Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New springs installed!

Old 10-29-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New springs installed!

So my rear end has been sagging, heres a pic.....

so i ordered some moog springs, great price around $60 for the set, and this weekend set out to replace the springs. Being this was the first time since i picked up the truck, that i did any suspension work on her, it took be a little bit to figure everything out, but time type of work is nothing new to me, once i got orientated with everything it was pretty quick to get it done. here's some after pics....

wow! now thats a sweet looking rear end!

Last edited by Alperovich; 10-29-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good, I did the same to my 95 runner, and man what a difference. the back end came up about 3". also rides much better. I hope it works out for you as good as it did for me. Good Luck
Old 10-29-2006, 09:21 AM

yea, the ride is alot better! and i difference is huge, before it was actaully lifting my front end up, now its all good.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:28 AM

Looks good! Want to do the same thing on my '91, where did you get the springs and how hard of a job is it?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:55 AM

i got the springs from rockauto.com

its not that hard if you have the proper tools. it requires putting the truck on stands kinda high, unbolting the track bar, shocks and sway bar then dropping the axle, you might have to twist the axle sideways to get to travel and get the spring out.

Last edited by Alperovich; 10-29-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Alperovich
yea, the ride is alot better! and i difference is huge, before it was actaully lifting my front end up, now its all good.
I had mine installed . With springs and labor it cost me $240.00 not worth doing it yourself.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:15 AM

worth doing it yourself? i paid only $60, spent 1.5hrs working on my truck and drank a beer. defiantly worth doing urself. thats an xtra 180 i can spent on something else like other things that need to be fixed.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:16 AM

Looks great.. On my to do list.. What shocks are you using?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:23 AM

right now original but i'm looking to get new ones all around, thats one of the things on my to do list, lol...
Old 10-30-2006, 06:50 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Alperovich
right now original but i'm looking to get new ones all around, thats one of the things on my to do list, lol...
Please can you be more specific about the "all around ones"?

I`ve got a 99 4Runner w/ 80.000 miles and planning to replace my original shocks.

So if possible let me know your pick and also, why technically do you choose them.

Thanks.Tordo.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:22 AM

tordo,

I think he meant getting four new shocks, one for each wheel

Alp,

you got a sweet truck, man, looks way better w/o the buttsag. next you just gotta take off those mud flaps and running boards...
Old 10-30-2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ertified4Runner
tordo,

I think he meant getting four new shocks, one for each wheel

Alp,

you got a sweet truck, man, looks way better w/o the buttsag. next you just gotta take off those mud flaps and running boards...
yea, thats what i ment, i'm not sure what shocks to get yet, open to suggestions.

as for the mud flaps, i'm taking the rear off, since i only have one but i like the front one, and the running board is staying. I truck should have running boards. I've decided on this long ago, check the pic in my sig of my durango, i love running boards and have poeple who get in my truck who use them. no worries though. Thanx for the compliments.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your truck looks really good man. Always loved the 2nd gens. Wuts up with the rear tire?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle95sr5
your truck looks really good man. Always loved the 2nd gens. Wuts up with the rear tire?
Thanx! i have three bald tires and one new tire. so i put the spare in the back with the other good tire. so now i have two bald in the front, and new in the rear. its temps, tomorrow i'm going to install my new tires at school if i get a chance to use the equipment.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by keithguts
I had mine installed . With springs and labor it cost me $240.00 not worth doing it yourself.

?!?!Huh??????

I paid $76 for mine and it took a little less than thirty minutes to change the springs. How could it NOT be worth doing yourself? That is the same as someone just coming along and handing you $164.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by rezrunner92
That is the same as someone just coming along and handing you $164.
um...nope

How could it NOT be worth doing yourself?
I did mine myself, great learning experience, but it was a real pain in the arse. not everyone's mechanically inclined, nor do they necessarily care to be, or care to learn (not sayin anyone posting here fits this category, though). it just ain't everyone's cup o tea--that's what shops or friends are for!
Old 10-30-2006, 06:12 PM

The reason people aren't mechanically inclined is because they don't have to do anything for themselves. Their parents wipe their butts for them from the time they are 3 minutes old to the time they are 30 years old, (or more). I realize not everyone has to do everything but nothing makes me sicker than a guy with manicured hands who can't even tell you what size motor his vehicle has in it. I once had a guy try to tip me for showing him how to check his oil! I told him, "No thanks I just took two of your paychecks for the work you had done, I think you can use it more than me."

That is the problem with society today, modern medicine, parents and "society" keep stringing along and protecting people whom natural selection would take out in 15 minutes given the chance. We are progressively dumbing down and ruining the human race. At least in America.

The less one has to rely on others, the more satisfaction and enjoyment one can enjoy.

The person who started the thread had already replaced the springs themselves and done a fine job. What kind of brain spasm would make someone tell him it wasn't worth doing himself?

And yeah, saving money and making money are the same thing in my book.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason people aren't mechanically inclined is because they don't have to do anything for themselves. Their parents wipe their butts for them from the time they are 3 minutes old to the time they are 30 years old, (or more). I realize not everyone has to do everything but nothing makes me sicker than a guy with manicured hands who can't even tell you what size motor his vehicle has in it. I once had a guy try to tip me for showing him how to check his oil! I told him, "No thanks I just took two of your paychecks for the work you had done, I think you can use it more than me."

That is the problem with society today, modern medicine, parents and "society" keep stringing along and protecting people whom natural selection would take out in 15 minutes given the chance. We are progressively dumbing down and ruining the human race. At least in America.

The less one has to rely on others, the more satisfaction and enjoyment one can enjoy.

The person who started the thread had already replaced the springs themselves and done a fine job. What kind of brain spasm would make someone tell him it wasn't worth doing himself?

And yeah, saving money and making money are the same thing in my book.

AMEN to that one :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:
Old 10-30-2006, 06:40 PM

That is the problem with society today, modern medicine, parents and "society" keep stringing along and protecting people whom natural selection would take out in 15 minutes given the chance. We are progressively dumbing down and ruining the human race.
no finer demonstration of this than a 4runner coil spring replacement (rather, not doing it)
Old 10-30-2006, 06:43 PM

LOL or brake and driveline maintennance. BTW I didn't mean to direct my ranting at anyone just society in general. I had a Dodge whipping my but all day.

As a pro I have the utmost respect for you guys who are do it yourselfers whether by choice or by economic necessity. I have been a diy er for both reasons.

Last edited by rezrunner92; 10-30-2006 at 06:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New springs installed!