86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need Wiring Help!!! ASAP

Old 03-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Wiring Help!!! ASAP

Hi Yotatech,

Background:

1993 4runner V6 Auto

A few weeks back I couldn't shift from D to anything. It turned out to be the "STOP" fuse on the drivers side fuse panel. I guess if your taillights don't work, Toyota doesn't want you to be able to drive...Anyway, I got a new fuse (15A) and it worked for a while and then it blew. Now a new fuse wont last long. Many times this can be blamed on trailer wiring but I checked it several times and there is no shorts in the harness.

I am guessing the short is somewhere between the fuse box and the tail lights... That is where my question is:

Where are the wires run between the fuse panel and the taillights? Could I just run new wire?

In the diagram below...It looks like there is a circuit after the fuse...Where is this "Integration Relay" and how can I test it to make sure it is not causing the short.

Thanks! I need to fix this so I can have taillights and shift into drive!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 03:17 PM

Looking in the driver side kick panel, I found a "Speed Control", "Window Control", and "Antenna Relay" but no "Integration Relay", is it one of those?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2008, 03:36 PM

Just guessing I would say the shift lockout solenoid is fried and popping your fuse.Mine did this so I took all that stuff out.Although it will come out of park with or without the key!It is located by the shifter under the plastic cover.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 3yotys
Just guessing I would say the shift lockout solenoid is fried and popping your fuse.Mine did this so I took all that stuff out.Although it will come out of park with or without the key!It is located by the shifter under the plastic cover.
I will try taking out the solenoid and checking the continuity... Sounds like it could be it.

Thanks for the reply
Old 03-15-2008, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
if it is the solenoid u could always just hardwire the fuse, not always the best idea but whatever works
Old 03-15-2008, 04:24 PM

I got to the relay...the PO must have loved spilling things. Does anybody know how to test the solenoid? also what is the black box that its plugged into?

I am guessing the two wires going to it are are power...

Old 03-15-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hwo did you check your trailer harness. 90% of the time it is to blame. You may not be able to physically see the short. Alot of times it is in the plug. I would disconnect it and drive it to see if it fails on you again that way you can rule out the harness for sure
Old 03-16-2008, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by toytech76
hwo did you check your trailer harness. 90% of the time it is to blame. You may not be able to physically see the short. Alot of times it is in the plug. I would disconnect it and drive it to see if it fails on you again that way you can rule out the harness for sure
I ended up isolating each wire by unplugging the vehicle taillight harness behind each tail light (where the trailer stuff connects) and checked continuity between the ground and the stop, turn, and tail wires. They all checked out good. Then I checked the continuity between the vehicle taillight harness and the ground and I found the green/white wire which I think is the brake light, has a short somewhere, thats why I want to check out everything in the chain...

Do you know if the taillight wires pass through the center console area where the solenoid is?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:42 AM

Does anybody know how to take of the in-cab fuse block? There is a bolt on the bottom but I cant get to the top.

thanks
Old 03-16-2008, 11:32 AM

Personal opinion. Don't mess with the integration relay unless you are looking for trouble. Besides they rarely go bad unless they go under water.

Did the problem occur after the installation of some part?

I would have to agree with Toytech76. Most often the trailer wiring harness goes bad. I would take it completely off and see what happens.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:27 AM

My STOP fuse would blow when slush would start melting.
Slush would freeze on the trailer harness plug and when it would get a little warmer and start to melt, I would blow the fuses.
It's the plug
Old 03-17-2008, 08:58 AM

I wanted to find the relays so I could test the connectors and try to isolate the problem.

Well, after cutting off the whole trailer wiring harness, taking out the drivers seat, taking apart the center console, taking apart half of my dash and following each wire I didn't find anything. So I put it all back together and magically it works!

(Knock on wood)

Thanks everybody for your help...Ill be back it they start to blow again