Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New to me 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Lumpy - -Thanks!

Thank you for posting your pics of the rust... I am in Cali with a '92 4Runner and I have a 1 yr assignment in D.C. starting next month so I have been tearing my Runner apart lubing and undercoating everything that might get coated with road salt this winter.

Your pictures have been quite helpful in directing me where the rust might form and where it can be serious. AutoZone has Rust-o-leum rubberized undercoating 2/$10 and I've already spent $20.

Also, the Rhino Liner gave me an idea too . . coating the floorboards for better sound insulation. That'll have to wait for another day, tho... but thanks again for the pics!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lumpy, how does that truck pass PA inspection with that much rust?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by RMA
Being in california , Im not used to seeing all that rust ...Man I feel for you guys up yonder.
ha! you call THAT rust? oh man. . . .my poor truck has been in michigan for the last 20 years. it's had a hard life. i haven't seen too many trucks that beat out my rust. even my brush guard is rusting apart. i didn't even know that was possible.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:55 AM

oh, and by the way, can i have the name of the guy you got your truck from? cuz if you got that truck with a non-running 30 year old CB, i'm curious what he'll give me for my RUNNING lawn mower! haha
Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, yes, yes I know she's got a bit of cancer on her but it's not my DD and I really didn't pay for it...soooooo I'm doing alright by that.

As for inspection I go there and wait on it and don't let them poke at it. I drive it less than 5K a year so it's all good. Holes are allowed just nothing jaggy. I'll have her patched up sometime soon.

I'm not sure how many folks have owned it but they didn't really take care of her so I'm getting it done a wee bit at at time.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:30 AM
User Requested Ban

i want a 4 runner, kinda
Old 10-09-2009, 09:35 AM

I started with the truck in Nov. then I came across this prize a few months later. I like the runner for a trail vehicle because I like to take others with me.

The truck I need and use for a DD the runner is just a toy.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:10 AM

WOW! Your underneath is worse than mine! I am still in mid-process of cutting those guide things off the underneath around the spare wheel carrier thing. Once I get those off I will have a lot more room and will start POR-15 the rear section. Wanted to get that buttoned up/clean before I mount and weld my AOR rear bumper.

Edit: I also had the same exact issue with the gas lines. As soon as I would patch up one area and the system would pressurize another leak would spring up. I just womaned up and bought new lines. The biggest pain was dropping the gas tank. I ended up doing it in the dead of winter in PA too. I was laying in snow and had to take a break every 20-30 minutes because my fingers would go numb. Try knuckle busting then! Boyfriend hated it because I wreaked of gas for a week.

Last edited by BoostinChick; 10-09-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:50 AM

I think I'm going to leave the tire guide thingys in...I'm going on install air tanks so I can use the AC compressor to provide on board air. Those brackets will add a wee bit of protection.

I've done enough of my wrenching in the snow to know what you mean...not a jun thing to do. Especially in PA winter cuz you end up with that dreaded mix of snow and rain, just enough to make it that much more miserable.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 AM
User Requested Ban

Originally Posted by BoostinChick
WOW! Your underneath is worse than mine! I am still in mid-process of cutting those guide things off the underneath around the spare wheel carrier thing. Once I get those off I will have a lot more room and will start POR-15 the rear section. Wanted to get that buttoned up/clean before I mount and weld my AOR rear bumper.

Edit: I also had the same exact issue with the gas lines. As soon as I would patch up one area and the system would pressurize another leak would spring up. I just womaned up and bought new lines. The biggest pain was dropping the gas tank. I ended up doing it in the dead of winter in PA too. I was laying in snow and had to take a break every 20-30 minutes because my fingers would go numb. Try knuckle busting then! Boyfriend hated it because I wreaked of gas for a week.

made my day
Old 10-09-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by BoostinChick

i gotta say, i'm impressed. i dropped my tank inside a garage with a kerosene heater, and it sucked for ME! those tanks are a giant PITA to get back into position, i can't imagine doing it while lying in the snow.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:59 PM

I give her a hell of a lot of credit on this one. I was truly dreading dropping my tank, I don't think it would have ever made it back up there. Thankfully I was able to get to the leak through that little access panel.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by ayoung101
i gotta say, i'm impressed. i dropped my tank inside a garage with a kerosene heater, and it sucked for ME! those tanks are a giant PITA to get back into position, i can't imagine doing it while lying in the snow.
It wasn't TOO bad. The worst parts were

1.) Draining the tank that was 3/4 of the way full
2.) During dismount the vapor/breather hose (the one that is along side the filler neck) jammed between the rear cross member and didn't watch to drop. I had to contort a bit to loosen that clamp and rip the sucker off -- not easy when it's rusted.

Other than that it was pretty smooth sailing.

Originally Posted by Lumpy
I give her a hell of a lot of credit on this one. I was truly dreading dropping my tank, I don't think it would have ever made it back up there. Thankfully I was able to get to the leak through that little access panel.
Mine started out the same way. That leak at that bend from the line to the fuel pump flange nut. It held up for a week or two but as soon as the fuel system would pressurize I was getting leaks everywhere.

Check my thread I may have to do a head swap shortly and winter is creeping up on us.

Last edited by BoostinChick; 10-09-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:28 PM

dropping my tank was easy. putting it back up sucked bad. course i didn't knwo about the access panel until just now. crap. that woulda been useful.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:20 AM

Well it was an early morning and an early start. Thanks to Mr. Zack we were able to get the ban hard drop bracket in and longer shocks with a bit of modifying. Could not have finished this up without him or is knowledge...rigging knowledge!!!

She picked up another 1 1/2" by removing the old maxed out stock shocks!!! The shocks I got are not the best nor the correct but they work...I'll get the Blistein someday.

I know it has quite a rake to it but it'll do for now. At least I can go play now and not worry about rubbing!!!
She rubbed like a fat chick in corduroy but not no more!!!

Next Mod will be an Aussie Locker for the rear...Yes they do make them now!!! Then I"ll get the BJ spacers

She rides better than when I first picked her up...A bit more roll but much smoother. I think part of the roll is from not having a front swaybar and then the fact that she's up a bit higher.

Thanks again Zack!!!! You Da Man.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:01 PM

looks good keep up the good work.
Reminds me when I had my 93 4 runner. Here's my old site if you need any more ideas on your build.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/934rnr

Last edited by 934rnr; 10-10-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:31 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
LOOKIN' GOOD bud!
Old 10-10-2009, 06:01 PM

Lumpy, did you do rear coils w/o doing the 1.5" BJ spacer? I wanted to do the BJ spacers/longer shocks when I replaced my ball joints but am scared it would totally screw up the suspension since I would save the LC coils install for later.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:08 PM

Thanks all...It's been a lot of work but I'm getting there.

Boots I have not done the BJ spacers yet...I will someday though. I had to get the rear up because the springs were shot and eating my tires. I could get them to tuck but carring tools a spare and another couple the rear would bottom out, so I had to take care of that first. She is a bit raked but not too terrible. What I plan on is getting 2.5" or 3" BJ spacers and relax the torsion bars to get her level and give more lift as well as travel.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Thanks all...It's been a lot of work but I'm getting there.

Boots I have not done the BJ spacers yet...I will someday though. I had to get the rear up because the springs were shot and eating my tires. I could get them to tuck but carring tools a spare and another couple the rear would bottom out, so I had to take care of that first. She is a bit raked but not too terrible. What I plan on is getting 2.5" or 3" BJ spacers and relax the torsion bars to get her level and give more lift as well as travel.
That much up front? Usually with the LC people do 1.5".

Quick Reply: New to me 4Runner