Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New Owner of a 1995 4runner with transmission Question

Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner of a 1995 4runner with transmission Question

Sorry if this is a bit long. First off am new to the forums here been reading around a bit trying to find out what root I really want to go, and a new owner of a 95 4runner build it July of 95. Ill start off with the good. I picked it up for around 1000 dollars. It got 183,000 on her now and the motor had the top end rebuild around 151,000. It Got new 31" tires on it along with a 2" lift kit might be a 3". New breaks rotor where just turned on it before it was parked. Got to say I am very happy with it. Know for the bad on her. The transmission was replaced some where around 3,000 to 6,000 miles ago. After it was changed it started over heating and had a flush done then started having shift issues and was parked for almost a year. We I hated to see it get parted out so i bought it for the winter and off roading along with roads trips thinking it would be a easy fix. When it got warm it would not shift out of high gear so first think i did was checked the transmission fluid and add some to it because it was about a quart low dew to a bad seal This help it for about 100 to 200 miles then it went back to doing it again I had been add checking the fluid in it. Then it got to when it was cold not wanting to shift out of first or second gear when till it got warm but once it had shifted out of first or second it wouldn't shift back down. Know its to the point where it seem like its aways stuck in high gear cold or hot (seem to work right in 4low). After doing some reading i thought it was the transmission solenoid so i changed them yesterday along with doing a transmission flush. This didn't a bit, so as a last ditch effect I add Lucius to see if that would help and guess what it didn't. So the next step is to replace it because a rebuild would cost a lot more then I can drop into it but i have been thinking about changing it over to a 5 speed I believe i would enjoy it alot better off roading and would get a little more mpg out of it. I have found this two post.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-runner-82939/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...d-swap-117391/

If I understand this right a 93 to 95 would be better to us then something form a 88-92. A lot easier anyways, I saw a few pictures but most where gone dew to the age of the post i guess. Any input would be great or if some one has done there input would be great. I am hoping to get the old girl back on the road before winter I believe she has a lot of life left and here a few pictures. Thanks for any and all help.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

By far the easy way to do this is to buy a donor vehicle that way you have all the parts right there.

This way you have all the parts keep what else you want and then scrap the rest.

I have found it saves so much time in the long run chasing after little nickle and dime parts .

Put all new hydraulic parts I have found it much easier to make new steel lines then try and use the old ones.

on some vehicles you need to open up the hole for the shifters for clearance

If you and a friend`s can`t do the work it would be more economic to sell this one and buy just what you want.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by TNRabbit; 11-05-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input, I did a little calling around to some junk yards to day and found a 5 speed with the master and slave petals and lines for around 800. This just leave getting the clutch i believe. So am going to try and work with them on picking the stuff up. I don't see it being hard to replace the tranny as i have pull motor and replaced trannys before. But this is the biggest under taking I have done. But this is by far a lot cheaper then having the auto rebuild and the fact is i will be a lot happier with it. So i guess the next thing I need to do is go under and get the size of both drive shaft and how far apart the blots are to see if am going to half to change them out also. Then next will be the wiring that's the part that am not real sure about as mine does have the cruse control on it. Thanks for the help so far.