86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Guy Asking For Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy Asking For Opinions

Hey fellas, glad I found you all here. This is my first 4runner and wanted to see if anyone would chime in on a few Qs I have. I paid 1900 and feel it was a fair buy but whata you guys think? It shows no signs of an accident and no rust at all and the int is in really good condition. I had to tinker with a few things, thanks to your forums I got the rear window working again. The window lock button had been bypassed and the wires were a little loose. The temp guage wasnt working but the wire at the sending unit was a little cracked. The speedo/odom isnt working so thats on my list too. I was gonna have the cat conv cut out, but when I went to the parts store for new wires, plugs, cap and dist, the guy showed me the parts I needed to do it myself so I replaced the exhaust from the cat back all for 90 bucs. I saw some other threads discussing exhaust and I hope the members see this thread so I can tell them that there is nothing to it and you can easily do it yourself and save money on the labor. It had some leaks where new and existing pipe met but muffler mender took care of it nicely since I dont have a mig machine. I read a few threads discussing steering/shaking problems, but mine is pulling to the right with a slight chatter coming from the left front wheel except for when I touch the brake pedal, then it stops. And when I get to around 50 mph I get a shake in the wheel. I see someone has rotated the tires front to back and there is a shade where a weight once was on my front right wheel, maybe it was balanced and taken off for that. I know I need to get them all looked at as far as balance goes. Anyone that can feel free to chime in on your take on that subject. And how does the top come off? Ive searched plenty and cant find anything. I see the four bolts inside where the top meets the cab roof but what else is there to it? Ive included some pics so feel free to give opinions. I just bought this to save on fuel over my c1500. Im sure gas will hit 3 a gallon this summer and that aint cool with a v8. Its a kick in the ass to drive and my dog loves it, she thinks shes all that cuz she is riding inside. Any imput really is appreciated and if I can help any of you with diet/nutrition/strength training lemme know. I moderate on a bodybuilding/powerlifting forum and have been in the game for roughly 10 years. Thats not spam I just dont like coming to the table with nothing to offer is all.
Attached Thumbnails New Guy Asking For Opinions-hpim0355.jpg   New Guy Asking For Opinions-hpim0356.jpg   New Guy Asking For Opinions-hpim0353.jpg  
Old 04-07-2007, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome!

First of all, what year is it and which engine? Auto or manual tranny? Options?

If you haven't purcahased the ignition stuff yet, I'd highly recommend www.sparkplugs.com for great OEM Denso and aftermarket NGK wires, distributor cap, plugs, etc. Go with OEM denso or NGK for the best results. DO NOT ge Bosch ignition products; these engines don't like them.

For the chatter/shake, I'd put the truck up on jack stands, have a buddy hold the steering wheel, and try moving the wheel with your hands on the 12 & 6 o'
clock positions, then the 9 & 3 o'clock positions. Really give it a shake. This will tell you right away if their are any major front end problems. Could be a tire out of balance, but it reads more like a loose axle nut or worn tie rod ends.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say you got a decent deal for $1900, it looks nice. As for the shake, hard to say, I'm with TNRabbit but as with all front ends it could also be as simple as worn shocks. For the chatter; if it stops when you touch the brakes then that's where I'd start looking, brakes, rotor, wheel bearing etc. Start on the outside of the wheel/steering spindle & work your way in. For the top, as far as I know the bolts are the only thing holding the first gen tops on, but you must be sure to apply the proper torque when putting it back on or it will leak from what I hear.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:53 AM

Hey thanks Rabbit. Man I thought I had included all that. Sorry, its an 87 with the 22re and auto tranny with ECT. I really wish it had a 5 speed. No power options but it has a working tilto and alto on the dash. I installed the ignition parts a few weeks ago and it runs better but its no speed demon ya know? And thats cool Im never in a hurry I just need economy at this point. I was planning on getting under the front end as soon as this damn cold and snow gets outa here. Been spring like for a month and now Im looking out the window at snow falling.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:55 AM

Bren Ill tell ya. The chatter started I think after I had turned the hub lock making sure that it at least turned. I didnt drive with it like that and its still in the free position. Im gonna look into that when I can get under it to inspect the front end.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:02 AM

Well if you just got it the up side is....you needed to pull it all apart & inspect/lube it anyway. At least I always do with any new to me vehicles. The brake pads & rotors get inspected & the wheel bearings get re-packed. After you get the wheel balance done that should point you in some directions to look; that & doing what TNRabbit said about raising the vehicle & trying to move the wheel in the positions he said should nail down the problem for you.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:25 AM

Ya know Bren I wanted to lube it when I changed the oil. BUT I dont see any fittings in the typical joints as I do on my Chevy. I mean NONE. Whats that all about? I can see the boots need grease but without fittings Im stuck. maybe Im overlooking something being new to Toyota. Please enlighten me if I am.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:54 AM

Id Trade You! that 4runner is beautiful. Sorry for being off topic.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:17 AM

Thanks Matt. Topic, shmopic, dont sweat it. Whata ya got in trade man? Ill tell ya, I saw this on ebay one morning as soon as he had listed it so I called him and its only 2 hrs away, before I left the house it was getting bids. All it needed was someone to give it a little attention, and these things are just too well built and durrable to let one go like that. Like I said she is a ball to drive but its a real pain getting a car seat in and out of the back of it. I sure do wish I had found a 4 door. They just end up going for more than I can afford or they sell so damn fast I dont have time to even find anything out about them. What I really wanted to do is sell my Silverado and reinvest in a Toyota but timing just wouldnt let me and I have an 8 month old so she and I need to get around some days. Sorry for getting off topic.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:22 PM

LOL, the usual grease zirks aren't there like they are for ball joints, U-joints etc on a chevy, I was simply referring to the wheel bearings, spindle bushing etc. You'll have to pull the wheel & rotor to inspect those for the "chatter" since it stops when you touch the brakes. It's probably just loose brake pads but without hearing what your talking about & only reading the sound, I'm sort of "over advising" if you know what I mean, sort of the better safe than sorry route.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech.

If you need anything for your 1st gen, please consider WabFab.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:49 AM

Youre darn right Wabbitt. At our site we have sponsors and encourage members to use them above any others. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

for top removal, you have to remove the plastic interior trim pieces along the top of the 'box' to gain access to the remaining bolts. there is also a connection in the left rear coner for the rear wiper/washer that has to be disconnected.

VERY IMPORTANT:

iirc, the second last bolt on the drivers side is one NOT to loose. it makes contact with a switch in the fender that completes a circuit when you reinstall the top in order for your rear window, wiper & washer to operate. pick up a haynes or chiltons manual and pay specific attention to the procedure to reinstall the top, not so much torque specs but order of operation to help prevent leaking.

congrats on the 1st gen, it looks in pretty good shape and will give you plenty of smiles! the wabbit has done some pretty amazing things with and to his 87, pick his brain. im sure others will help out when needed, dont be afraid to search and ask.

lee
Old 04-11-2007, 02:51 AM

Well it turns out that my shake was my front wheels out of balance. $5 each was a cheap fix. I need to R&R a top ball joint and the rest of the front end is good to go. Still all factory but still tight. The chatter Im hearing seems to be my drivers side hub. Its trying to lock or something so that will have to be looked into.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:11 AM

Welcome and nice runner!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:10 AM

Joey-
your 4Runner is awesome! It looks just like mine before I painted it. When are you gonna get that top off? It will be tons of fun in the cold. Just dress extra warm and blast the heater, you'll be toasty. Oh, and I would buy that thing for $1900 in a second (well, not right now because I have no money)!
Old 04-11-2007, 06:12 PM

Well Marty thanks to you and leebee (much appreciated) it will be whenever Im ready. It sounds dumb but I look at it each day and think about warmer weather riding with no top on it.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:45 AM

Doesn't sound dumb to me; sounds like someone who enjoys having fun. Glad the shake was a cheap fix....now get it all apart & grease it lol