Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

NEED TECH HELP!!! Front end possibly ADD seeve???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED TECH HELP!!! Front end possibly ADD seeve???

Heres the happenings.
5:29s, Truetracs, 33x12.5 MTs

Was high centered today and pushed lightly on the brake to try and engage all tires!

Loud pop from drivers side front, 4x4 went out!
1- half shaft is not broken
2- cant get front end to spin under load but no load and the psngr tire spins
3- drained oil just now NO chunks or discoloration
4- with manual hubs disconnected, truck in 2wd and not started I can turn drvr half shaft and nothing spins I turn psngr half shaft and the drive shaft spins.
5- with psngr side engaged (hub) it wants to spin the tire

I can reach up and grab the front driveshaft and spin it, psngr side turns (even with it NOT being in 4x4)

It seems to have the typical lash it had before and with the drain plug opened I cant hear any weird noises when I spin it but if I engage it and try and drive it it doesnt spin, is it the ADD sleeve or possibly the truetrac?? Any ideas or anyone have this happen?
Old 11-01-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only way to know for sure is to pull it apart.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=399612
Old 11-01-2008, 04:49 PM

trying to avoid that as its a DD.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, you have manual hubs AND ADD? If this is the case, it does sound like it is the ADD.
If not, it sounds like the driverside CV. When you turned the driveshaft with the hubs unlocked, did it just spin the pasenger side, and no movement of the driver side?
Old 11-01-2008, 06:01 PM

Manual hubs, ADD!
Unlocked I can spin the drivers side and it spins freely, I spin hte psngr side and it spins the driveshaft as well as if its in 4x4.
But under power neither wheel spins.
Thought it could possibly be the stub axle on drvrs side. The axle shaft between the cv and goes through the ADD sleeve.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:14 PM

Yeah, your right, it does sound like it is somewhere inbetween the ADD and it's axle shaft.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:30 PM

I re-read it all again, and if you spin the driver side CV, it turns but does not turn your other CV or the driveshaft. So, yes it could be the ADD or the stub axle on the drivers side.
OR there is one other posible thing it could be, and that is that the diverside CV could be broken at the inner CV end that goes into the inner axle shaft. Like what Vermejo fixed here:https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...-shaft-157580/

This has happened to me before, and the easiest way to tell if this is it, is to take a screwdriver and pry it inbetween the axle tube and the inner CV joint(tuilip i'v seen some people call it) if it moves in and out easy (it will be quite noticable), that is what is broke. If not, it is probably something dealing with the ADD, and I can't help you there but Im sure someone else will.

Good Luck

-Kirk
Old 11-01-2008, 07:05 PM

It looks like where they hook together that it bulges a little apart between bo;ts instead of being flat with each other.

BTW thats a good write up.

The big ? is why is the psngr side half shaft still engaged internally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by bullcrew; 11-01-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by red97taco
I re-read it all again, and if you spin the driver side CV, it turns but does not turn your other CV or the driveshaft. So, yes it could be the ADD or the stub axle on the drivers side.
OR there is one other posible thing it could be, and that is that the diverside CV could be broken at the inner CV end that goes into the inner axle shaft. Like what Vermejo fixed here:https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...-shaft-157580/

This has happened to me before, and the easiest way to tell if this is it, is to take a screwdriver and pry it inbetween the axle tube and the inner CV joint(tuilip i'v seen some people call it) if it moves in and out easy (it will be quite noticable), that is what is broke. If not, it is probably something dealing with the ADD, and I can't help you there but Im sure someone else will.

Good Luck

-Kirk
The 86-95 cv axles are different than those and actually bolt to the diff housing, rather than having an inner cv axle shaft.

It sounds like something is up with your ADD sleeve. Have you checked the two vaccuum hoses that hook up to it? If those aren't good, the vaccuum is what engages that sleeve. You can actually see and get to your sleeve without pulling the front diff.

Check out this article for possibly fixing it and getting rid of ADD all together.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/

Also, I believe the passenger side is always engaged internally on the ADD diff and the driverside gets engaged with the sleeve.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:19 AM

Good article, Ill pull the shift fork assembley off today and look in, there should be some sort of break, strip or loose piece in there if its in the ADD system if not then its pulling the front end!
Thanks, keep suggestions or experience coming guys!