86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Some Turbo Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Some Turbo Help

OK my buddy has a 87 factory turbo 4runner and the turbo has been leaking oil for a bit now.
well he asked me to get some input on what he should do

today it went south and is not working at all
he has another factory turbo that has been used and he dose not know the condition of it and also has a brand new garrett T4.
how hard would it be to put in the garrett in his truck he dose not want to mess with the old one if it dose not work right.
or can you you buy rebuild kits for the factory turbos.

I need some input from members who own or have worked on the factory turbo 4runners.
he is strapped for cash right now and needs to fix his truck just had his second kid and needs this truck running.

if anyone has some good links for working on the turbos or replacing it with a garrett T4 please post it up or even a temporary quick bypass fix for the time being.
THANKS in advance
Old 03-10-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CyMoN
OK my buddy has a 87 factory turbo 4runner and the turbo has been leaking oil for a bit now.
well he asked me to get some input on what he should do

today it went south and is not working at all
he has another factory turbo that has been used and he dose not know the condition of it and also has a brand new garrett T4.
how hard would it be to put in the garrett in his truck he dose not want to mess with the old one if it dose not work right.
or can you you buy rebuild kits for the factory turbos.

I need some input from members who own or have worked on the factory turbo 4runners.
he is strapped for cash right now and needs to fix his truck just had his second kid and needs this truck running.

if anyone has some good links for working on the turbos or replacing it with a garrett T4 please post it up or even a temporary quick bypass fix for the time being.
THANKS in advance

The easiest and cheapest replacement would be a CT-26 from a supra. It's cheap, it will bolt on with minor mods, and the oil feed/drail/coolant lines will work with minor tweeking.

If he's got a t4 turbo, unless it's one of the very rare small trim version, it's too large. Consider a t3 turbo from a SVO, XR4TI, turbo coupe, etc... The t3 flange can be adapted to the toyota ct20 manifold.. I think a few people sell the adapter.

Boost will still be limited to 7-8psi before fuel cut off.

I ran a t3/t04b hybrid for a while. It's too big.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:35 AM

I found a company down in Australia that sells the adapter, good price but shipping might kill it.

Jeff Mosk has the plan for a CT20 to T3 adapter that I used to have one built. I might have one for sale in the next little while. the guy made me a prototype, and then wants to build a nicer one...it's free I'm not griping.

The thing I'd have to mention about a CT26 is that there are different flanged CT26's. The CT26 that came on the Supra does not have the same flange as the CT26 that came on the MR2. I foudn this when looking for one.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:44 PM

can they be rebuilt?

or can my buddy buy a rebuild kit for his
Old 03-12-2007, 07:36 AM

You can find rebuild kits for them, again not as cheap as a T3/T4 kit, but not bad. eBay usually has them.

Question would be though: do you really want to rebuild it? It's not a great turbo to begin with, so for a little more than a rebuild you get a much better turbo.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes... (as mentioned above) - you generally need to be proactive in the rebuild though. Once they stop working, that's usually some major damage to the housing or turbines and it gets expensive. Ideally you check the play before having them break down.

Also, the exhaust housing tends to crack due to being connected to a hard exhaust system. From what I understand, most repairs dont work and the replacement is expensive.