. Let me check my parts cache, i may still have my red ones. i swapped my interior to all brown.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a soft spot for the red and gold runners. Great looking truck. I too have a red interior runner. It is the white 88 in the link below. You can get red interior paint mixed up and when cleaned, prepped and painted right, it looks and last great. On the door handle pieces, for a quick and cheap fix, switch side which will make them go upside down and put the bad looking part facing down.

I have used gray pieces and repainted them brown will work just as well. On the first page of my threads I post a where to find info for such things that should help. Most are on the 88.

IACV is above AC Compressor attached to the Intake Manifold.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-21-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have a soft spot for the red and gold runners. Great looking truck. I too have a red interior runner. It is the white 88 in the link below. You can get red interior paint mixed up and when cleaned, prepped and painted right, it looks and last great. On the door handle pieces, for a quick and cheap fix, switch side which will make them go upside down and put the bad looking part facing down.

I have used gray pieces and repainted them brown will work just as well. On the first page of my threads I post a where to find info for such things that should help. Most are on the 88.

IACV is above AC Compressor attached to the Intake Manifold.
Both top and bottom of the cups are split on the handles, i found some cheap though.

Thanks for iac location.

Also, the seatbelt buckles, if you can find those red ones i would love to have them. I know the switch is in the drivers one, but the buckles look like they may swap over.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
Both top and bottom of the cups are split on the handles, i found some cheap though.

Thanks for iac location.

Also, the seatbelt buckles, if you can find those red ones i would love to have them. I know the switch is in the drivers one, but the buckles look like they may swap over.
Sorry, I looked and I don't have them anymore.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by AZkid
Sorry, I looked and I don't have them anymore.
Thanks man.