Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New to me 89 4Runner

Old 06-05-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribed. After reading through, you might've convinced me to keep the 22R engine in my newly acquired 84 4Runner. To be honest, I have zero clue about Weber carb and was considering swapping it to an EFI engine I have an access to.

Cheers!

Duke
Old 06-06-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im gonna continue working on this one next week. Im making a run to the west coast thursday and then finish moving into my shop in cocoa this weekend.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 PM

Back on the rebuild. I decided to go ahead and do the rings. The first and third piston had a little too much slop. Ive done these in the same condition without re-ringing and they ran for a few more hundred thousand miles. Although they sounded a little like a deisel. Also found the tps is toast, and the head gasket that came with the DNJ kit looked poor at best so im going OEM. If anyone has a tested TPS im your huckleberry, just let me know how much. Thanks
Old 06-23-2017, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I used DNJ rebuild kits in the past and never had any problems with them. Now I get my gasket kits from my local machine shop and have been real happy with their kits. A friend of mine does a lot of work on Toyotas around here and when it comes to head work, he just gets the complete head kit from ebay and I have yet to see on fail. The last head I replaced was from ebay and is still working great on the truck I installed it on and that was a couple of years ago.

I used to go with the head factory head gasket and it is good but that was when I was new to Toyotas and what I read on here about them. I still use factory tune up parts but on head work I go with my local machine shop. Another thing I have come to the conclusion on is when these trucks blow a head gasket, it is not from the head gasket itself failing but from the head bolts loosening up on them in most cases. From my experience it seems to be the exhaust side head bolts and usually around #2 and #4 cylinders head bolts.

I know you are not dealing with a failed gasket and was asking about the DNJ head gasket. I dont care for China parts as well. On another side note as far as foreign parts,my 85 had a CAPA certified replacement fender on it and it was from Taiwan. At first I was dismayed seeing the tag still on the fender from from Taiwan. I then got to comparing it to an original fender and I have to say it was better built and thicker metal then the factory fender.

I still have that fender and the only reason I replaced it was it had a dent in it. I had a perfect factory fender to install on my 85 and used it. The Taiwan fender is still in my shed and is one I could easily fix and will use one day. I still cringe at China parts but some have come a long ways and every now and then I have to use one. Still dont like using them but will in a pinch.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:56 AM

Received 828 Likes on 555 Posts
I saw your black '89 on Craigslist. Yeah, i was looking all over the country before i found my '86. I remember thinking the seller should have at least vacuumed the leaves out before taking pictures. Congrats! I'll be following your build/resto.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by HiLuxer
Subscribed. After reading through, you might've convinced me to keep the 22R engine in my newly acquired 84 4Runner. To be honest, I have zero clue about Weber carb and was considering swapping it to an EFI engine I have an access to.

Cheers!

Duke
Duke i am a fan of the carb engines. So much less clutter. The webers do real well with an electric pump and a regulator.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I used DNJ rebuild kits in the past and never had any problems with them. Now I get my gasket kits from my local machine shop and have been real happy with their kits. A friend of mine does a lot of work on Toyotas around here and when it comes to head work, he just gets the complete head kit from ebay and I have yet to see on fail. The last head I replaced was from ebay and is still working great on the truck I installed it on and that was a couple of years ago.

I used to go with the head factory head gasket and it is good but that was when I was new to Toyotas and what I read on here about them. I still use factory tune up parts but on head work I go with my local machine shop. Another thing I have come to the conclusion on is when these trucks blow a head gasket, it is not from the head gasket itself failing but from the head bolts loosening up on them in most cases. From my experience it seems to be the exhaust side head bolts and usually around #2 and #4 cylinders head bolts.

I know you are not dealing with a failed gasket and was asking about the DNJ head gasket. I dont care for China parts as well. On another side note as far as foreign parts,my 85 had a CAPA certified replacement fender on it and it was from Taiwan. At first I was dismayed seeing the tag still on the fender from from Taiwan. I then got to comparing it to an original fender and I have to say it was better built and thicker metal then the factory fender.

I still have that fender and the only reason I replaced it was it had a dent in it. I had a perfect factory fender to install on my 85 and used it. The Taiwan fender is still in my shed and is one I could easily fix and will use one day. I still cringe at China parts but some have come a long ways and every now and then I have to use one. Still dont like using them but will in a pinch.
Hey Terry. The gasket did fail on the exhaust side. I was thinking because the previous owner only had a few manifold nuts on that maybe back pressure had something to do with it. Getting these old trucks running is tough, especially when its been in several hands and severely abused. As far as the parts go, your right, sometimes its our only options. I ended up getting a Felpro gasket with the copper shims. It seemed to be a better product. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by Melrose 4r
I saw your black '89 on Craigslist. Yeah, i was looking all over the country before i found my '86. I remember thinking the seller should have at least vacuumed the leaves out before taking pictures. Congrats! I'll be following your build/resto.
Lol. Man the kid was a knucklehead to be polite. Id thought i had learned my lesson when i purchased my 80 4x4 from a young guy in georgia to not buy from anyone younger than my kids. They tinker too much and abuse even more. Ill get it tho. Thanks for checking in!
Old 07-09-2017, 02:30 PM

The 4Runner is done and running well. I ended up staying with the efi. Changed all vac hoses, tps, a lot of wiring that was nibbled on by varmints. The first and third cylinders had some slop when the head was off so it's got new rings and some machining. Seems like it has taken forever to finish. I still have to fill the ac system with dye and see where my leak is.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:40 PM

Old 07-10-2017, 03:29 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Nice Tony, you made pretty quick work of it all - is that a new head from Engbldr? Did you find a used OEM TPS or did you buy a new one?
Old 07-10-2017, 06:57 AM

Hey Cory, my buddy had a head ready to go. I gave him $200 for it. Also got the tps used from him as well for $20.

I grabbed that 95 down in Davie that you sent me. Thank you! It looks like new. If I dont sell it whole, i will swap in a 3.0 from a 90 Ive got.

How was vacation? I saw a couple of your posts but have been busy and havent been on YT much. Have a good one!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:29 AM

Tony - man you get around the state don't you! That 95 4Runner was very nice, I was tempted to buy it myself but I don't really need a project, don't really have the space, and probably not the time either. Thankfully we were headed away on vacation so the temptation was short lived. Glad you got it. NC was really great, the weather up there was so nice and we did tons of activities with the kids, plus I got to hit a great offroading spot twice. I flew down here and left my 4Runner up there, I'm headed back up there July 21 for another 7 or 8 days, might be able to squeeze in 1 more trip to that trail. Really really enjoyed it. Worst part for me is always the LOOONG drive through the hot state of FL.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:26 PM

Brought the 4runner home today. It runs great but has a slight miss when cruising. When accelerating its smooth as silk. Any opinions fellas?

Also installed the rear window, greased up the tracks, did the bypass and it's now working as it should
Old 07-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by flg8r22
My 86 that i bought new from the dealer was dead quiet. .
Not sure how i missed this thread, my first toyota was an 86 4Runner I bought new too off the lot.
4runner is cleaning up nicely
Old 07-27-2017, 03:50 PM

Tony, maybe bad spot in your TPS?
Old 07-27-2017, 04:43 PM

Thanks Robb, and Cory I hope not. It's the new one. Well, new to me. It tested good. I hope I didn't suck some junk into the injectors
Old 07-27-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a TPS off a 1987 22RE for $25 including shipping. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:20 AM

So it wasn't the TPS after all. On the side of the road in the dark, I found a boot of a spark plug wire at the distributor cap arcing on to a hose clamp. Brand new set of NGK wires and she's as smooth as silk.

So today I installed the second GEN seat and console. It's just mocked up because I'm gonna put the carpet in there as well. Darlin 3.0 feels like a brand new woman. According to my build sheet, she came with a jump seat so there's no seat belts or seat back receivers time for some fab
Old 08-03-2017, 04:25 AM

Tony - those 2nd Gen front seats look very plush, can you mount them right in? What about the pass side slider?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:41 AM

Hey Cory. The driver seat will take the outer most front bolt. For the inner I have to drill the hole a little larger. The rear of the drivers seat will require new holes. I may try to install the first gen tracks on the new seats to get the slide action. I guess if I could find a 2nd gen two door, it would all be gravy. The rear seats are going to require fabrication so they'll be safe for my grand kids. Mostly the latch for the seat backs. The carpet fits well. I just need to shampoo and dry it. I can't wait to not hear so much road noise.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Interior work is looking great! I liked my second Gen front buckets that were in my 86' they were really comfortable...I may try to find another set for my 87, after all the work I did making the Honda CRV seats fit, they still sit a little too high for my taste. I crack my head on the door jamb getting in and out sometimes lol. I've read that you can swap the seat tracks from the first Gen to the second Gen seats, I haven't tried it though. Keep up the good work brutha!

Search this Thread