Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to me 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What brand are those? They look alot better then my 30s, aka 29s lol.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Flexing out the IFS!!!

Well I have the 33's mounted and am liking them. Getting her aligned next Wednesday so I'm not driving her till then. I had to see if they would tuck nicely though. All I had was a big stump in the back yard...

Front fits nicely...

The rear is a bit closer...but ok for now I suppose.

This might be a bit close...

Ya it was a bit close...It was hit on that side so it was in a bit more that it should have been. I was taking it off anyway, this was just an incentive.

Once I get the bumper removed, well at least the side panels off I'll be ok. Then time for a new rear bumper and swing out tire mount...Just time and money...
Old 06-09-2009, 06:31 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
man I Just found this thread , If I would have seen this earlier I could have sent you a bumper that was 100% better than the one you have .shipping only !!!

Nobody wanted it here locally but it was in good condition , I sent it to the scrap yard.

this is the only pic i have of it.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:38 PM

I wish you would have said something...I bought the lower control arms off ya??? That bumper has been beat and hit more times than I can imagine...I have no choice but to pull it. Well I was going to anyway before the incident...
Old 06-09-2009, 07:18 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Being in california , Im not used to seeing all that rust ...Man I feel for you guys up yonder.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:23 PM

This thing was not taken care of at all...I'm trying to get her together. Salt and mud not a good combo...
Old 10-01-2009, 05:23 PM

UnOffically Official Build thread

Well instead of starting a new thread I'll just run with this on...

Updates on the old girl...Had a great run at Beaver Run Dirt Days...
Just in case you wanna see https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/beaver-run-188678/ I know, I know, too much tire spin and air down more... Will remember for the next run.

Since then I notice way too much rub in the rear and well just way too saggy. sooooo I picked up some LC Coils and a drop bracket from a good guy from here, 904_runner...Thanks again!!!

Before I could get started on this had to fix the fuel leak...thought it was the tank but looked further into it and remembered there was a small access hole under the passenger back seat. Found out it was a coupling not the dented tank...

Getting it all together was not bad...what really stunk is that after all this she'd crank but not fire. Ran on starter fluid but nothing else.

Drove me nuts for about 3 hours. jumped the Fuel pump at the front, still nothing, jumped the pump at the pump, I could hear it running would not start.
So I pulled it apart again and turned the key, no fuel came out. So I took my jumper wires hit the pump nothing came out. So I dumped 3 gallons in and the damn thing spit fuel out, put the connectors together and she fired right up!!! I guess the dent in the tank would not let the fuel to the other side, yes it was way low.

So tonight I start on the springs...go to remove the panhard bar and the nut came off but the damn bolt will not come out. While beating on it I guess I broke loose a bunch of rust because it started leaking from the LSPV (or what ever that stupid valve is called). So now I have brake fluid in my mouth...

I did get the panhard off the drivers side and the bracket off the leaking valve thingy. So I soaked it down with more BP and waiting till tomorrow...

So now it's time for a few...
Old 10-01-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugggghhh! Good luck pryin' that off...lets hope the enzymatic action of PB blaster works it's magic
Old 10-01-2009, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
heyy..i just recently joined the 2nd gen runner club!!! got mine for $1250 and its got a 4in lift and some 33" BFG M/T's..but it also has a knockin' 3vz....but it is 5spd!..hahaha and..NO RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Just notices your front headrests are from the rear seats

The sr5 headrests tilt forward with a rachet style system... just so you know hehe
Old 10-02-2009, 03:51 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
heyy..i just recently joined the 2nd gen runner club!!! got mine for $1250 and its got a 4in lift and some 33" BFG M/T's..but it also has a knockin' 3vz....but it is 5spd!..hahaha and..NO RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, Well, Well. I was wondering what happened to you. Glad to see it all worked out for you!

LUMPY...you got yourself wuite a little money pit going on there. JEEEZOUS you got alot of yuck under that truck. Did the PO leave it parked in a drainage ditch or what?? Holy hell ,I don't thing mine looks like that and I thought mine was bad.

OK....none of that was encouraging

But seriously, you got yourself some nice projects there....funny, you and I are identical in that aspect. I have the 92 truck with the 22re and we have the 88 4Runner w/ the 3.0. So when it's rebuild time for our 3.0, you should have your's done already!!!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:30 PM

I know, I know, the old girl has some issues but I'll keep her going.

the saga continues...working more on the rear end tomorrow after I get my grandfather move. I hope to get on it before 3.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:27 PM

Pan Hard Bar Bolt

Now I've been battling with this damn bolt for a few hours on a few different days.

I have the Bar off the axle which was not all that bad but trying to get the bolt off the other end seems to be an issue. What the hell is the deal??? At first I thought it was the bushing that was holding it in place. The bar kinda hung there and I could move it but there was a bunch of resistance from the bushing.

So today I heated the bolt as hot as a Propane torch would heat and I continued to beat on it to no avail. Damn thing is still stuck. I was able to move it about an 1/8th of an inch so I bent the tab over a little so I could turn the bolt and It spins all the way around...with a little help. The bar now is sitting on the ground and it will move up and down. I think the bracket holding the bar has bent out a bit, I've been waling on it with a 3lbs persuader.

So after all that I decided to get the old SawsAll out and proceed to trash 2 blades on the #8 bolt (should have known better).

I'm thinking just get the little angel grinder from me Pa and have at it. I really don't want to lug the hot wrench from work...it's just a pain in the butt.

Any other thought????
Old 10-06-2009, 06:00 PM

One done One to go!!!

Well I gave up on the Pan Hard Bar for now...I did get an angle grinder but the disk was a bit small. Neither Busy Beaver nor Trader Horn had a disk to fit so I said the hell with it and started on the springs.

So after a bit of blood, sweat, and beer (only 2) I have one in. What a pain in the ass. For now I have the stock shocks in and I think they'll work for a bit anyway.

I didn't get pic's of the springs before the tire...

Before...

After...

Only good shot of the side before I started, this has the 31's on it as well.

After, mind you the only side done tonight is the passenger.

While I was putting the spring in the compressors slipped to one side and wrapped my knuckles on something...hurts like hell but I don't think I broke anything.

Tomorrow I plan on getting the other spring done and eliminating the LSPV. I have no brakes cuz it's leaking like hell.

More to come...
Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you aint bleedin, you aint workin.

I bet everything is a pain with all the rust. Good work so far.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:19 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
KNUCKLE BUSTER!!

Tetanus shot????

Yeah, looks like a pain in the butt. I guess that was never undercoated or something.

OY!
Old 10-07-2009, 05:32 AM

Thanks guys...ya she is a real pain with all that rust but it is coming along.

Tetanus shots...yes my last one was due to a paintball incident. We have some nasty thorn trees around here and one of the 3" thorns went through my boot so I had to have it dug out and a few stitches as well as a new shot to go with it.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:56 PM

Alright, it all went much better tonight. Got the other spring installed and it all went much smoother. Not I just gotta get brakes and I'll be able to drive her.

Need to find some compression fittings That are about 5mm I have the 3/16 and the 1/4 one is small the other is big. Didn't even think about them being metric... -sigh- Going to see what I can find at Lowes tomorrow if not I'm going to have to modify what I have.

I'll have pictures to follow later, to dark to see her well.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:20 PM

LSPV Removal Mod

Alright, I finally got the LSPV out and the the brake lines sorted out. I had a hell of a time trying to find a 3/16 T compression fittings. So after tearing out and cracking another line. I threw it together without the rear brakes...decided that was not a good idea so I went and picked up another line with a flare fitting. Installed this and started bleeding the rear and found another leak...so I cut out the bad part and now I have all 4 brakes working!!!

Daylight pic of with both springs in the rear...she's raked a bit now so BJ spacers in the future (more like spring).

And another...

Starting the first fix

Ok only front for now...

NO more LSPV

Decided I probably should have rear brakes

Another Damn leak....

All better for now...

All in all it was another productive and positive evening...
Old 10-08-2009, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey lumpy,might want to carry a 55 gallon drum and shovel in the back.First deep pothole you hit and that 4runner is going to crumble into a pile of rust dust.I think it was parked underwater,scientific rust experiment?..just messin with u lumpy,u gotta lot of work on your hands,good luck.

Quick Reply: New to me 4Runner